• Our puppy can gobble up pig ears within an hour. I don't know if this is a good thing or not. I always have to keep a close eye on the last little bit because he will try to swollow it and could possibly choke. I usually just toss it and give him a new large one. I have to take his pig ear away from him or else he will not stop chewing on it.

• That is normal. Pigs ears are more like a treat than a chew toy, IMO. They also are commonly recalled for salmonella contamination, so, use at your own risk 😞

• @Quercus:

That is normal. Pigs ears are more like a treat than a chew toy, IMO. They also are commonly recalled for salmonella contamination, so, use at your own risk 😞

OOhhh Good to know. Thanks Quercus.
    Any thoughts on Nylabones?

• I use Nylabones around the house, because my dogs won't fight over them. Then when they are in their crates, I will use sterilized bones (white) stuffed with goodies, or smoked bones with marrow and a little smoked meat still attached. I also will use compressed rawhide regularly…but never white rawhide.

• We purchased one of those bones filled with the filling but noticed some red in his stool the following days. We quickly stopped feeding him those thinking that it may of cut his throat or tummy.

• @Vanessa626:

We purchased one of those bones filled with the filling but noticed some red in his stool the following days. We quickly stopped feeding him those thinking that it may of cut his throat or tummy.

Do you mean the kind that come with stuff already in them at the store? Those use a lot of food coloring, so that might be what you saw coming out the other end.

With the bones, if you aren't seeing them getting actual pieces off, the likelyhood of them actually cutting something internally are virtually non-existant.

But, sadly, everything you give your dog to chew does have some risk. You just have to decide what you are comfortable with.

• Our puppy can gobble up pig ears within an hour.

Jazzy LOVES pig ears, but I don't give them to her anymore. Not since I realized that every time she eats them {or even the pig strips}, she gets gas that can clear a room and knock small chldren out cold. LOL

No more pork products for Jazzy.
    She also loves beef tendons - which I can only seem to find at my vet's office – and they last a lot longer than the pig ears anyway.

• Try bullysticks, JazzysMom. They're a little pricey (if you get the good, thick, real (if ya know what I mean) ones), but they last a long time.

Have you tried puffed pigs' ears, Vanessa?

http://www.bullysticks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_BSS&Category_Code=PUF

My boy goes through regular pigs' ears very fast (even the fresh ones from the butcher shop), but the puffed ones take awhile for him to get through.

• I've never seen puffed pig ears. Hahaha. They don't carry them at the petstore I go to. Thanks for the website, I'll order em and see how they work.
    I've found that pig ears keep my b out of trouble and me sane. 😉

• Feasting on pigs ears like he does is normal, like Andrea stated. Personally, I wouldn't give them to him all the time because they I feel they should be treated as treats and not food.

White rawhide does not tend to break down in the digestive tract and cause all sorts of problems. Smoked bones are excellent and sometimes you can find a butcher who will sell a lot to you cheap.

The stuff you get in stores I don't go for because of the preservatives-but to each his own.

Suggested Topics