Skip to content

Food mixup, now Sophie won't eat!

Basenji Feeding
  • Sigh. I swear all of the dog food bags at the store look the same! I grabbed the wrong bag the other day and now Sophie won't eat. :( Stick of course hasn't noticed the accidental switch. Should I suck it up and go buy what she normally eats, or will she just get used to this kind? :confused:

  • I would go and get the one she has been getting.. but that is just me…

  • @UnluckyDrabBear:

    Sigh. I swear all of the dog food bags at the store look the same! I grabbed the wrong bag the other day and now Sophie won't eat. :( Stick of course hasn't noticed the accidental switch. Should I suck it up and go buy what she normally eats, or will she just get used to this kind? :confused:

    Any chance the store will take it back? Sometimes they will if you bring in the bag and explain that your dog won't eat it. Some of the mfr's have guarantees like that. Can't hurt to ask.

    I think I'd be inclined to go get the right stuff, but if I couldn't I'd try dressing it up a bit – sprinkling of garlic powder and some warm water works wonders with Jazz; I think she'd eat dirt if I put a little garlic powder and warm water on it, LOL.

  • If I ever switch food for any reason–it's gradual. When a food is switched quickly, it can cause stomach upset, loose stools, etc.....I would get her regular food back.

Suggested Topics

  • Suddenly not eating raw food.

    Basenji Feeding
    17
    0 Votes
    17 Posts
    13k Views
    ZandeZ
    @mika said in Suddenly not eating raw food.: I wonder how stubborn are other basenji Just about 99.99% of them
  • Kibble 'pre-mix' ingredients

    Basenji Feeding
    19
    0 Votes
    19 Posts
    13k Views
    curlytailsC
    This was the answer from The Honest Kitchen, via their Facebook page: Me: _This article came up in a discussion on one of my dog forums: (link) It was pointed out that the Honest Kitchen appears to use a pre-mix, given the list of minerals and additives at the end of your ingredients lists. I know you have a very thorough list on your website about the countries from where you source your ingredients, but I was wondering if you could respond directly to the concerns raised in this article about mineral and additive sources?_ Their answer: Great question! We have an affidavit from our premix supplier that ALL the components are from European and North American Sources with the exception of one, which is from Israel. The components are blended right here in the USA. As with every ingredient in our diets, no part of our premix is derived from or has even been near to, China.
  • Dry food and real food!

    Basenji Feeding
    16
    0 Votes
    16 Posts
    9k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Fran, what does BAB after your name stand for?
  • Trying Your Dog's Food :D

    Basenji Feeding
    12
    0 Votes
    12 Posts
    9k Views
    etzbsederE
    Haha. I've made myself heart from the grocery store, and I liked it. I've had liver and onions and chopped liver, and they were good too. Freeze dried, just dounds so … dry... Medjai seems to like it though.
  • Won't eat out of a bowl. Any ideas?

    Basenji Feeding
    15
    0 Votes
    15 Posts
    9k Views
    Rita JeanR
    Happy that all is well and going so great since the food bowl solved. Have fun. Rita Jean
  • What's your b's favorite food?

    Basenji Feeding
    63
    0 Votes
    63 Posts
    61k Views
    DukeD
    @jys1011: We feed the same exact amount! And anything more than 1/4 of a can & the odor can kill us :D :D Oh my C3PO also snarks when he eats!!!! :eek: He sounds like a pig eating slop LOL :D My Topaz is MUCH more refined…licking & chewing very dainty :) :D LOL - HaHaa! I get the message. I'll go from 1/3 to 1/4 can. Last night, Duke was standing on the sofa playing with me when all of the sudden he . . . POOTED! His own poot scared him. He turned around to see what was there - couldn't find anything, but he did alot of sniffing . . . and looked embarrassed! :D