• @rugosa said in Tapeworm:

These worms were 1/2 - 3/4 inch wide.

They sound horrible ! Poor wee girl. But the medication seems to have been effective which is the important thing. Did that outsized vomit clear them completely or did you have to repeat the dose ?

I must admit, over here we really only have to guard against round worm for which I apply Advocate to the back of the neck once a month. The Drontal is just to be on the safe side.

• @donc - Yes there are sites.... considered... I get my heartworm meds from Canada or Australia as I only want the heartworm med, not meds for other worms... not necessary. Just saying that in the US typically a RX from the Vet is required. I have purchased Drontal from Canada or Australia. Don't particularly trust way off brand that you can get in the US without a scrip

• @zande said in Tapeworm:

They sound horrible ! Poor wee girl. But the medication seems to have been effective which is the important thing. Did that outsized vomit clear them completely or did you have to repeat the dose ?

I must admit, over here we really only have to guard against round worm for which I apply Advocate to the back of the neck once a month. The Drontal is just to be on the safe side.

It was an awful gross surprise, and it did seem to clear up the problem FOR THAT TIME. I did a little research and learned that tapes gotten from fleas are different than those gotten from rabbits, so I bet these were the rabbit kind.

After that, whenever I knew of the dogs getting a rabbit, the vet would just give me tape medicine. (at least once a year)
    That was gross too because that same girl had a rabbit head in her mouth and kept running away from me once. All I did was pray she wouldn't puncture the eyes!

Basenjis are gross, don't you just love them?

This site tells about the different kinds of tapes
    http://www.petsandparasites.org/dog-owners/tapeworms

• @tanza said in Tapeworm:

@donc - Yes there are sites.... considered... I get my heartworm meds from Canada or Australia as I only want the heartworm med, not meds for other worms... not necessary. Just saying that in the US typically a RX from the Vet is required.

Definitely not an expert but I believe Amazon sells Drontal from Bayer without a prescription. I know that you can get Merck Panacur from Amazon without a prescription because I've done that. No idea what the situation is or how the regulations work. Maybe the prescription meds add something which triggers the requirement?

I think meds are a significant revenue driver for vets. I'm fine with that, and most of the time I just get the meds from the vet. No doubt it's more expensive than Costco but it's also more convenient. This is why I'm surprised the OP is having trouble getting a prescription. Usually the meds are freely forthcoming.

All I did was pray she wouldn't puncture the eyes!

This begs me to ask... aside from the "ewww, gross" factor, is there a reason you were concerned about potential eyeball puncturing?

After that, whenever I knew of the dogs getting a rabbit

Rabbits are not good news. My Chezz broke a front tooth on one (and destroyed a load of hostas in the process). The Vet kept wanting to take the stub out but I refused because that could have ruined her dentition and I showed her. At least with the stub in place, the other teeth didn't close up to fill the gap and I could explain how she broke it when a judged queried it ! She was never penalised !

Squirrels now, something else again. I hate taking a squirrel from the jaws of a rapacious Basenji. Apparently bushy tails become just wire with fur through it ! Normally they are gone faster than I realise one has been caught. And the squirrel population (common greys) does need attention in this neck of the woods.

• @elbrant said in Tapeworm:

Since (in my experience) Basenjis always eat the head of a rabbit first, I'd love to know the answer to this one too !

• @tanza said in Tapeworm:

@jalex - Drontal in the US is typically only available with a RX from the Vet.

It is now available OTC. Has been for a while. Drontal is for cats, Drontal Plus for dogs (Drontal Plus has meds for whipworms, which cats don't usually get.. ).

• @zande said in Tapeworm:

Since (in my experience) Basenjis always eat the head of a rabbit first, I'd love to know the answer to this one too !

Here, they always eat the head last so I did get it from her. We have tan, rather than gray squirrels, so maybe the heads taste different?(I do not expect an answer, preferring to get away from this subject!)

• @elbrant said in Tapeworm:

@rugosa said in Tapeworm:

This begs me to ask... aside from the "ewww, gross" factor, is there a reason you were concerned about potential eyeball puncturing?

Just the grossness factor. Very few things make me sick just to see but I think that might be one.

Suggested Topics