Can't wait to pick up my new pup.

• I was finally able to find a breeder in my area. I went by Sunday and put a deposit down on this little guy. He is 5 weeks right now, but we are going on vacation at the end of the month. I can not wait to go pick him up as soon as we return. I'm not sure on a name yet, but have been trying out Odin so far.

0_1530652031138_2018-07-01 13.21.19-1-small.jpg

• Live with him fir a few days and a name will come to you

• Congrats, many of us are related by our Basenjis. Care to share who his breeder is and/or his pedigree?

• He's a cutie. And of course very handsome!

Like the suggestion of just living with him for a while. Who knows what might come out of that. 😱

• He is the cutest little thing! Congrats to both of you. I like the idea of living with him for a bit. I think an appropriate name will come to you as you get to know him and it will be perfect for him! Keep us advised as you start your new journey with this handsome boy.

• I'm going to be a bit different and say that I think it would be great if you thought of his name, told the breeder, and he/she used it until you picked him up.
    In my head, I'm thinking that way he'll be taking a part of his old life, to the new, and it might help him adjust better? (Or maybe I'm being silly, and he'll adjust just fine!)

• @rugosa said in Can't wait to pick up my new pup.:

I'm going to be a bit different and say that I think it would be great if you thought of his name, told the breeder, and he/she used it until you picked him up.
    In my head, I'm thinking that way he'll be taking a part of his old life, to the new, and it might help him adjust better? (Or maybe I'm being silly, and he'll adjust just fine!)

That is what I thought too.

• The only paperwork I have lists the mother as Sunshine Pup.

• Congrats! I am sooo envious of you! Debra found my Basenji's Breeder and for that, I am so grateful! I used to take care of her Horses because we boarded the Horses at the same farm. I know there is a relative because Debra found that too! I love the breed and the thing about Basenjis and Wolves is that the Basenji immediately likes them. All other Canines run away in sheer terror. I have a video of my Wolf and my Dog engaging in mutual; grooming! That is why I think the Basenji is related to Wolves.

Good luck with you gorgeous Puppy and leaving him with the Breeder is a good thing. There are things their mothers teach them. I did not bring mine home for 12 Weeks. I miss her every day!

Bw well!

• If the person who wants to sell him to you and is willing to place him at 5 or 6 weeks old..
    And cant or wont tell you who the parents are...run like hell.

• @joan-duszka said in Can't wait to pick up my new pup.:

If the person who wants to sell him to you and is willing to place him at 5 or 6 weeks old..

She did not try to send him home with me at 5 weeks. I just went to pick out which of the litter I wanted. She also did not refuse to tell me who the parents where, they were both there with the pups, I just did not think to ask while I was there. I am sure they were never show dogs, but I know they are both registered Basenji.

I am going to visit Odin tomorrow. I will get pictures of mom and dad and ask for their names. I also what to know if they have been tested for Fanconi.

• @jdhunt0 said in Can't wait to pick up my new pup.:

@joan-duszka said in Can't wait to pick up my new pup.:

If the person who wants to sell him to you and is willing to place him at 5 or 6 weeks old..

She did not try to send him home with me at 5 weeks. I just went to pick out which of the litter I wanted. She also did not refuse to tell me who the parents where, they were both there with the pups, I just did not think to ask while I was there. I am sure they were never show dogs, but I know they are both registered Basenji.

I am going to visit Odin tomorrow. I will get pictures of mom and dad and ask for their names. I also what to know if they have been tested for Fanconi.

Also parents should be DNA tested for PRA (night blindness), cheek swab like it is for Fanconi. These two are really however only the tip of the iceberg in a breeder doing responsible health testing. You should get the sire/dam's registration numbers also. And as far as DNA testing for Fanconi and PRA, results are made public at www.offa.org. You should ALWAYS verify yourself, don't just take someone's word for it. That is what I always tell potential puppy owners. Here is a link to one of my Basenjis so you can see what it looks like. https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=1415062

• Thank you.

• They are CKC registered. I will find out more tomorrow. Just out of curiosity, and maybe this is not the place to ask, but what is the typical going rate for a pup?

• @jdhunt0 - I hope that means they are registered with the Canadian Kennel Club, however, I am going to guess that CKC stands for Continental Kennel Club-https://ckcusa.com/. And if that is the case, this is a bogus "kennel" club that was started many years ago by puppymills and backyard breeders when the American Kennel Club started requiring DNA testing on breeding stock. Please see this link on how to find a responsible breeder put out by the Basenji Club of America (www.basenji.org) http://www.basenji.org/learn/ScreeningBreeders.htm. Also you can check and see if this breeder is a member of the Basenji Club of America and listed as a breeder at https://basenji.org/index.php/about-basenjis/breeder-directory
    I would also be very surprised if the sire and dam have been DNA tested for Fanconi & PRA (at the very least these health test must be done by a breeders BEFORE breeding). Again if they have been check it out for yourself. If you get the sire/dam's registered name, you can check out the pedigree at http://www.pedigrees.zandebasenjis.com/search.html

• @jdhunt0 - In regards to price, it varies across the country. Average prices from a responsible breeder that does all the required health testing can range from 800.00 to 1200.00.

• The going price for a puppy from a backyard breeder who isn't even AKC (many of the CKC were owners who bought AKC dogs that were on a no breeding contract and just did CKC to do it anyway... if a breeder doesn't want a puppy bred, there is a reason!), the price should be about $2000 deposit by the seller into a health account for your puppy should it develop a myriad of disorders that occur with irresponsible breeders. Sadly, people who are unwilling to do things right find people who are willing to continue to support irresponsible breeders because they can't wait to get a puppy. You add to the misery of not only this litter, but enable them to keep making profit to breed more. The puppies suffer from not being bred with as much health testing and care as possible, the families who get them suffer when their puppies are not healthy, and sadly it just keeps it going. If someone has a nicer way of saying that, have at it.

• I went to see Odin today. The mother is AKC registered. The father is CKC, but was told both of his parents were AKC. The breeder is going to get the information to me. The parents have not been tested for Fanconi, but both of their parents were. I realize this may not be the "right" way to get a Basenji, but it is local, the breeder seems fairly knowledgeable, and loves her dogs. Plus the price is quite a bit less than what the going rate is it seems.

• Hopefully you have verified on www.offa.org that the grand parents are on that site with their DNA Fanconi test. Better yet since this pup is only 5 wks, it would be a good idea to do the Fanconi DNA test yourself now. It is a cheek swab. Prices are higher from most all responsible breeders because they are not breeding for profit and do all the background work. The cost of raising a litter the right way is not cheap.... I have never made a profit on any of my litters as that was not the goal. The goal is to improve the breed in all ways... health, temperament, conformation. I am lucky to have broken even on a couple of litters. And all pups are placed on a spay/neuter contract with a return to breeder clause regardless of the reason or age of the pup, unless the pup will be a show dog, then it is a co-ownership with me.

• the only thing I can say is, "TIGGER"! lol, the pup is adorbs!!! (so to speak)

Suggested Topics