Skip to content

My New Female Basenji Puppy Snores Does yours?

Basenji Health Issues & Questions

Suggested Topics

  • 0 Votes
    7 Posts
    4k Views
    U
    My 8 yr old just had this happen. He has had diarrhea issues his entire life, but never this. It is called a prolapsed anus, and even if it resolves in its own, u need to go to vet for antibiotics and to discuss possible causes. It’s not normal, but can happen when straining.
  • 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    ?
    Hoping vets acknowledge this and act on it, I think there are a lot of people in the dark regarding vaccines and put all their trust in their vet, I was one of them until I did a lot more research when getting Kaiser and was shocked to find my last dog was receiving vaccines he didn't even need such as lepto and kennel cough(given by a newly trained vet) totally not required as his lifestyle didn't ask for it. Kaiser had his last 3 core vaccine at 13 weeks and a titre at 8 months and he has immunity for the 3 core diseases, so will titre again sometime in the future for safety's sake. Feel guilty for letting my other dog down and mad for being blind. So we now only have the annual checkups sadly the cost is nearly the same as if he would have a booster and checkup. Feel that vets should be trained more in vaccines and raw feeding as they seem to be lacking and negative towards both. Jolanda and Kaiser
  • Is this a Basenji?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    26
    0 Votes
    26 Posts
    27k Views
    ShannaniganS
    So many of those poses and positions are the same things I see Paco do. I'm also no expert, and Paco's my first dog that's mine-all-mine for me to watch all the time, but I feel like Tag's face is very Basenji-like…and if he yodels as well... if he doesn't have Basenji in him, I'd at least say you could describe him to others as a Basenji-like dog.
  • 0 Votes
    15 Posts
    8k Views
    T
    Just as a note, we had a Carrier bred to a Clear which produced 8 puppies. The testing on the puppies found 1 Carrier, 1 Clear, and 6 Indeterminate. According to Jon Curby, the rate up til now has been about 5% Indeterminates - but this breeding produced 75%! As Kathy said, the statistics are for individual puppies, not for entire litters… Terry
  • Basenji in Alaska

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    22
    0 Votes
    22 Posts
    15k Views
    wizardW
    I saw that you have a sewing machine – its not hard to make your own coat. I made one for my previous beasties with fleece and wool. I made it with a high colar (for the backside of the neck) and an indentation for the tail and a big belly and chest band (I used snaps at first but then switched to velcro). It worked pretty good for our single digit temps (and the occasional below zero walks to the corner). My current beastie refuses to go out the door with a coat on, however. When the outside temps are below 10F she won't stay outside any longer than necessary to go potty - the squirrels can run around all they want then! With respect to booties, mine will at least tolerate them when we go for walks but it's more for the road salt. However, the good pair I bought this year leak somehow (maybe through the stitching?) and she doesn't like them with they get wet inside. Nevertheless be sure you get the best you can find.
  • 0 Votes
    26 Posts
    18k Views
    K
    She still seeks out water but not to the degree that she was. As the accidents wane, I have been trying to leave the water out a bit more, but like one of the other members said about their husband, mine also is sick of cleaning up the pee so I have to find a happy medium between the two. All in all I think we are doing fine, and once again thanks for all of your concern. I will be sure to connect with the Basenji Forums again if there are any other questions.