• I am searching for a red/white basenji puppy for Christmas. Does anyone know of any breeders who currently have puppies around 6-8 weeks old available?

• Why do you want a puppy for Christmas? Is this dog for you or is it a gift for someone else? How much do you know about Basenji's? Sorry to be all questions but you will find a lot of people really want to know answers to these.

• Hi there, glad you found the Basenji Forum. Lots of great information here.

Are you buying the puppy for yourself or for someone else? Do you know about the breed, or does the person you are buying for know about the breed? Basenjis are wonderful dogs, but need to be a proper match for the person/family they are going to.

Most breeders only let their pups go at 8 weeks. Some even little later than that. Six weeks is usually too young.

• the questions are not a problem! yes - the puppy is a Christmas/2 year anniversary present for my boyfriend. he has been researching dog breeds for over a year and is 100% certain that a basenji is the right dog for him. he had a puppy picked out and I had expressed interest, but the owner sold it righy before I paid for it.

• yes, the person it is for knows all about basenjis. I specified 6 weeks because I could give him
    the puppy anytime from now until new years but I should have specified 6-8 weeks!

• I'm with Krunzer. More than most breeds, Basenjis are NOT dogs to be acquired lightly. Folks who don't realize what they are getting into end up dumping their dogs at shelters. There are few breeds more prone to those in the know stating - "These are not the breed for everyone". If you want a Basenji on a whim - please, please think again and do some research. Go the the BRAt (Basenji rescue and tranport) site and look at the link titles :the good, the bad, and the ugly". As far as I understand they only come into heat once a year, so your chances of getting healthy basenji that isn't already spoken for is pretty slim as the new litters have just been born and most responsible breeders (like the ones on this forum) already have homes for the babies. I think if anyone can help you here, they are going to need more information.
    With all of that said, if you have already researched Basenjis and are sure you want one - have you considered adopting one from BRAT? Go to their website - they have lots of wonderful Bs available. But, be forewarned, the process takes a while and you won't get one before Christmas.

• Make sure whoever you buy from does HEALTH TESTING. The last thing you want to do is buy from a BYB and end up with a sick dog down the line just because they don't want to spend the money on the health testing. If you have done a lot of research you know that there are a lot of health problems with basenjis, including Fanconi, PPM, thyroid, etc. Make sure that the breeder has tested for these issues before they have bred the dogs. Don't rush into buying 'any old puppy' make sure you find a breeder you can feel comfortable with as they will help you along with your first B.

Have you gone to households that have Basenji's? They are way different in person than what you have read on the internet.

• I would suggest that you contact responsible breeders and better yet, visit with them. Responsible breeders will not place a puppy as a Christmas gift. They will want to meet the family. And Christmas is not the best time to introduce a puppy to a household… way to much going on. Basenjis from responsible breeders usually don't place puppies until 9 to 12 wks of age, certainly not at 6 or 7 wks.

Has your boyfriend visited with Basenjis in person? For the matter, you also if you are living or considering living together and/or getting married?

Do you know about the health issues in Basenjis and how to check for yourself that health testing has been done? Or how to find a responsible breeder? Here is a good link http://www.tanzabasenjis.net/selectbreeder.html

You can find responsible breeders at www.basenji.org, search for Breeder referrals. However, this time of year most breeders have full reservation lists for puppies.

• What I would like to say is that we are definately not trying to steer you away from the breed or discourage you from loving the breed. We as basenji owners just want what is best for the Basenjis. We want to make sure that people know what they are getting into. That is the reason for all of the questions. This is not an attack, we just want to understand what intentions you are going into with getting a puppy of this breed and what you expect. This is not a breed for everyone. One must have a lot of patience with them in order to raise them properly. Honestly its for the love of the breed.

• Why do you want/need a puppy at Christmas? For most families Christmas is too active of a Holiday to deal with training a puppy.

Many states have laws against selling a puppy under 8 weeks of age! The puppies are not socialized enough at that age.

Jennifer

• Here is a good recent thread that you should read. It is about another person wanting their first Basenji that was going to go to a Back Yard Breeder… Came and asked questions, listened to the answers and then found a responsible breeder to visit and get their pup from....

http://www.basenjiforums.com/showthread.php?12425-Anyone-ever-buy-a-puppy-from-Hilltop-Meadows-in-Caldwell-TX

• Yes Tanza that is a great example.

• he is the one who has done all the research. he would have a lot of time to train the puppy and like I said he has been researching dog breeds for over a year.

• I would contact a responsible breeder and set up an appointment to meet with them. Explain that he has done all the research and you would like to set up the meeting so you can get on their waiting list. Then on Christmas create a great little gift package with basenji stuff in it, I am sure we can all point you to some great things to fill a basket for a perspective owner. Include in it a card with your appointment with the breeder and maybe some pics of their dogs. Then when you bring the pup home you have a well bred pup who is coming home to a household that has been able to prepare for its arrival and is ready to spend time helping it settle in.

• @krunzer:

What I would like to say is that we are definately not trying to steer you away from the breed or discourage you from loving the breed. We as basenji owners just want what is best for the Basenjis. We want to make sure that people know what they are getting into. That is the reason for all of the questions. This is not an attack, we just want to understand what intentions you are going into with getting a puppy of this breed and what you expect. This is not a breed for everyone. One must have a lot of patience with them in order to raise them properly. Honestly its for the love of the breed.

Well stated Krunzer! Yes - no one is trying to discourage the OP from getting a B - but I think the short timeline has raised some concerns as getting a Basenji is not something to do on short notice. Thanks for your thoughtful post!

• A nice puppy preparation basket with an IOU for valentines day would be much better. If he has been researching the breed he knows how important it is to find the right breeder who does all the appropriate fanconi and other health testing.

• @hhud8068:

he is the one who has done all the research. he would have a lot of time to train the puppy and like I said he has been researching dog breeds for over a year.

I have had lots of people tell me that… however with a personal visit and meeting Basenjis, hearing first hand about the breed is much different then reading about them in a book.

For example: Myth: Basenjis do not shed, they do shed, not as much as other breeds but they do shed

Myth: Basenjis do not bark, they can bark (usually just a single sounding like a cross between a bark and a woof, we call "boof") but they are NOT mute, far from it. They howl, cry, growl, and when really unhappy, scream. And it can raise the hair on the back of you neck!

Myth: Basenjis are Hypoallergenic, they are not. They shed and have dander which is normally the cause of many allergies. Granted it is not as bad as many breeds so they can be good with people with allergies but they are not hypoallergenic.

• It is true that I have had many people come to visit who were sure basenjis were the breed for them who walked out sure they would never own one. Everything from, "Why do they sit on the back of the couch? That's what cats do." to "My they're athletic" as they vault over the couch and halfway up the stairs doing the B-500. I have also had many couples come over where one is totally sold and the other is clearly not. That isn't fair to the dog either. Everyone in the household has to want a basenji.

• @tanza:

Myth: Basenjis do not bark, they can bark (usually just a single sounding like a cross between a bark and a woof, we call "boof") but they are NOT mute, far from it.

I always say "they don't bark, but they make lots of other interesting noises" 😉

• @agilebasenji:

I always say "they don't bark, but they make lots of other interesting noises" 😉

Yes and some are very very very loud! :eek:

Suggested Topics