Skip to content

Two blue eyes female Basenji

Basenji Health Issues & Questions
  • @annejanine - Thanks that shows the blue eyes... could not really see them in the other picture.

  • notice she still has her duclaws, in my experience, most all breeders (reputable) remove these at a very early age ... either way she is GEORGOUS and I know will bring you more joy (and require more patience sometimes!) than you ever knew was possible! Congrats and I wish you and your family all the best in your adventures to come (of which you can bet there will be many!)!!

  • @hizbaby Actually no. More and more breeders leave them on these days. I am not sure that I agree. Having tended a couple of torn dew-claws in the past, I find it a bit scary.

    We always removed them on about Day 5 if not earlier. That way there is no bleeding.

    But my two both have their dew-claws and they seem to have become accepted.

  • Dewclaws: I thought "responsible" breeders removed them, and mutts or backyard breeders ignored them (and saved the money the vet would have charged).

  • @hizbaby - Hello, this is not true any longer. While many breeders still remove dewclaws there are many responsible breeders have opted to not due so. While removing dewclaws was considered the norm 5 years ago (or more) this is not as it was in years past a way to separate responsible breeders from ones that are not.

  • @zande - Correct Zande and in many countries it is not legal to remove them. I have my pups dewclaws removed at day 2 but I don't go to a vet. I have another breeder that has always done her own (she is a Vet Tech) and she comes to the house to do them. Much less stress on Mom's and pups and safer then taking a 2 or 3 day litter to the vets office. If I didn't have someone that comes to the house, I would leave them on. My personal opinion is to remove them especially for lure coursing, seen too many injuries with them on... also one more nail to trim and if you DO not trim the dewclaw they can and do grow around and back into the leg.

  • @tanza I never take my pups to the vet - he comes to the house ! Dewclaws were done right by the whelping box, Mom having been escorted to the garden for a brief spell. No stress at al for the pups, and I think I mis-typed - should be Day 3.

    Yes, ears, tails and dew claws remain as nature intended in many countries, by law. We have never trimmed ears here and now tail-docked is illegal.

  • @annejanine You are SO Cool! Thank you, thank you, thank you for coming back with the results! What a treat. She's awesome. And, as far as I'm concerned... close enough... she's a Basenji. :oncoming_fist: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :thumbs_up:

  • @zande Thank you for the explanation I have been reading for.

    We had a B while I was growing up (who reached the age of almost 20 born in 1977) which was as close to cream (diluted copper) as we could tell & hazel eyes. I wondered why catching sight of that particular shade was rare since, though there certainly were many when I was young.

    If I can ask, are noticeably not-short manes/collars also uncommon? As our B's mane spiked in various ways depending on his mood, it was so helpful in determining what had caused a feet-locking moment mid-walk.

  • @maddyrien Not sure that I understand the question. Hackles can go up, they can get a lovely counter-ridge along the back, if annoyed, angry or just apprehensive. In winter some grow quite a thick mane and a positive winter coat but then they shed (!) and the first place it usually starts to 'go' is on the top of the head, between the ears.

    Thereafter daily grooming becomes essential - for the sake of the furniture -

Suggested Topics

  • Carsick Basenji

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    eeeefarmE
    My first girl got carsick. I used Dramamine (Gravol) for her. Luckily she outgrew the problem, because every time I had to pill her the neighbours thought I was killing her. She screamed her head off! (and of course spit out the pill). She did best riding loose in the back seat. That was in the '60s, and we didn't worry about such things…...
  • Sick Basenji

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    7k Views
    O
    Yes, Spencer is much better now, but he is still very thin. He lost six pounds. Even strong antibiotics cannot fight a severe abscess. I'm sure your vet found and resolved the problem under anesthesia, so that should put Egyn over the hump. SubQs and a few weeks of antiobiotics will hopefully get him back on the road to health. I had to feed Spencer critical care dog food through a syringe for several days after the surgery, then make him special soft food– the aforementioned meatballs-- for weeks after that. Good luck to you-- and positive thoughts to Egyn!
  • Blue eyes?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    21
    0 Votes
    21 Posts
    25k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Of course required for artificial… reread and don't know where you got I didn't know that. I said: As for proving, if you are not using semen, you don't have to test generally. Pretty clear I know if you use semen (ie not live cover) you have to test. But you ALSO have to test when producing lots of litters. I saw no reason to get into the specifics there. But let me state it clearly so you don't argue more on item that has nothing to do with the issue.. If you use semen (ie not live cover) you have to do DNA. If you do live cover, generally you do NOT have to do DNA unless you 1. use more than one stud 2. the stud produces a certain number of litters (not looking up number) and a few other situations. And Pat, chill, really. I didn't say looks was the ONLY. My point, which I stated repeatedly, is that the African dogs also don't KNOW for sure if pure basenji.
  • Basenji in Alaska

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    22
    0 Votes
    22 Posts
    15k Views
    wizardW
    I saw that you have a sewing machine – its not hard to make your own coat. I made one for my previous beasties with fleece and wool. I made it with a high colar (for the backside of the neck) and an indentation for the tail and a big belly and chest band (I used snaps at first but then switched to velcro). It worked pretty good for our single digit temps (and the occasional below zero walks to the corner). My current beastie refuses to go out the door with a coat on, however. When the outside temps are below 10F she won't stay outside any longer than necessary to go potty - the squirrels can run around all they want then! With respect to booties, mine will at least tolerate them when we go for walks but it's more for the road salt. However, the good pair I bought this year leak somehow (maybe through the stitching?) and she doesn't like them with they get wet inside. Nevertheless be sure you get the best you can find.
  • Two concerns

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    18
    0 Votes
    18 Posts
    8k Views
    AndrewA
    Don't worry Ivoss, I wear the pants ;) I do most of the care taking & 99% of socializing the dogs either myself or with Andrew in tow. That may be Andrew's opinion, but fortunately he isn't allowed alone with the dogs… j/k of course. Sort of. ;)
  • 0 Votes
    26 Posts
    18k Views
    K
    She still seeks out water but not to the degree that she was. As the accidents wane, I have been trying to leave the water out a bit more, but like one of the other members said about their husband, mine also is sick of cleaning up the pee so I have to find a happy medium between the two. All in all I think we are doing fine, and once again thanks for all of your concern. I will be sure to connect with the Basenji Forums again if there are any other questions.