• What kind of a deposit did you have to put down for the pup and can you get it back? I just read the whole other thread about her and it is quite disturbing. "No I am not going to breed anymore" and then has puppies? Obviously these puppies are from the previous puppies that she kept. So that dog was bred at 1 year old. Too early to be having puppies. …Proven breeder (RED FLAG). I am disgusted by her now.

• No, we are going to let Mary Beth know that we won't be taking puppy home after all. I'd like to talk to her before I let her know. I feel so sick. I thought I had done my research on her. I did a search for her name on the forum and nothing came up a few weeks ago, not sure why. We went to her home and she seemed very knowledgable about the breed, I assume from the schooling she got a year ago. The dogs she currently has must be what she kept. Her dogs' names are Amber and Tux. Tux is the sire, so I am assuming that Amber was the dog that the dog she was looking to get rid of didn't get along with? Both dogs are listed on OFA, so I really thought that she was legit. She also has one of Amber's pups (now dog) from a previous litter named Dottie-Mae. Reading what I have in the thread from a year ago, I feel so betrayed. I realize that there are people out there looking to make a buck, but she did a good job of acting. She said that she had a basenji as a young girl and that Amber was her first one since. Lied right to my face and my trusting nature took it hook, line, and Sucker.
    Mary Beth did respond to me inquiring about keeping the puppy for another two weeks and she seemed like she would rather I take the pup on my trip. I am so unbelievably heartbroken. My heart was totally invested in that puppy. We are now searching again. We don't necessarily have o have a puppy or a pure-bred, just as long as a dog is good with our children. We gave into the puppy idea when we realized that raising a dog with children would help that. Back to the drawing board. So if anyone knows of a breeder or someone in TX looking to re-home a basenji(ish), keep us in mind. Thank you all for looking out for us and keeping us from making a mistake. 😞

• @krunzer:

What kind of a deposit did you have to put down for the pup and can you get it back? I just read the whole other thread about her and it is quite disturbing. "No I am not going to breed anymore" and then has puppies? Obviously these puppies are from the previous puppies that she kept. So that dog was bred at 1 year old. Too early to be having puppies. …Proven breeder (RED FLAG). I am disgusted by her now.

We paid $100 non-refundable deposit, which we will gladly eat the cost if it means that we are saving ourselves from future problem possibilities.

• @krunzer:

What kind of a deposit did you have to put down for the pup and can you get it back? I just read the whole other thread about her and it is quite disturbing. "No I am not going to breed anymore" and then has puppies? Obviously these puppies are from the previous puppies that she kept. So that dog was bred at 1 year old. Too early to be having puppies. …Proven breeder (RED FLAG). I am disgusted by her now.

We paid $100 non-refundable deposit, which we will gladly eat the cost if it means that we are saving ourselves from future problem possibilities.

• I'm so sorry. I know it feels a lot like a loss, even though you didn't actually get your puppy yet. I know it really sucks because you thought you did the right homework and got the right answers to your questions.

There are many nice basenjis and basenji-wanna be's listed on BRAT or Petfinder. There is also someone on here that is dealing with a litter of basenji-beagle pups. (Although I don't remember where they live.) Personally, I can't wait to see those puppies as they get a little older; I think there will be an overload of cuteness. You may want to start by going to basenji.org and locate a good breeder that way. Sometimes a breeder will have a young adult/older pup that they were growing up a little before placing. Sometimes they kept 2 dogs in order to see which was the better show dog or would fit their breeding plans better. The one they aren't keeping has been socialized, leash trained, house trained, etc and are really great dogs, just not quite the right fit for showing/breeding.

Good luck in your search and please know we're all here for you.

• http://www.basenjiforums.com/showthread.php?12698-PUPPIES!-17-days-old/page4&highlight=beagle

here's the link for the beagsenjis. Looks like she's in OK, so maybe not too far depending where in TX you are.

• Please contact Bob and Terry Reed (Terry is on the forums also), Illusion Basenjis Montgomery, TX
    They have two litters on the ground… and ARE A RESPONSIBLE BREEDER... robtreed@msn.com

A good place to always check for at least breeders that are members of the Basenji Club of America is www.basenji.org. Most responsible breeders are members of the Parent Basenji Club.

And most important, kudos for being open minded to realize that comments and references about "not so responsible breeders" and not taking offense. You will find in this breed that all the responsible breeders know or know of each other. And we usually know who may not be. When we post it is not to be stuck up or mean, it is to try and educate. May seems the opposite, but we are very passionate about our Breed.

