Can't wait to pick up my new pup.

• Thank you.

• They are CKC registered. I will find out more tomorrow. Just out of curiosity, and maybe this is not the place to ask, but what is the typical going rate for a pup?

• @jdhunt0 - I hope that means they are registered with the Canadian Kennel Club, however, I am going to guess that CKC stands for Continental Kennel Club-https://ckcusa.com/. And if that is the case, this is a bogus "kennel" club that was started many years ago by puppymills and backyard breeders when the American Kennel Club started requiring DNA testing on breeding stock. Please see this link on how to find a responsible breeder put out by the Basenji Club of America (www.basenji.org) http://www.basenji.org/learn/ScreeningBreeders.htm. Also you can check and see if this breeder is a member of the Basenji Club of America and listed as a breeder at https://basenji.org/index.php/about-basenjis/breeder-directory
    I would also be very surprised if the sire and dam have been DNA tested for Fanconi & PRA (at the very least these health test must be done by a breeders BEFORE breeding). Again if they have been check it out for yourself. If you get the sire/dam's registered name, you can check out the pedigree at http://www.pedigrees.zandebasenjis.com/search.html

• @jdhunt0 - In regards to price, it varies across the country. Average prices from a responsible breeder that does all the required health testing can range from 800.00 to 1200.00.

• The going price for a puppy from a backyard breeder who isn't even AKC (many of the CKC were owners who bought AKC dogs that were on a no breeding contract and just did CKC to do it anyway... if a breeder doesn't want a puppy bred, there is a reason!), the price should be about $2000 deposit by the seller into a health account for your puppy should it develop a myriad of disorders that occur with irresponsible breeders. Sadly, people who are unwilling to do things right find people who are willing to continue to support irresponsible breeders because they can't wait to get a puppy. You add to the misery of not only this litter, but enable them to keep making profit to breed more. The puppies suffer from not being bred with as much health testing and care as possible, the families who get them suffer when their puppies are not healthy, and sadly it just keeps it going. If someone has a nicer way of saying that, have at it.

• I went to see Odin today. The mother is AKC registered. The father is CKC, but was told both of his parents were AKC. The breeder is going to get the information to me. The parents have not been tested for Fanconi, but both of their parents were. I realize this may not be the "right" way to get a Basenji, but it is local, the breeder seems fairly knowledgeable, and loves her dogs. Plus the price is quite a bit less than what the going rate is it seems.

• Hopefully you have verified on www.offa.org that the grand parents are on that site with their DNA Fanconi test. Better yet since this pup is only 5 wks, it would be a good idea to do the Fanconi DNA test yourself now. It is a cheek swab. Prices are higher from most all responsible breeders because they are not breeding for profit and do all the background work. The cost of raising a litter the right way is not cheap.... I have never made a profit on any of my litters as that was not the goal. The goal is to improve the breed in all ways... health, temperament, conformation. I am lucky to have broken even on a couple of litters. And all pups are placed on a spay/neuter contract with a return to breeder clause regardless of the reason or age of the pup, unless the pup will be a show dog, then it is a co-ownership with me.

• the only thing I can say is, "TIGGER"! lol, the pup is adorbs!!! (so to speak)

• @jdhunt0 said in Can't wait to pick up my new pup.:

I went to see Odin today. The mother is AKC registered. The father is CKC, but was told both of his parents were AKC. The breeder is going to get the information to me. The parents have not been tested for Fanconi, but both of their parents were. I realize this may not be the "right" way to get a Basenji, but it is local, the breeder seems fairly knowledgeable, and loves her dogs. Plus the price is quite a bit less than what the going rate is it seems.

So you picked "Odin" for his name! Seems kinda Scandinavian but definitely fun. If all the grandparents were tested then that wouldn't be a big deal for me. YMMV. Loving their dogs, on the other hand, would be a big deal for me. There are so many things a breeder can/should be doing with the pups, and if they love their dogs there is a better chance of this happening. Again, IMO.

