Skip to content

Basenji Mom

Member Introductions

Suggested Topics

  • Basenji mix?

    Member Introductions
    7
    1 Votes
    7 Posts
    4k Views
    ZandeZ
    @allyn said in Basenji mix?: Meanwhile I know that like a Basenji, he should never be off leash, and we always need to make sure the gate is securely shut, I have had Basenjis for a long, long time now. I have always let them run off lead in the woods away from traffic. They have all been taught - and I have had up to eight at a time although am now down to one, soon to be two (!) - to return to me if I whistle. Basenjis CAN be taught to run free and to obey commands. Yes, gates should be kept shut, tightly, at all times. But away from traffic, they can be trained to behave and allowed to run free. I have bought a puppy sling for my new boy so I can take him to the woods with Hoover, and let him meet lots of people and thoroughly socialise until he has had his shots. I don't intend to deprive Hoover of her freedom just because of the puppy. He will learn to walk on a leash but mostly he'll be the hunter nature intended him to be.
  • Basenji

    Member Introductions
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    5k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    If you click on the last icon with the arrow up icon, you can upload photos. They need to be in JPG format I think.
  • My Basenjis

    Member Introductions
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    5k Views
    P
    As mine age I try to keep a bit of weight on them because I know they may reach a stage when they just don't keep weight as the organs weaken.
  • New basenji foster mom

    Member Introductions
    31
    0 Votes
    31 Posts
    16k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Okay, marrow bones. I used to always give but had one very aggressive chewer. The vet showed me the actual cracks in her teeth! The other dogs were fine, btw. But every once in a while, shine a flashlight on the teeth and look for cracks. I check their teeth, but I never saw the cracks til she put actual light on them.
  • Roscoe the basenji

    Member Introductions
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    4k Views
    KitKatK
    welcome to both of you. You chose a great dog for years of entertainment and love. :)
  • Possible Basenji Mix Mom

    Member Introductions
    18
    0 Votes
    18 Posts
    10k Views
    thunderbird8588T
    Katie is a lovely looking Girl and is lucky to have found you.