• Loki barely even realized he had surgery. Also, I had one heck of a time trying to keep him from jumping and running around until we got the go ahead from the vet. And the energy that built up because he couldn't race around like a maniac was crazy, even with more training and playing hide the treat games! Once he was good to go, he spent 10 hours at doggy daycare (out with other dogs the entire time except for the lunch break) and the following day we were at the dog park for over 4 hours as he still had energy to burn off and his dog withdrawal to fill- he loves dogs, and since he wasn't around any other dogs for a bit after his surgery, he actually started crying when we passed a guy walking his dog on the way to the vet for his final post-neuter check-up. I'm sure everything with your boy will be fine and he'll probably relish the extra attention you're sure to give 🙂

• Loki is such a brilliant name for a Basenji! Oh, yes - I don't know if you have Lily's Kitchen food in the US - but Butu has a tin of venison, pheasant and salmon mix for a couple of days time when his tummy has settled…..plus some Bedtime Biscuits and some that are supposed to build his immune system up. He has insisted on a coupe of gentle walks since he got home, but the treat games will come out tomorrow!

• I'm pleased to hear that Butu is recovering well from his surgery. I'm sure you'll be feeling ok with it now as well. I don't think the others were trying to put you off - just being concerned that you didn't feel (as many do by the way) that neutering will cure all problems which you weren't I gather. Incidentally it can take many many months for sexual activities to cease after castrating -it varies with different dogs so be prepared.

Nice to hear from you again.

• Thanks, Patty - you are absolutely right that I was not expecting the neutering to cure anything. I take it that by 'sexual activities' you are referring to his behaviour towards girls and boys? If so, thanks! Funnily enough, when we were sitting outside today, an intact boy came up and Butu wagged his tail at him! He is really not a wagger, so I was amazed! (And, no, before anybody thinks I think this was down to the neutering, I don't - this was a puppy, and he's always been fine with pups…) The wag was a real surprise though...

• A lot of research shows that dogs develop male hormone driven behavior well before a year, and that neutering after the behavior will not stop them. But the decrease in hormones will help making training those behaviors far easier, so early or late, you can usually get a bump in decreasing unwanted behaviors.

Glad all is well.

Suggested Topics