• just two weeks ago my 16 year old basenji named Pogi passed away and im striken with grief beyond belief. Pogi was 8 weeks old when i had him and he has given me happiness and my friends who took care of him when im on vacation to visit my Mom who lives on the opposite side of the world.Last year i had to go home and bring Pogi from Chicago to the Philippines to take care of my 85 year old mother. I retired early at the age of 49 to take care of both my aging dog and mother and it was the best decision i ever did in my life. Looking back the journey with Pogi was so immesurable that i would never doubt that with Pogi being with me for a year taking care of my
    mother in the Phiippines where Pogi is mow buried is yet the greatest moment in my life so far. I miss Pogi everyday but i just dwell on all the memories because they're all of happy and magical... Pogi is always and forever ky best froend whos always in my heart...0_1542159412558_D442D9AB-74A9-40D0-829D-51296D45AD95.jpeg

• @lalmalbis said in Grief:

just dwell on all the memories because they're all of happy and magical...

That is all you can do - but at least you have already started to let these memories dim your pain - and they will. Hang on to them and Pogi will remain with you.

very sincere condolences

• I’m so sorry to hear of Pogi’s death. Like you I’m remembering all the wonderful things about Tikka that made him so special to me - how he would cock his head to one side when listening, how he put his head on my knee and look up at me with his brown eyes and lick my legs when I got out of the shower... so many good memories - love and sadness at the same time.

• @lalmalbis
    Your Pogi is a beautiful baby and you were both lucky to have each other. So sorry for your loss. Please accept my deepest condolences - please think of all the happy times you had with Pogi.

• @njdeb

I suspect many of us learned the hard way. That's why I have a basenji chew-resistant leash. I had several cut through before I put in the chain.

0_1542390071264_Leash.jpg

• @lalmalbis

I am sorry for your loss.

• @lalmalbis I"m sorry to hear that you lost your Pogi and hope that your Mother is doing better than you expected.

• @debradownsouth How did you come up with this leash alteration?

• @elbrant said in Grief:

@debradownsouth How did you come up with this leash alteration?

From a basenji breeder who said to put at least a 6 inch chain between the collar and leash so when they snake their little heads around they couldn't reach the leash part. So I went to Home Depot and had them cut me about 6 chains, got the connectors and attached to their leashes. I wish I remembered who suggested it but I've seen others with similar contraptions for our lovely "razor blades hidden in mouth" breed. I have had one cut my bra straps front and back almost precisely 3 inches up as if she measures. Yeah, I learned to put my stuff away.

• @debradownsouth
    LOL about the bra straps! I know what you mean though; Olly just neatly chewed through the front strap on her brand new raincoat..... it was the first day she wore it. Grrrrr! That leash fix is a great idea. Going to be dropping by my local home depot this afternoon!! Yay, you!

Suggested Topics