Skip to content

Basenji Health Endowment

Basenji Health Issues & Questions
  • Important update from the Basenji Club of America:

    The Basenji Health Endowment is pleased to announce the establishment of
    its own website and information portal for the Basenji Fancy. The BHE can
    be found at:

    http://www.BasenjiHealth.org or http://www.BasenjiHealthEndowment.org.

    To inagurate our new website, the Basenji Health Endowment is pleased to
    announce that it has directly funded Dr. Gary Johnson of the University of
    Missouri to develop a marker-based test for Fanconi Syndrome. You may read
    the complete press release at:

    http://www.BasenjiHealth.org/bhe042007.pdf

  • @Quercus:

    Important update from the Basenji Club of America:

    The Basenji Health Endowment is pleased to announce the establishment of
    its own website and information portal for the Basenji Fancy. The BHE can
    be found at:

    http://www.BasenjiHealth.org or http://www.BasenjiHealthEndowment.org.

    To inagurate our new website, the Basenji Health Endowment is pleased to
    announce that it has directly funded Dr. Gary Johnson of the University of
    Missouri to develop a marker-based test for Fanconi Syndrome. You may read
    the complete press release at:

    http://www.BasenjiHealth.org/bhe042007.pdf

    And also there are links if you would like to donate to the Health Endowment… this is a very important break through for our breed and especially for breeders. For anyone that has had or knows of a Fanconi Affilicted Basenji.. knows what a terrible affilication this is.... and for us to finally start to get a handle on it is something we have been waiting for.....

    Please all remember strip test your Basenjis... at least once a month....

Suggested Topics

  • Age of your basenji?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    42
    2 Votes
    42 Posts
    22k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Yeah you told me about that before and I'm clueless, but I'll try it if I need to, lol. could be the noise of occasional thump, could be they can hear it even tho we can't. My chow would be drooling buckets before we got a mile away. I just had to keep towels down and take off and bag along the trip. But I took her for a 7 hr trip to atlanta and she threw up and threw up, then stopped. Never threw up again. :( on your back. I had been getting radiofrequency ablations in the US, and they really helped. But doctors here will only do them once or twice. I have had at least 6 on one side, 3 on the other. :( But it's miraculous pain relief when it is done right. Maybe your dog acupuncturists knows of a human one they'd recommend?
  • Ear health

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    3k Views
    KipawaK
    @vickilb: My little BRAT, Hunter, LOVES to make his own trails when we go hiking. Last year he got one of those Foxtail seeds stuck way the heck down his eardrum. He had to be put under because it was resting on his ear drum and he wouldn't hold still for the vet!!! $500 later, he is as good as new. Do I take him to the same hiking area, you betcha!!!! Those foxtails are BAD! We have them here in the summer, and they are everywhere, so there is not much we can do. Yes, that kind of vet procedure can cost quite a bit. What we don't do for our fur babies!
  • Holiday health

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    krunzerK
    I didnt know about pine needles either. I have pine trees all around my house. Though I don't think they would forage on them. But if the tree was in the house it would be a different story. For sure they would have it knocked down the second I got it up. I opted for a fake tree and put it in a room they dont usually have access to. Thank you for the good info!
  • Those Basenji ears?!?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    5k Views
    BarklessdogB
    Our red girl dog has the same problem. Freaks out when you touch her ears with a swab, but loves the inside of her ears rubbed when petting her. You know the two handed ear & cheek rub. That gave me an idea!. I found some real soft white - tight gardening gloves (unused), gave her an ear massage and cleaned her ears out. it worked well. I was extra careful not to push the dirt down her ears, but did kind of a wiping motion out and away from her inner ears. She loved it!
  • Itchy Basenji

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    12k Views
    jys1011J
    My C3 has the same itchy skin problems too mostly due to the 1001 allergies he has…but I use the Aveeno Oatmeal Ointment to help calm the itch & I also put Brewers Yeast tablets & Fish Oil tablets into his food to help keep his skin & coat healthy. Sometimes we need to bathe regularly (like once a week :eek:) in the Aveeno oatmeal shampoo to help as well. Good luck!
  • Jumoke Basenjis

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    9k Views
    JazzysMomJ
    Oh well… at least it brought Jumoke to the foreground again! :-)