• Every time I use the last egg I put 6 pieces of kibble into the empty box and close it up for her to work out how to get them out. She hits the box repeatedly to make it spin over until each one falls out.

• I've mentioned before that I teach my Basenjis the names of their toys. I did this more with Perry than the others. One game I played was to hide some of the toys and ask him to retrieve a specific one by name. No points given for retrieving the wrong one!

• I've used puzzle toys like the one in the photo. It depends on the basenji - some are much smarter than others (just like people). I used to trade puzzles with another basenji slave to keep it "fresh". I had one basenji who was a genius level and another who was simply not the smartest crayon in the box. My current guy is smart, but not as smart as the one basenji I had before. They're all different and all special. Keep training for different things and it will keep their mind engaged. My local library has a tool lending library. I wish they had a dog toy/puzzle lending library!

• Sanji has one like pictured above, but can't get at the treat. Tongue not developed enough to get it out? But as you see from this video, he likes getting out the treats from this toy. Hours? No. A few minutes. Since he's only 4 months, loves chewing on rawhide "bones" more than anything else.

• @sanjibasenji Please be careful with rawhide. I had a horrendous time with a rawhide chew many, many years ago & haven't risked them since.

• @vivsos - I use and have for years used Best Bully Sticks for our Basenjis even puppies, but I use jumbo size, 12". They are thick and long lasting chews.

• @vivsos
    Thanks. I learned about the hazard, but we keep a close watch and had no issues for 9 years with our last dog. If I could find a real bone that wasn't a greasy mess...

• @sanjibasenji said in Brain Games for a Basenji?:

If I could find a real bone ...

In the U.S., I can ask the butcher at my local grocer to save the bone scraps for me. They are usually available when T-Bones or Bone in Chuck Roast is on special. The "neck bones" have beef meat still attached, but the majority removed. And they typically sell me the lot for ~ $1/pound. I freeze the pieces on a cookie sheet, then store them in a zipper freezer bag. I "serve" them to my girl frozen -- so they don't normally leave a stain on the carpet while she attacks them. She loves them! Just make sure you pick it up after your pup is done... darn things hurt like no one's business when you step on them!

• Thanks! I'm in MI, and we have a couple of butchers nearly. But are they greasy?

• @sanjibasenji No, not greasy. Since they are raw (and you are not going to cook them), the fat remains solid. Freezing them prevents the natural bloods from getting on everything. If you think the pieces are too big, just ask the butcher to run them through his bandsaw again. They are really very accomodating.

• @sanjibasenji said in Brain Games for a Basenji?:

If I could find a real bone that wasn't a greasy mess...

My butcher gives me one or sometimes two huge rump bones for the dogs every Friday. I remove all the fat I possible can and render that down as dripping with an onion and some salt. Then I saw the bones up into more manageable sized pieces.

There is no mess - the fat on the bones is sometimes pretty dry, depending on if he boned the animal out yesterday, this morning, or 3-4 days ago.

You need a '24' (very fine) bladed hacksaw to get through the bones and it is hard work but it can be done and the end result is perfect teeth, even in very old dogs, although the kitchen looks like a grave-robber has been busy, as the dogs are loathe to part with even the oldest relic.

When finally I manage to take the oldest specimens away, they go on the bonfire in the garden and once they have been through several fires (this is a big garden and we need one most weeks) they crush into powder with the back of a spade and go onto the compost heap - bonemeal ! Great for the garden - so there is no waste at all.

I'm sure you can find a willing butcher, after all, he has to get rid of the bones somehow.

• Miss Bliss received a puzzle similar as a get well gift.
    It has given her something to do during the long hours in the crate.
    The toy was designed in Sweden and made in China of (dog smart wood)!?
    I think it is a bamboo plastic. Anyway, it is removed from her crate once the goodies are gone. I don't trust anything that goes in a mouth, human or canine,
    that comes from China. Fortunately, I have been able to get all her gear,
    except for a harness I recently purchased that required altering.
    Back to bones. A lot of those greasy bones come from China. Beware

• We have theese for Willy, all of which she still at 9 months loves, and started on at around 12 weeks... below are links!

Interactive Puzzle

Puzzle Treat Dispenser

Treat Dispensing Dog Toy

Adjustable Treat Ball

• @hizbaby said in Brain Games for a Basenji?:

We have theese for Willy, all of which she still at 9 months loves, and started on at around 12 weeks... below are links!

Interactive Puzzle

Puzzle Treat Dispenser

Treat Dispensing Dog Toy

Adjustable Treat Ball

Great response... and with links no less!!! Thank you very much!

• Love this thread. Taco is going through his teenage years and seems to have energy to burn at the minute ๐Ÿ˜ฉ I'm trying to come up with games for him. I have a puzzle very similar to the one in your picture @JENGOSMonkey and Taco loves it, but the more he plays with it, the better he gets and now only keeps him occupied for a few minues. I haven't tried an empty egg box yet, I like that idea.

I also use a snuffle mat sometimes for kibble and it keeps Taco entertained for 20 mins or so. And any games that involve using his nose really tire him out! So like hiding treats around the house and making him find them. He does it with his toys too.

• Banned

This post is deleted!

• @theromented
    ็งใŸใกใฏใƒใ‚ซใƒฉใƒƒใƒˆใซ่ˆˆๅ‘ณใŒใชใใ€BASENJISใ ใ‘ใซ่ˆˆๅ‘ณใŒใ‚ใ‚Šใพใ™ใ€‚ใ“ใฎใ‚ตใ‚คใƒˆใซๆŠ•็จฟใ—ใชใ„ใงใใ ใ•ใ„ใ€‚

• @kembe said in Brain Games for a Basenji?:

็งใŸใกใฏใƒใ‚ซใƒฉใƒƒใƒˆใซ่ˆˆๅ‘ณใŒใชใใ€BASENJISใ ใ‘ใซ่ˆˆๅ‘ณใŒใ‚ใ‚Šใพใ™ใ€‚ใ“ใฎใ‚ตใ‚คใƒˆใซๆŠ•็จฟใ—ใชใ„ใงใใ ใ•ใ„ใ€‚

I completely agree @Kembe; however, I might have been more exited if they'd mentioned Sabacc instead. No, Sabacc is not a Basenji, but it's a fun Star Wars game that's a bit like Poker, but completely different at the same time. Definitely a brain game. Logan won't play it with me darn it. He just wants to eat the Beskar betting pieces. It's the game Han Solo played against Lando Calrissian to win the Millennium Falcon, which is arguably THE best RV in the universe. My son and I play it. I wonder if I could win a Basenji in a game of Sabacc? ๐Ÿ˜

36e9f64cf850ca77be48d7a405701fe8.jpg

Suggested Topics