• And I wasn't assuming anything when I said "not work out for you", you yourself mentioned that you've dealt with fanconi, anxiety issues and immune problems, I never implied that you didn't love any of the dogs that had these issues. Maybe I've been relatively lucky with the rescues that came through here. But the odd well-bred dog can have issues.

My heart dog was a purebred, bred by myself, his parents had all the appropriate testing, nothing sinister in their backgrounds… this dog was born with the majority of his pancreas missing (which wasn't discovered until his necropsy at age 8). He was my unhealthiest dog of all, but I loved him the most.

And for the record, I'm only a half dozen years behind you.
    -Joanne

• @giza1:

Rescue rescue dogs DO make totally good pets, It's unfortunate that yours didn't work out for you. -Joanne

@giza1:

And I wasn't assuming anything when I said "not work out for you", you yourself mentioned that you've dealt with fanconi, anxiety issues and immune problems,

You are assuming they "didn't work out" for me. Having issues doesn't mean they didn't work out. It doesn't mean not good pets. It MEANS health and other issues. As you pointed out, you have a chance of problems even with the best bred. But research has consistently proven that testing sure as shootin' gives you a lot better odds.

So yes, you assumed that because they had issues it "didn't work out." That's a huge reach from having problems. I don't consider issues as "didn't work out."

• Well, if you go back to your first post on this topic, the way you were writing about the rescues you're had gave (me) the impression that you were disappointed with them, and in my mind, if you are disappointed with your dogs, "they didn't work out" for you. So that's not really a huge reach.

That's the trouble with the written word, if you don't chose your words carefully, what one is trying to communicate doesn't necessarily come across, and may give the wrong impression. And no, I am not accusing you of incorrect word usage.
    -Joanne

• Joanne, unless someone SAYS something, and at no point did I say disappointed in or didn't work out, then the only issue is the reader's assumptions. That you stretched my describing my current rescue into a lifetime of disappointed rescues and not working out when no such thing was said… well, I do find it funny you want to justify your ASSUMPTIONS on my post but jump others for interpreting yours. Hmmm. Done with this. Have a good day.

• Bottom line to this thread that I recommend that people look to a responsible breeder that health tests before breeding and that those results are public available at www.OFFA.org That said… responsible breeders will breed FIRST for temperament and at the SAME time to a Basenji that represents the breed standard, period! Breeders that show, breed to that standard INCLUDING health, conformation, temperament in total... not one or the other... show breeders (as you call them) breed first for themselves to improve the breed, but they can't keep everything... so most important is temperament and health for the pups in that litter that they place... at least for me

• First Basenji's

I applaud you for getting a rescue. There are tooooo many out there. For a first timer, an older one would be good, at least 18mos old or more where their personality is who they are at this age. Research all you can, and if you fill out an application and are denied, no not stop trying. I was denied by a Basenji rescue, and Uzie is my second where I found him right here 'free to good home' so we drove two days to pick him up and he is thriving without fenced in yards. (not for everyone as not everyone lives on 10 acres or more…I get this....!) but he has blossomed and doing well. So, don't give up!
    attachment_p_173034_0_thethreetravel.jpg

Suggested Topics