• @zande
    I agree, things change, research finds new things. Leora and I were just talking about SIDS and how theories have changed. It used to be stomach, but in 1998 they said back and firm mattress. Doctors rolled their eyes at yogurt, but then had to admit it does help. (I'm not going to look up the chain thing.. my thinking is for kids, concentrating on the rhythm of it helped to ease the visual as side vision is one part of motion sickness. That way I won't prejudice myself against it in case of need. 🙂 )

I'm soon to be 62, so I doubt by much. I feel 90 some days.

• @debradownsouth said in Use of Rescue Remedy:>

WOW, I see you’ve had a few more “it’s not MY problem” threads. Priceless 🙂 At some point you might want to reevaluate yourself. Couldn't hurt, no one's perfect.

<<< I'm soon to be 62, so I doubt by much. I feel 90 some days. >>>

Debra, you’re feeling like 90 some days is likely due to your rigid and naive trust in mainstream medicine. I’m 60 and feel like 35 most days, and I’m more for alternative modalities. I don’t take a single prescription drug, I’m constantly told I look half my age and the same goes for my husband, children, relatives and friends who share the same alternative beliefs. My animals are in optimal health and live long lives. We live our lives bravely by what we know works, not by naively trusting in the ever-changing research.

FTR, Bach’s Rescue Remedy is a life saver for many in both human and animal therapy. It is especially used in the avian community, myself along with tens of thousands of bird owners worldwide use it for their parrots - and that’s a bigger research study than most government studies of 200 or so participants. Does it work for all, of course not. Drugs don’t work for all, many even kill. Why not try something safer first? Hippocratic Oath: First, do no harm. Some of us are brave enough and confident enough to be our own scientists for the love of our animals and our humans. Such brave and devoted individuals should never be censored. Research isn’t written in stone; it changes constantly.

About that RLS (restless leg syndrome) of yours, research magnesium - both orally and in a topical oil – also weekly Epsom salt baths. Hope you find relief from it so maybe you won’t be so “cranky." If you do find your cure using magnesium....you’re welcome!

As a side note, my dog is scheduled for a laparoscopic spay very soon, before her second heat. She has adjusted wonderfully to her homemade organic diet, which seems to have calmed her nippy trait as well. It never ceases to amaze me how diet and herbs are nature’s best healers.

• @debradownsouth said in Use of Rescue Remedy:

I'm soon to be 62, so I doubt by much. I feel 90 some days.

Marvin was 91 when he broke his neck. That didn't kill him but old age probably did. Yes I am younger than he was but a heck of a lot older than you ! And therefore old enough to distrust conventional 'scientific arguments' in favour of personal experience. And alternative medicines if appropriate - for example, I am a firm believer in the efficacies of acupuncture for the older Basenjis and for ME !

If a thing works, I will try it again.

Newspapers are full of advice. Eat this, avoid that - and within a week they reverse things - So I read things with a large degree of scepticism.

Live yoghurt replaces the flor in the stomach after a dog has experienced a period of vomiting etc. I thoroughly recommend it.

Well done, Gigi, for going for a 'keyhole' spay. I did with the gal I had to spay when Marvin was in the hospital. She was over it within a very short time.

• @zande Thank you so much Sally, I was going back and forth for a while about the "keyhole" spay, wasn't sure whether to take the ovaries or the uterus. Decided with the help of our holistic vet. I want to make it easier for my girl with the keyhole. She will not tolerate wearing a cone/e-collar for long, I needed to find a way that the healing time is shorter with less need for pain meds, etc.. It's so helpful to hear from someone who had it done to their dog and was happy with the procedure. I'm still going to be a wreck that day!

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I give my dog a little plain yogurt a few times each week, it keeps any digestive and/or yeast issues away. I also feed a little pumpkin. Unsweetened pumpkin is great for dogs. Especially in cases of diarrhea or constipation, works fast for both. They usually love the taste too.

• Thank You Gigi and Sally for backing me up. I would rather trust alternatives them drugs any day of the week. I'm not saying that for some dogs and people that they don't work but,I believe to try something less trying on the body does the trick.
    And, I'm not a bully,everyone is free to do what they want,just don't claim it doesn't work when there are some that have had it work.
    My experience started race horses back in the late 60's. I apprenticed with a trainer that learned from the best, The late great " Sunny Jim" Fitzsimmons. He trained winners of the Triple Crown races. I learned early on about alternative ways although they weren't alternative back then.
    I brought my skills into dogs when I got into basenjis back in 1976. I still work in the horse field
    and even though there are many new treatments for horses,many including me use time honored ways.
    It has helped me with the dogs as many are the same. Easier on the system and I love that I have kept alive traditions that have stood the test of time.
    My Rocky was/is a great racedog,winning the LGRA/NOTRA National twice as high combined winner and was #1 LGRA Basenji 4 years in a row and NOTRA 2 years in a row so I must be doing something right.
    I love my basenjis with everything in me and only give them the best of everything including only natural medicine.