• The only mistake made is Mary Beth Weiss is a bad breeder that gives wonderful breeders bad names. A good breeder breeds for the love of the breed and not the love of an easy buck. I am glad you still want to get a Basenji, what a wonderful breed! I am sure that you will find a good breeder on this forum that is near you. This is a good time of the year to find breeders with puppies but puppies are usually spoken for in a way due to the fact this breed only has one breeding season, for the most part. I understand your desire for a puppy and not an older dog…I have adopted older dogs from the "pound" and that is a good thing to do but sometimes you just want a puppy. Look into BRAT, a good Basenji rescue group and sometimes good breeders (who usually show dogs as well) have older dogs they would like to place in their "forever home"...so don't give up!

• I think you did the right thing… But I bet it really hurts so I commend you on doing the right thing, most people would have said they were too invested to back out. You clearly want the best puppy for your family in both health and behavior. I second pats suggestion of looking into one of Terry's pups. Keep us posted!

• I contacted Terry as well as all the other breeders listed in TX on BCOA! And, like I said previously, we don't necessarily have to have a puppy. We are on BRAT's list and receive updates about new dogs available, but many of them say they want to place them in homes with older or no children. I have yet to break the news to our two younger boys. Our daughter is informed and pretty upset, but what can you do?!

• @jjuds:

I contacted Terry as well as all the other breeders listed in TX on BCOA! And, like I said previously, we don't necessarily have to have a puppy. We are on BRAT's list and receive updates about new dogs available, but many of them say they want to place them in homes with older or no children. I have yet to break the news to our two younger boys. Our daughter is informed and pretty upset, but what can you do?!

Here is another person you can try, she is off to shows right now but I know for a fact that she has a few young dogs (no puppies) that she would like to place and she is also a responsible breeder. Brenda Cassel and the link to her website is http://www.freewebs.com/signetkennels. She is in Ft Worth. She should be home on Tuesday or Wednesday

I am sure that you will find the "perfect" Basenji for you and your family! It will be a match made in heaven!

• Oh that is going to be hard to tell the boys. You sound very intelligent and informed with this situation, I'm sorry it had to take such a negative turn but it will all work out in the end! Good luck and please keep us posted on you and your family's quest for a B. It is unfortunate that Mary Beth will get $100 free in all this, hope she get's a paper cut counting it!

• LOL Walter…. I agree.... big paper cut...

• You unfortunately can't do a lot except not fund a BYB. It is nice to see you are open minded about the situation though and want to do what is best for you. You don't want to take on a dog who may have health issues down the road. You will set yourself up for great heartbreak. I guess i can believe that she didn't want to keep the pup for another two weeks because it would eat into her profit, having to provide the little guy with more food and 'the hassle'. Your breeder is your best resource for information. If you can't talk to them or they don't want to take the time to help you out, you don't want to deal with that breeder. LOL that and she blatantly lied to you. It's ok it happens to the best of us. A good learning experience and you will definately know for next time! Take Care JJUDS.

• @tanza:

Here is another person you can try, she is off to shows right now but I know for a fact that she has a few young dogs (no puppies) that she would like to place and she is also a responsible breeder. Brenda Cassel and the link to her website is http://www.freewebs.com/signetkennels. She is in Ft Worth. She should be home on Tuesday or Wednesday

I am sure that you will find the "perfect" Basenji for you and your family! It will be a match made in heaven!

I contacted Signet Kennels and browsed their site, my husband is in love with the idea of an already-trained older dog. I'm in no rush, in the meantime, I will be gawking at everyone else's pictures! Thank you all so much for your help, I am truly grateful!

• http://www.basenjirescue.org/DOGS/TX/TX-Toby.asp

What about this little guy. Says he looooves kids.

• @jjuds:

I contacted Signet Kennels and browsed their site, my husband is in love with the idea of an already-trained older dog. I'm in no rush, in the meantime, I will be gawking at everyone else's pictures! Thank you all so much for your help, I am truly grateful!

Like I said, Brenda is off to shows in Portland, Or, but should be home Tuesday or Wednesday. I can highly recommend any of her Basenjis!

• @krunzer:

http://www.basenjirescue.org/DOGS/TX/TX-Toby.asp

What about this little guy. Says he looooves kids.

I hadn't seen Toby. He is a good-looking dog, I will have to look into him. The other two dogs posted for TX are as well, I've contacted BRAT about one of them, fingers crossed! I am fearful that they won't want to place a dog with our children. We have three children, a daughter that would fit the "respectful" criteria, but I also have two rambunctious boys that stay home with me!

• Being that he is a puppy this might work out because he would grow up with them. I would see what they say about him and you guys. Looks like he does like kids so it may not be a big issue? Good luck.

• @jjuds:

I hadn't seen Toby. He is a good-looking dog, I will have to look into him. The other two dogs posted for TX are as well, I've contacted BRAT about one of them, fingers crossed! I am fearful that they won't want to place a dog with our children. We have three children, a daughter that would fit the "respectful" criteria, but I also have two rambunctious boys that stay home with me!

I think that you will get a much difference response from Brenda and the young adults she has to place.

Suggested Topics