• I’ve worked with breeders that aren’t great with communication but this is crazy :(. If she cashed that deposit check that means she has a puppy for you and should be in contact.

Most of the breeders I know personally are in the Midwest.

• @crazysenji said in Breeder MIA:

Sure you can message me. You deserve to know if there is no puppy for you this year. Keeping you in limbo isn’t right. I’m hoping the breeder is still evaluating puppies and just hasn’t contacted everyone yet.

That seems odd to me, especially after putting down a deposit?

• She cashed the check in July.

I did speak to someone on here privately. They do know the breeder and said this isn’t typical at all, leading me to believe there might be something personal going on. I hope everything is okay with the breeder. I’m going to step back for awhile unless I hear something else. If she is dealing with personal stuff I don’t want to add to her stress. Just taking a deep breath and praying everything works out for the best.

You are all an incredible group of people. Thank you for taking the time to talk with me about this and trying to provide a little guidance.

• OK, a breeder may need time to evaluate puppies but surely he/she knows how many orders he/she has (deposits taken shows a commitment to supply a puppy) and once the litter is whelped an email or a quick phone call "Yes the pups are here ! she whelped 17 and I have deposits on 16 of them so although I don't know which will be yours, there is definitely a pup for you !"

or

"I am so sorry. There was only one pup and we are keeping it. I will refund your deposit at once"

Even if the breeder is facing personal problems - obligations should not be ignored. An' if things are so bad there is no time for a quick phone call, I wonder who is looking after the babes ?

Its OK for you to show tolerance and patience but don't lose sight of the fact you have paid up-front and are entitled to news, positive or negative.

Good luck and may early 2019 bring you a Basenji puppy !

• I agree with the others that you deserve an answer. Whether there's a puppy for you or not, it impacts your family's life in a big way and you need to know. Did she tell you there would be a puppy for you from one of these litters? With multiple litters, you might not know which litter your puppy will come from until the little one is ready to take home, but I've never heard of no contact for a month after the puppies arrive.

I really hope it works out for you. Keep trying! Are you in touch with any other breeders who might have an extra puppy for you... or know someone who might?

• @tanza You're right... I "assumed" she knew if with the Basenji club.

Whether the norm for her or not, only a tragedy would explain not responding. Again, it's a few minutes. You may want to start calling other breeders about available pups.

• I'm tardy, but thank you to everyone who chimed in on this thread. Thanks to Pat, I was able to reach out to someone who knew my breeder and found out there was an unusual circumstance concerning our breeder. I won't go into all of the details, but I will share the happy ending: we did bring home our sweet little Moki in February. She is growing and thriving. She is so smart and sweet and cuddly and our family is completely in love with her. Everywhere we go she makes new friends and she is a little ambassador for the breed.

Without this message board, I think we would have given up and probably would not have gotten our pup. Thank you! 1_1555440982611_Moki.jpg 0_1555440982609_Moki2.jpg

• Thanks to Pat for helping. ❤

Your puppy is utterly darling. OMG what a sweet face. I am glad Moki is home with you.

• @jeannettemcgarr A real sweetheart, lesson #1 at the Basenji school of learning, determination lol.

• Obviously very well worth the wait !!!

Suggested Topics