• As tanza said, you should check your pup out with your vet. Proactive. If your not into "medication" (drugs, as some do have side affects); there is always Golden Paste. You can't buy it, you have to make it yourself, and only takes about 15 minutes. If your on Facebook, there is a group called Turmeric User Group. Web site:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/415313751866609/

You do have to ask to join. Lots and lots of good information. Golden Paste is an antiinflammatory. You start out at 1/8th of a teaspoon 3 to 4 times a day, and gradually work up. People on that site are willing to help, so it doesn't hurt to ask question. The files give the info on how to make the Golden Paste.

FYI......most dogs don't like the taste. I mixed mine in with either yogurt, or cottage cheese, what have you. It truly helps.

• I agree with those suggesting a vet visit. I had my first basenji go to the vet for arthritis and he suggested glucosamine and chondroitin. They are technically not medicines, but rather 'supplements.'
    After the first dog, when the others are 8-10, we always have the discussion about adding it to their meals when they are that age.
    I saw an article in the last few years about not getting this supplement from China, it was found to have toxic ingredients.

FWIW, I also take the same - for arthritis, and it helps

• DonC "Not sure what a long day in the park is"

No, nor am I, but I do know that after even an hour racing around in the woods, my dogs need sleep ! Basenjis do sleep for long periods after strenuous exercise and I know mine would all have been exhausted after a long day out in a park.

If you can find a vet who does acupuncture, can first make a diagnosis and then if it is indicated, go on to perform acu - that is the best option. If not, first talk to your normal vet and, if he doesn't do acupuncture, see if you can get a referral to one who does.

I use CBD oil for my old folk - being careful to get a good quality, reliable one. In this country Woods (on line) sells a very high grade especially for dogs. Hoover (12) and before her Keepurr aged 13 noticeably benefitted from it. Hoover also gets acupuncture from our own vet - and he figured out the right CBD oil doseage for her too. But she has a very specific joint problem, revealed by X-rays.

Over the years, many of my Basenjis have received acupuncture - the first of our vets to administer it - sadly no longer with us but I'm sure treating animals beyond the Rainbow Bridge, called it 'geriatric juice'. The oldies all showed improvement, but they weren't acually started on it until they were 10, 11 or even teenagers.

Good luck and let us know how it goes

• Hello,
    As many have said, the vet visit should be first. If you are considering the glucosamine and chondroitin route, try raw chicken feet as a snack here and there. As opposed to getting it from China, you can pick up chicken feet from the grocery store for a relatively low price......just a thought. Hope all is well with your B.

• @glenn-jalivay2 - If you get a dehydrator, you can make you own snacks... and unless they are used to "raw" and have been fed this way, you need to introduce it slowly. I make my own treats of meat in the dehydrator. That said, you still need to have a Vet opinion and as I said talk to a Holistic Vet.

• @glenn-jalivay2 said in Joint health:

try raw chicken feet as a snack

ok, ewwww, but that's just me. Why the chicken feet (specifically)?

• He has his annual appointment in June when I will discuss it with the vet. Just trying to get an idea of which products/supplements/ect... people have used and liked. Thanks for everyone’s input. Feel free to continue adding!

• Hello,

The bones in chicken feet are easy enough for a Basenji to crunch through. Mine loves them. He's been on a raw diet since I brought him home a year and a half ago. I include them in his diet as part of his meals and an occasional snack. Again, they are high in glucosamine and chondroitin, which are good for the joints. This is just a suggestion.

• @glenn-jalivay2 said in Joint health:

The bones in chicken feet are easy enough for a Basenji to crunch through.

Based on the utter destruction I've found my girl guilty of, I think she could get through any chicken bone offered (as long as it is raw). Naturally, cooked bones are a major no-no as they can puncture the dogs internal organs. Since you have to serve the chicken feet raw, isn't Salmonella a concern?

• Hello,

As far as salmonella is concerned, you are more likely to get it from spinach 🤣than the raw chicken, or any other meats. (It can also be in processed dog food). I also asked my vet when was the last time they treated a dog for salmonella and they couldn't give me an answer. All of my dogs good is human grade from the market . I'm very thorough with my clean up, and he never eats in the house. Outside on the deck or in the garage if the weather is bad.
    Again, it works for me and others would disagree and that's ok.

• @glenn-jalivay2 I'm ok with raw meat, I give my B (frozen) raw (beef) neckbones on a regular basis. And I've had larger dogs that were given raw chicken quarters -- which they ate outside. I was just trying to picture my B eating her chicken feet treat... I guess she won't get any until she has a yard of her own to enjoy them in.

• Thanks for the input! He does get chicken & duck feet sometimes for a snack!

Suggested Topics