Two new issues with Tayda. 1\. Growling @ my husband. 2\. Peeing inappropriately

• Sounds like the jury is reaching a verdict. 🙂 I put a bench with a high cushion in front of the window, too, and have learned to open the shutters all the way! I did not do this at first and I came home to scratches on the window sill and teeth marks on the plantation shutters where "someone" had stood on their hind legs to try and open them. Of course, he soon learned that a quick flick of his nose would do the trick, but no need– I'm a quick study and now leave them wide open.

This hasn't stopped the peeing from separation anxiety, but it has helped the vocal and frantic discontent at not being able to see out.

• wow, I have to say this is pretty amusing. I'll give the window perch a try and see how it works. She did have access to the couch in the living room, but it was far away from the window and no heating vent. Perhaps that just wasn't good enough. ha ha.

• @ownedbyspencer:

and have learned to open the shutters all the way! I did not do this at first and I came home to scratches on the window sill and teeth marks on the plantation shutters where "someone" had stood on their hind legs to try and open them.

My venetian blinds suffered the same way when I tried to close them against the heat in the summer. No way I was taking away the "view". I have learned to live with the porch being hotter than it needs to be, as long as "he who must be obeyed" is happy. 😉

When you think of it, from a Basenji point of view it must be tough to have clueless "staff"!

• I have heated beds for my pups. There are several types, some electric, some microwavable. That might be a solution for the missing heat vent. or a space heater. most now are made with a shut off feature if it is upset.

And try a DAP. Couldn't hurt and might help.

• <<<

• Removed for fear of lack of privacy

• First Basenji's

I would just like to add something pertaining to the removal of her off couch, bed, etc. In lieu of picking her up, I would try sitting beside her and slowly move into her and 'make' her move herself to give you the space, until she is 'off' of what ever you want her to be removed from. Just in case, have a treat on you so when she is removed, use the command 'off' while she is on the floor and reward this position. Block her with your body, leg, arm (not hand) if she tries to regain her position. also, have her 'bed' or other appropriate basenji material to lay on while she is on the floor. I have actually gotten on the bed I want Uzie to sleep in and 'coo' words like GOOD BED, OHH BOY THIS IS SO GOOD…..(you get the idea) and he comes over and gives the big bed back to Hershey....(there has been growlies between them about sleeping quarters). Good Luck -hope the peeing gets resolved and that there are no medical conditions!
    ''

• Well we have all of Tayda's latest Fanconi bloodwork back and I'm happy to report that according to Dr. Gonto:

"This dog is PERFECT. I would change NOTHING in the bicarbonate dosing. It does not get any better then this!!!!"

🙂 This of course makes me very happy.

I did get a course of Clavamox for Tayda in case she does have a UTI - even though I don't really think she does - I'd rather treat her for one, than let it go and do more damage if there does happen to be one.

Still working on figuring out a more comfortable arrangement for Tayda while we're out. Our kitchen is under renovation so once it's done I'll be able to more seriously consider how we can change her "accommodations" while we're gone.

My husband has been doing the "you get nothing until you sit for me" thing and it seems to be getting a bit better with the growling. She still has her moments, but I think overall it is improving.

• That is great news to start the day with! 🙂 And GOOD HUBBY! 🙂

• Hello again - well it's been a couple weeks and though I think the growling at my husband is improving, we are still having issues with her peeing in the house when we are home and in her ex-pen when we are not home. She has been trained to use a litter box which is inside her ex-pen during the day, and she uses another similar litterbox in the bedroom at night. It really seems like the peeing she is doing in the house is deliberate. I don't know if she is doing it cause she senses my pregnancy and is acting out, or if she's being lazy to go outside since it's been colder out… or maybe a combination of both? IF I catch her peeing inside, I will firmly say "NO!" and pick her up and put her outside to finish her peeing. Sometimes she's already done though. Shouldn't this work? 😞 It doesn't seem to be.

Any ideas would be appreciated...

Suggested Topics