Holiday health
  • 0
  • Thought I'd share these caution items from our veterinary clinic (I didn't know about the pine needles) …

    Keep pets away from holiday buffets and don?t share your seasonal snacks. Alcoholic beverages, chocolate, coffee, onions, fatty foods, yeast dough, and macadamia nuts can all cause problems.

    Christmas tree branches definitely delight pets, who've been known to chew on them―and whatever decorations may be hanging from them. Place small, breakable ornaments high up, and keep tinsel and garland out of your pet's reach, as these can get caught in his throat. Be sure pine needles, which can be toxic, don't get eaten. And be careful to secure your tree so it doesn?t topple over if pets bump into it or climb on it (especially in houses with cats.)

    Be careful to place holiday greenery such as holly, mistletoe, lilies, and amaryllis out of your pets? reach. While beautiful to look at, they can make your pet sick if ingested.

    Breakable items such as glass and other ornaments pose a threat, along with electrical cords, heated decorative bulbs, hooks, and a wide variety of other adornment items. Don?t give your pets an opportunity to chew on or play with any decorations.

  • 0
  • I didnt know about pine needles either. I have pine trees all around my house. Though I don't think they would forage on them. But if the tree was in the house it would be a different story. For sure they would have it knocked down the second I got it up. I opted for a fake tree and put it in a room they dont usually have access to.
    Thank you for the good info!

  • 2
    Posts
  • 797
    Views
  • Log in to reply