• Does anyone know anything about this site? I know there are lots of puppy scam sites on the net and I wondered if this is one of them?

http://www.houseofbasenjis.com/

• Puppymill/byb. Run, run fast. You can get well bred pups from a responsible breeder for the same price.

• @WingedLion - Agree with Debra, please go to a responsible breeder.... you can search for responsible breeders at www.basenji.org and there is a link to find a puppy that will show you breeders by state. Be sure you get health testing information and verify it. DNA testing for Fanconi and PRA is a MUST... and those results are published for anyone to research

• I was just curious since no breeders listed with BCOA have any puppies this time of year.

• Most Basenjis are born around December as that corresponds with African spring. There is the odd summer litter, but most puppies are available to go to new homes around February. You should get on a waiting list now for a good breeder.
    -Joanne

• I'm on a few lists with breeders near me and with BRAT. I was hoping to find one now instead of waiting till February. I know the chances of finding one now is very slim but I will keep hoping anyway. 🙂

• Two of my girls were born in August, so it's certainly possible you might find something at this time of year.

I had a look at the website on the link you posted. The home page doesn't look too bad, but the description of the puppies listed is bizarre! An 8 week old puppy described as " a very good protector." and "Barks at strangers" Really? A Basenji pup? And in the testimonials I find this gem "Vet say he was extremely healthy, but quite possibly the most charming Chihuahua he had ever met." Interesting description of a Basenji pup indeed! 😉

• Having your girls born in August sounds good. I hope some other Basenjis have a litter this month.

Yeah I saw a lot of red flags about that site and that's why I asked about it. Another thing I noticed it was the only breeder site I seen that didn't enter their dogs in shows.

• You will be hard pressed to find litters born in August. This is just about the time of year that 90% of Basenjis come in season

• @tanza said in House of the Basenji:

You will be hard pressed to find litters born in August. This is just about the time of year that 90% of Basenjis come in season

Were summer litters more common in the past? My girls were August 10th, 1975. and August 17th, 1982, non related lines, two different breeders but both in Ontario. My boys, OTOH, were November and December babies and U.S. born, but more recent. One from Washington State, one from Ohio. Perhaps I was just lucky to find puppies at a time of year I was looking for one!

Just a further note......I know Basenjis typically only come into season once a year, with some exceptions, and that it is usually in the fall. Totally anecdotal, but BRAT currently has a pure African female, bred in South Sudan, and the birthdate is August 26, 2014. Probably coincidental, but interesting....

• @eeeefarm - Sometimes situations will bring many Basenji in early... for example on of my girls was born in August and my boy in early September. Basenjis cycled early that year because the Basenji National was in June, one bitch was having a post puppy season and all the others followed suit

• I found a litter that was born in June. Just waiting for the owner to confirm they're still available.

• @WingedLion where is this litter located? Thanks.

• I would think that maybe summer litters are becoming more common as it seems to me that more females are cycling more than once a year. Could that be because they are less dependent on their litters needing to born in Africa's spring? I don't know, just thinking. My one and only Basenji litter was born in June '92.

And, thinking about it, summer in North America is a much better time of year for them to be born. Way nicer weather.
    -Joanne

• @Golf_Guy I seen your post looking for tricolor, so I didn't want to give out info until I secure one. He had 2 females and 1 male tricolor but the male is sold already. I'll post links after I secure one.

• @Golf_Guy I also found 3 more tricolors available last week but so far the owner has not replied to me. Her name is Dorthy W on Oodle Marketplace. I couldn't post a link because the forum software said it was spam.

• @WingedLion Thank you for the info!

• @WingedLion said in House of the Basenji:

@Golf_Guy I also found 3 more tricolors available last week but so far the owner has not replied to me. Her name is Dorthy W on Oodle Marketplace. I couldn't post a link because the forum software said it was spam.

Please believe me, you are dealing with a puppymill. Please... if you don't care about health of the lines, go through rescue. Do not put money into the hands of people like that. No responsible breeder would put their dogs for sale on that site.

• @DebraDownSouth Not sure if she is a puppy mill or not. She has 2 Facebook pages you can check out:

https://www.facebook.com/KoinoniaBasenjis/
    https://www.facebook.com/dorothy.williams.7712

• @DebraDownSouth I just heard from Dorthy and I don't think she is a puppy mill because she said she wouldn't sell me a Basenji because I live too far away. A puppy mill wouldn't care how far away I lived. All they care about is making the sale.

Suggested Topics