Skip to content

I'm onto you!

Behavioral Issues
  • I didn't understand at first,
    I thought she was misbehaving.
    Grabbing the toilet paper and dashing out of the room...
    Ripping (bigger) holes in the socks I left by the bed...
    Chewing on the attachment to my hair dryer that never gets used...
    I thought I was just learning about having a Basenji.
    Then I caught her!
    As she turned to look back half way down the hall...
    I'd swear she had a laugh in her eyes.
    With a "catch me if you can!" smirk on her face.
    She wasn't trying to be a bad dog...
    She just wanted me to play a bit with her.
    So I knotted up that old ace bandage,
    And we played "tug of war".
    The material was stretchy,
    Which just made it more fun.
    We played a little bit.
    She didn't need to grab more things.
    Now we understand eachother.
    She was only bored.

  • Yep. :)
    Just like children, you can give them good attention or bad... you are in control.

  • Such a cute story...and so true!

  • It is their boredom that you have to curtail (pardon the pun), not there energy or their spirit. I have four Bs, and they all have different personalities. The bones keep them occupied for a while, and they keep their teeth clean. Their teeth are important.

Suggested Topics

  • Why all this talk about 'unpredictable'?

    Behavioral Issues
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    K
    I got a big 'good' and 'unpredictable' surprise this morning: Binti was chased from view by a german shepherd and didn't come back. Usually they will walk around until we find each other again. This time she went all the way back to the car park, where she sat down next to our car, whining and moaning. I had no idea she knows which car is ours…
  • What's THIS peeing all about?

    Behavioral Issues
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    6k Views
    Patty MP
    I hope all are okay tonight! :)
  • Do they or don't they?

    Behavioral Issues
    12
    0 Votes
    12 Posts
    9k Views
    P
    I've followed this thread with interest and I think both Debra and Fran have pinned it down. I do think that right and wrong are subjective and that those who say that animals feel guilt are anthromorphising. Guilt is a very human feeling. I raise my Basenji to respect me but I also respect them. They listen to me and I 'listen' to them. I see no need for physical discipline. My dogs are taught from the beginning what their limits are. Not to say that they are instantly obedient. They are just normal Basenjis with normal Basenji instincts. Some are unacceptable to me and that is where I draw the line. I believe the tone of voice is very important as is the Basenji's vocalisation. I feel it's good that we don't always agree - after all it would be a very dull forum if we did!
  • Mirtillo meets his 'nephew'

    Behavioral Issues
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    6k Views
    lauralopezL
    Oh how funny. I just happened to be looking on YouTube yesterday and watched your video. I love your last pix.
  • Unbelievable B's!!!

    Behavioral Issues
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    5k Views
    renaultf1R
    Animals definitely know. The one day that I've been sick since Ruby arrived, she curled up with me on the couch for most of the day…wasn't her usual rambunctious self. I once was taking care of my friend's black lab for a weekend and was sick one of the days. I was on the couch and the dog just came over and put his head on me like he was saying "sorry you don't feel well...don't worry about running around with me, I'll stay with you"...it was the sweetest thing, and we basically just hung out in front of the fire for the day.
  • I'm So Happy!!!!

    Behavioral Issues
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    4k Views
    jennifereverJ
    i was really worried about taking my new basenji to the dog park this past weekend, because his last owner said he was bad with other dogs, but he had so much fun! i'm proud of him! he even got a girlfriend (and boyfriend!!) (this gorgeous rosey light fawn-greyish colored italian greyhound - absolutely beautiful!) and then this grey male i.g. started humping him, lol.. that's the boyfriend :p . so good job to your basenji! it's so nice to see them get along with others!