• EL D will baroo when he's really excited about something (like I'm late with his dinner) but he doesn't drag it out, just a "baroo". I'll have to try encouraging him with N.F. songs!

• Senji usually baroos when he's mad at me about something. Usually if I'm leaving to go out, I'll say "bye bye" to him and he'll baroo because he's mad that I'm leaving. He'll also baroo when I come back home, as if to say "how can you leave me?" He also has his happy baroo when other members of the family come over for a visit. And there's also the baroo when he hears the fire engine sirens.

• Mickii Baroos to tell me that someone other then her did something bad while we were at work or out… gggg.... of course it was never her....

• @tanza:

Mickii Baroos to tell me that someone other then her did something bad while we were at work or out… gggg.... of course it was never her....

Blondie does this too 🙂

• I'll never forget the first baroo out of my last little girl. She was only about 10 weeks old. The whole family (6 of us) were standing in the kitchen laughing and talking when she ran in and sat right down in the middle of us and let out the sweetest little barroo I had ever heard!! The little guy we have now is not very barrooey at all.

• <sniff>not a peep. I could cry.
    I wish our little guy would say something. Not even an Umf.</sniff>

• Leo occasionally stretches out a squeak when he yawns, but no baroos or yodels yet. Nexa is a baroo machine, we encourage it:) We think Leo makes noise when we come home, but before he is out of the crate, but it’s hard to tell. Nexa is loud enough you can’t tell if it’s just her or if he is chiming in. No hard evidence yet.

• Cory is silent most of the time but she does have a collection of sounds. Her Barooooo is usually for "Where have you been? I missed you so much!" The single Woof is usually when she is sounding an alert - especially if something startled her. Then she has a couple of sounds that aren't really too describable. She has one one sound that is clearly a string of dog obscenities! When you hear that one, you know you have been chewed out. Then she has a 4th noise that our daughter describes as a "goat doing a man burp." You'd swear she was swallowing her tongue and making sort of a bleat noise at the same time. And then she does have her run of the mill growl. She usually saves that for the Vet.

• As I posted early in this thread it is all my girls who are talkers. Rally has a nice clear Baroo. She also has a rev up to a baroo which some people think is growling but is really just her getting excited but not quite enough to fully ROO. Both her daughters do this also but Sophie much more than Rio. It is like a "RRRR, RRRR, RRRR, RRRR" sound and if you can get them excited enough they will folloow with "RRRR, RRRR, RRRR, RRR, ROOOOOOO". Rio does not do so much of the revving up but she sort adds a "blah, blah, blah" to the end of some of her yodels especially if she is tattling.

Nicky reserves almost all of his happy vocalizations for trying to get the girls to play with him or for the "bunny" at lure coursing. They are all "please play with me" sounds.

• @lvoss:

As I posted early in this thread it is all my girls who are talkers. Rally has a nice clear Baroo. She also has a rev up to a baroo which some people think is growling but is really just her getting excited but not quite enough to fully ROO. Both her daughters do this also but Sophie much more than Rio. It is like a "RRRR, RRRR, RRRR, RRRR" sound and if you can get them excited enough they will folloow with "RRRR, RRRR, RRRR, RRR, ROOOOOOO". Rio does not do so much of the revving up but she sort adds a "blah, blah, blah" to the end of some of her yodels especially if she is tattling.

Nicky reserves almost all of his happy vocalizations for trying to get the girls to play with him or for the "bunny" at lure coursing. They are all "please play with me" sounds.

I LOVE the 'blah, blah, blah' at the end. Blondie is our only one that does that…it is like a continuing conversation. And like you said, she doesn't build up usually, but belts out the begining like Esther Williams...then 'wah,wah' at the end.

Of our six, 3 baroo pretty regularly..and 3 are silent except when unhappy. Strangely...those three (the quiet ones) are all very closely related.

• @Vanessa626:

<sniff>not a peep. I could cry.
    I wish our little guy would say something. Not even an Umf.</sniff>

Have you tried actually making the Baroo sound when you come home to try to encourage it?

Also, our most vocal one always has to have a toy in his mouth or he can't seem to make much sound. Maybe it keeps his mouth in the right configuration or something, I am not sure if it is just our particular dog or what, but you could try it.

• @LeeL:

Have you tried actually making the Baroo sound when you come home to try to encourage it?

Also, our most vocal one always has to have a toy in his mouth or he can't seem to make much sound. Maybe it keeps his mouth in the right configuration or something, I am not sure if it is just our particular dog or what, but you could try it.

With our ones who do Baroo…we can definitely insight them to do it by barooing at them...with our quiet ones...no...they just look at us like we are absolutely nuts.

I know that our quiet ones CAN do it. Ivy has barooed like twice in her life...she has to be over the top happy, though...like reuniting with us after a long separation...and it just doesn't happen very often...and it was only when she was young. And I think Querk may have done it once as a puppy. I don't recall every hearing Luna baroo. But she is super quiet in all aspects.

I think you just have to feel the baroo...kind of like spontaneous singing. I will do it occasionally when I am feeling really good...but DH, Tim...NEVER...not a singer (for good reason 😉 ) And some people break out in song ALL the time...to the point of ridiculi 😉

• My husband barrooos at the dogs frequently. The girls will sing back to him, Nicky just looks at him. Heart, Rio's sister, doesn't barrooo. She will make other noises but no true barrooo and she never participated in yodeling contests her siblings would start as puppies. Rio barrooos all the time, she will even do it on her morning walk. Sophie talks alot but it is not always the nice clear barroos, lots of revving and partial rooos.

• I baroo back at my dog when she baroos. Sounds like two unrepentant chain-smokers trying to sing. 🙂

• @LeeL:

I actually have tried this and my boy looks at me like I am crazy! Hahaha
    I think my boy is just mute.

• @Vanessa626:

I actually have tried this and my boy looks at me like I am crazy! Hahaha
    I think my boy is just mute.

My boy, OJ at 16+ has still never yodeled… not even anything close... and now that he is old, old... he just "groans" like an old man...:p

• my mother-in law is visiting and trixie who usually is good for one baroo every morning has not done it since she arrived. She has however done her tazmanian or devil talk and my mother-in-law was scared!! We laughed and removed Trixie to our bedroom. It was obviously past her bedtime!! lol

Suggested Topics