Yesterday, I noticed that my 9-year-old female has a rather swollen vulva and she's licking at it a bit–occasionally but not incessantly.
- She doesn't seem sick or in pain in any way (eating, sleeping, peeing, pooping, etc. are all normal)
- We've had very hot weather for the last 3-4 days (over 90 degrees)
- I don't see anything in the area that looks like a rash, bug bites, or anything oozing, bleeding, or scabbed
- She's not rubbing her bottom on the ground
- She isn't on any medication, doesn't have any chronic conditions, and has always been very healthy
She is spayed but I suppose that doesn't stop her from "coming into heat"--maybe that's what's going on? I haven't done anything to treat the swelling other than gently wash the area with cool water and make sure that she's drinking lots of water.