The price on the other hand raises some issues. For starters, I think pet owners focus way too much on the acquisition price. Over the course of the dog's life most will end up spending so much -- including replacing the carpets that get chewed -- that the initial price won't be consequential. Moreover, it costs a lot of money to breed and raise pups. My view is that if you want responsible people to breed you should pay more.

That said, plenty of great breeders sell their pups for less than a thousand dollars. Some for much less. In some cases it's just that they've been doing this for a long time and haven't raised their prices consistent with price increases. Others are more concerned with their dogs and aren't as focused on the money as they are on good placements. (Breeding dogs reminds me of Richard Branson's joke about how to become a millionaire -- start with a billion dollars and buy and airline.) The net result is that puppies are definitely not one of those things you can judge on the basis of price.

Hope Odin turns out to be as great a dog for you as he is cute, because he's plenty cute.

• @jdhunt0 said in Can't wait to pick up my new pup.:

I went to see Odin today.

Do we have a "Viking's" fan in our midst? ❤ that show!

• This post is deleted!

• I picked him up on Sunday. Little Miss Sunshrine is the mother. The father is only registered in the CKC.

He seems healthy and happy. I have an appointment with a vet to get a complete checkup though to so make sure.

0_1533061617417_2018-07-29 18.40.35 - crop.jpg

• @jdhunt0 - Vets do not do the DNA testing for Fanconi or PRA. You order the cheek swab from www.offa.org, swab the cheek and then send it back to OFA to be processed.

https://www.ofa.org/diseases/dna-tested-diseases/fanconi-syndrome
    https://www.ofa.org/diseases/dna-tested-diseases/basenji-pra

No testing done on the dam. Go to http://www.pedigrees.zandebasenjis.com/
    Enter Dam's name and you will find the pedigree for her. Her parents were not tested either as they would show up on the pedigree page. And they do not show up on the OFA site under their registration numbers. All Fanconi and PRA test are made public on the OFA site

• Please pay attention to Pat @ Tanza. You NEED to have the testing done. If the results come back say that he is likely to be affected by Fanconi you have to take this dog back or you will ultimately go through the heartache of dealing with the health of a dog that needs medication, special diet, along with lots of your time and patience beyond the norm.

• @senjisilly

If the results come back say that he is likely to be affected by Fanconi <<

The Fanconi test gives "Clear/Normal," "Carrier," or "Affected."

Affected means both genes, so they either are or they aren't "Affected." I honestly don't know what percent of Affected go on to develop Fanconi, though I presume all.

If it is affected, then sadly I agree.. While Pam Hamilton has kept some fairly symptom free for years, it's not something I would willingly sign on for. 😞

• DNA tests are ordered.

• @jdhunt0 - Yea, good for you. Fingers crossed for good results. Remember that Clear and/or Carrier is fine.

• @debradownsouth My editing of my post was terrible. Thank you for clarifying what I meant to say. I did have a female that tested "probably affected" in the early testing. She was bred to a clear (later most accurate test) and produced 3 pups who were all carriers (again, the latest most accurate test). While I found it necessary to put her to sleep at age 14.5 (seizures related to brain damage from being hit by a car) she never developed Fanconi or any symptoms of it. None of the pups were bred for various reasons (development, temperament) although one did become a lure coursing champion.

• @senjisilly said in Can't wait to pick up my new pup.:

@debradownsouth My editing of my post was terrible. Thank you for clarifying what I meant to say. I did have a female that tested "probably affected" in the early testing. She was bred to a clear (later most accurate test) and produced 3 pups who were all carriers (again, the latest most accurate test). While I found it necessary to put her to sleep at age 14.5 (seizures related to brain damage from being hit by a car) she never developed Fanconi or any symptoms of it. None of the pups were bred for various reasons (development, temperament) although one did become a lure coursing champion.

My posts are sometimes incoherent, lol. You did fine, I just wanted people to not be confused that a carrier could develop Fanconi.

Breeding even an affected to a clear wouldn't have produced affected. Before the test, no one had a choice but to go with what was there. Responsible people like you didn't use the excuse of it not being "perfect" and did the best available. Making it to that age is wonderful, especially with her brain damage.

• understand that many times seizures are a part of Kidney disease including fanconi.

Suggested Topics