• @rocky1 Hi Rocky1, sounds like you really love and care very well for your dogs. I agree with you 100% about trusting alternatives and natural medicine. I have doctors and nurses in the family, so I know about the mainstream medical profession, a bit too much actually. Our bodies and especially animals bodies are designed for natural healing, it just seems like common sense to try it first.

Your dog Rocky sounds amazing. You should be very proud!

• @serenjane Hi, Rescue Remedy is a well-trusted and safe therapy for birds, dogs, horses and humans. It's been around a long time. I have used Rescue Remedy for my dogs who get nervous during thunderstorms and it worked better for some than others, I have also used it for a cockatoo parrot I rescued 18 years ago. He's 22 today and still going strong. I would say it's safe, so why not try it? It doesn't work for all, but it does for many. Research essential oils such as lavender, valerian, and there are specific synergy blends made for calming dogs. * I only use essential oils as aromatherapy in a diffuser, not internally.

I'll suggest something I have used over the years for dogs, "VetriScience Composure" Chews - recommended by veterinarians, yet safe and natural. Another popular one is "Quiet Moments Soft Chews by NaturVet" - they can take the edge off a nervous dog, but again may not work for all. You can find several such calming chews on Amazon, look for ingredients such as Chamomile, Melatonin, L-tryptophan, Passion Flower. The ingredient I like most is L-Theanine. L-Theanine is an amino acid and safe for dogs, it's wonderfully calming for humans dealing with anxiety too. GoldVet Naturally Calm contains Suntheanine, which is a 100% pure type of L-theanine. You may have to try a few different blends and brands to see which one works best for your dog. Best of luck!!!

• @gigi
    Thank you for your response and encouragement to keep trying different things for calming Seeka. This is week 2 with the Rescue Remedy. I’ve tried a few of the “calming” treats, however she will not touch them even if wrapped in cheese.

• @serenjane You're quite welcome. Our fur babies enjoy giving us a hard time - lol I wonder if you inserted the chew into a small meatball would she take it? If nothing works they do make liquid drops, but I've never used the liquids. The "VetriScience Composure Max" also comes in a liquid form on Amazon.There is another one I see mentioned on several dog forums called "K9 Calmer" (Amazon). I prefer the VetriScience, but both products contain L-Theanine, and Thiamine (B1). Might be easier to give a liquid added to a bit of applesauce or mixed with something Seeka really loves. My girl loves applesauce, peanut butter, plain yogurt, pureed pumpkin, sweet potato, and coconut oil, she would eat anything mixed with those. Happy to help, hope you find something that works for Seeka!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• @debradownsouth Reporting my post??? You were bullying MORE members and you posted your usual rant to me...lmao. I’m sticking up for members that you are bullying right on this thread above. Good luck with that.

Wow, you sound quite jealous. I would rather not continue with this, and I really can’t imagine why you would want to continue? I am forthright. I’m the kid who stuck up for the kids being bullied in school. Sometimes a person can only learn when they get a taste of their own medicine. I saw recent threads on this forum where you were bullying others and I restrained myself from getting involved, but it really gets my dander up to see people, who are asking for help, being bullied or censured. You are censuring others every time you respond to them in a condescending and bullying manner. Responding with criticism is stifling and discourages some people from posting again. Not allowing others to have their own opinions is a form of censuring. That’s the reason you’re having so many problems with so many people on this forum. A forum of this nature is supposed to be a peaceful place to share, learn and have fun, not a stressful place where members have to keep fending off a bully. Could this be why several members were trying to find a way to leave this group a month ago?

From here on maybe I’ll just give those members posts that you’re bullying a thumbs up click, so they know they have some support. As for when I post, please don’t respond to any of them, that should solve YOUR problem.

Go take a walk in nature, rub a dogs belly, feed a stray cat, count your blessings...it’s good for the heart.

• @gigi

I am sorry for you. I really am. But thank you for proving you have an obsession.

Pour through the forum and find me any personal attacks I have made except in response to nonsense like yours, or in regard to irresponsible breeders. That should keep you busy. I'll wait.

• This post is deleted!

• @debradownsouth Explain your problems above in this thread with two other members

• This post is deleted!

• @debradownsouth You're projecting again.

• This post is deleted!

Suggested Topics