• My first b was PTS just shy of 11 years- she was dx with tonsilar squamous cell carcinoma a year prior. Her dam passed around 15 and her sire I am not sure. But as far as I am aware, all but 2 or 3 of my 1 1/2 yr olds great grand parents are still alive, and a couple of great-great-grand parents are alive too so I hope that points to a long life for him.

• I have a Basenji that I adopted at 2 years of age. She was diagnosed with Fanconi at age 9, both through a Venus Blood Gas Test and a DNA test. She will be 13 years old in a few days and has been in very good health. She does follow a protocol prescribed by Dr. Gonto.

Recently however she will not eat in the morning and rejects foods she would normally eat. She appears to be slowing down and spends a lot of time sleeping.

I am not sure if this is related to old age or Fanconi is beginning to take a toll on her. Hope to keep her around for another year or two.

• We have had 9 Basenji's Of our first two, one died from Falconi's at age 4. Her sister is at my feet, 20 yrs old. Cataracts, deaf and dementia, but still alive. Three of the others died of pancreatic cancer.(Euthanized) Three died unknown. One had cararacts and got out of the yard. Never found him. Hope he found a good home!

• I just noticed this is a very old thread... but hopefully someone may benefit from the bump.

@RockysWoman said in Life Expectancy??:

Okay, so lets expand this conversation. What about dogs who have Fanconi? Once the disease is diagnosed, what is the average life expectancy beyond that?

My B is 8 (will be 9 in November) and was just diagnozed with Fanconi. We believe he's in the early stages of the disease. I'm hoping to hit 10 or 12 with him. Can't imagine life without this crazy dog. But then again, I have a hard time remembering what life was like before him. He made us childproof our home before we even started to think about having kids!

I am begging you to contact Pam at Camp Basenji. Her fanconi protocol has taken dogs who were dying on the standard Gonto one and brought them back. Her dogs with fanconi are doing fantastic. The Wimauma rescued pack, sadly, have a high rate of Fanconi, so she has a lot of experience.
    http://www.campbasenji.org/contact-us/

On basenjis... sadly my first 2 were double aunt/niece, both suffered from severe auto-immune problems.

Sayblee was Dx with lymphoma in April before her 7th birthday. Every research, all the vets, said her chances of a few years to even more were excellent. So we went all out to the recommended chemo vet. She crashed with every protocol, just could not handle it. We lost her that Sept. She was not quite 7.

Her niece was dx with CUPS (auto immune that expressed predominantly in the gums with reaction to plaque causing abscesses and tooth loss. She had already lost 4 teeth before the dx. We put her on steroids, cleaning every 4 to 6 mos until she died at 12 1/2 with kidney failure (mild in Feb to severe with vet saying put down in May). I felt we were lucky she made it healthy that long. Our last one is one of the Wimauma dogs. She is a fanconi carrier only. She just turned 7.

• @WeLuvBasenjis My 1st. B lived almost 13 yrs. & might have lived longer if she hadn't come down with cancer. I just found out that her Father lived to just a little over 17 yrs. My 2nd B lived to 16 & a half. Healthy as could be, even that morning but after she had her daily nap, when she went to get up ~ everything had changed. 😞

• We have had 5 Basenjis who have passed away. The first passed away 5 weeks before her 18th birthday; the second lived to 16; their son lived to be only 8 years old, but he was born with a health issue that was only definitively diagnosed upon necropsy, a good portion of his pancreas was missing; the 4th, a rescue, lived to be 15.5, and the 5th, a rescue, died suddenly of a splenic tumour at 9 years.
    -Joanne

• @giza1 WOW ~ 18 yrs.! How awesome! And you say you've had 5 that have gone to the field by the Rainbow Bridge, I'm sorry but if I had my way, we would not ever have a Basenji pass away, they'd be with us until we all passed together. But then, I guess some folks would have too big of a "pack". Do you have Basenjis now? I hope so, it's just so empty in the place with not even 1 Basenji to love 😞

• @TxVet You are so very Blessed to still have your Basenji at 20 yrs. old! You've done something very right, besides loving her to the fullest!

• @giza1 That is sad about the 8 yr old, but wonderful the other two.

• @Nancy-Berry Oh yes, I have a Basenji now, two actually, a 2 year old, and an 8 year old, but I couldn't have commented on their lifespans because I don't know it yet. Hope they are around awhile. Sure I think of the ones who are gone, and sometimes I wish they were all still here... but I'm pretty sure that some of them wouldn't have all gotten along.

• Mya is 10 and still going strong. Diagnosed with Fanconi around age 6 and was put on the protocol pretty quickly. I'm relieved to see there have been many long lasting Basenji lives here in the comments!

• HI,

My boy lived to be 16 1/2 years and one week to the day. My girl, who is still with me will be 17 on Halloween. She is in perfect health with exception of loss of peripheral sight and hearing. Even though she is physically in perfect health, she has all of the canine cognitive dysfunction symptoms. She also has severe separation anxiety issues if I am not with her. I am lucky that I am able to work from home and rarely do I leave her alone for more than 1 hr each day. It is just me, her and unconditional love in my house.

• My Tri color basenji is 16 years old. She’s still happy but has health issues. Every day with her is a gift!!

• My boy lived to be 16 1/2 years old with good quality of life. My little girl died this month at 18 yrs and 64 days. She never recovered from losing her brother and developed full blown Canine Cognitive Dysfunction for the last year and a half of her life. Her quality of life was good as long as I was with her, but CCD is a terrible disease.

• 5 basenji girls..17, 17, 14, 12.....last one 13, still with us but showing signs.

• @allisonmosley I find myself back here searching life expectancy as my Mya ages. She had 2 seizures on 12/21/21 and 7 seizures over a 12hr period on 1/10/22. I am surprised she has lasted so long with Fanconi, but as I revisit the Gonto Protocol I see GME and seizures mentioned. Just part of getting older it seems for some basenjis.

Suggested Topics