• I don't know maybe this is something that's already been discussed/talked about.
    I know we all talk about training and how do we get these little clowns to mind. I found that if a Basenji can have some fun each day with you it will aid in developing a good Basenji because he/she will be happy and not just see you as the disciplinarian but someone they really look forward to seeing when you drive up. I used to play games with mine like hide and seek. You throw something to they chase it then go ditch them. Chase each other around the house. Ringo used to love running by me really fast and I'd touch him like I was trying to get him. He loved it! Anyway you can invent something. You'll be happy too from the fun. I used to laugh till I had tears from a game where Nika would chase Ringo and I'd be lying on the floor and they run into me, Nika biting Ringo and Ringo having my whole forearm in his mouth.
    Mine get whiny happy when I pull up in my truck from work. My neighbors used to comment on how my first Basenji would really get whiny when I pulled up and say "Wow that dog's always really happy when you get home"!
    Anyway that's just my opinion/experience.

• Mica has this yellow ball that has a squeak sound like an animal. She loves this ball and the sound of it. She likes to chase it down the hallway when I throw it, but she also likes me to chase her and get her. It becomes a challenge and a game for us. She doesn't care how either, just play chase all over the place as long as it is chase. We have also invented a new game within the past week. It is similar to the critters she likes to dive into and try to hunt in the small shrubs when we go for walks- I think they are moles since I saw some running for cover out of the shrubs one time on a walk - little brown mounds scooting - they were probably scared at that time. That is when she looks like a gazelle diving, her ears must be like radars to hear the silent sounds I can't hear, she is so graceful and beautiful to watch. But this play-hunt game we both play consists of messing up the pillows and blankets and getting the ball out of her mouth. When that is done, the ball is squeaked (me being the squeaker) in my hand, buried and moved from one location under the pillows and blankets to another and she hunts and moves and dives until she finds "hunting" for the sound of the "animal" buried somewhere and she gets the "animal". (I let her get the animal when she gets real close to the ball). The "animal" travels all over the bed and makes little squeak sounds. Don't know how this game got invented, but there it is. Mica seems to be really happy about this. The game can commence for 15-20 minutes or so. I think that makes for a very happy time for Mica and me, she is sleeping now, after playing "hunt the squeak".

Bamicas mom

• Great job and sounds like a lot of fun Bamicas mom!

• @nobarkus:

I used to play games with mine like hide and seek. You throw something to they chase it then go ditch them. Chase each other around the house. Ringo used to love running by me really fast and I'd touch him like I was trying to get him. He loved it!

That's so funny, I play both of those games with Alani and she absolutely loves it. Hide and seek is my favorite, I'll hide and call her name in a low voice and she'll look in the room, leave and search another room and I'll call her again and then usually after 3 or 4 times she'll find me and just like when you're little she'll get a little scream from the anticipation from me which she thinks is pretty funny.

And of course she love to play tug of war/fetch.

• My Jojo loves to be walked and pet and peanut butter in her kong and go out in the back yard and chase little critters and look around or nap in the sun but other than that she really doesn't play with stuffed toys or balls…she is 11yrs, I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not...

• Mine played like I described when they were 2 or 3 years old. When they got up around 7 or 8 they become less interested in playing. Chasing squirrels or anything that runs is always an interest.

Suggested Topics