Hello from Wyoming… wtf yeah, I didn't studder... but I do sometimes.

• He's got a mini dachshund living with him, they get along pretty good, Moose feels like the little man out when I'm playing tug o war with Senji, but Moose has no actual desire to play tug of war so he's just jealous.

Senji gets a few seconds in to the sniffing process and then snaps into aggression, he is a lot better if they can have that moment and then go play. But not many people let their dog come play after that.

• Yeah, they can be snarky… I always watch Watson and any dog we meet with eagle eyes. He is okay as long as the other dog is a polite dog. He is a very polite greeter himself.

• Sadly Senji is not so far

• @JakeHoffman:

Senji gets a few seconds in to the sniffing process and then snaps into aggression, he is a lot better if they can have that moment and then go play.

My Perry is like that. His idea of "greeting" is to try to nip (or bite!) the other dog in the face! If you can get past that initial reaction, and if the other party is female, then things are fine. He met his match in my girlfriend's Jack Russell bitch, who put him in his place in 10 seconds flat. But mostly we don't see a lot of other dogs, and I have no plans to take him to dog parks and the like, so it is a non issue for me, other than to pay attention when we are out walking.

If I needed him to be more social, I would take the time to try to sort this out, but there aren't a lot of opportunities to interact with other dogs where I live.

• I live in an extremely dog friendly apartment complex. Senji has plenty of time to meet other dogs and I do feel he's getting better slowly, as I catch him before he goes into a full dominance stance and get him to calm down and just look at the other dog and see he's not threatening him.

Senji is a big Basenji at 27 pounds and he thinks he's alpha a lot.

I'm trying to use positive reinforcement when he's good and just leaving the situation when he's bad. He's starting to learn he only gets the opportunity to go meet other dogs when he stays calm on the way over.

• Does he do this to all dogs or just dogs who charge up to him?

• @sharronhurlbut:

Does he do this to all dogs or just dogs who charge up to him?

LOL which would mean that the other dogs are in "his" space….. and he has every right to protect "his" space. At least IMO

• None of the dogs he does it do display to me any aggression. They sit there as Senji walks up to him, they start sniffing, Senji's mohawk raises and then he growls a tiny growl and then raises up and then both dogs are pissed.

He gets a lot better quickly if they can work it out a little bit. Then Senji acts like the better dog, except his throat bites, I know they are play bites, but nobody likes my dog playing like he's trying to kill their dog.

• Have you read Control Unleashed? There was a blind basenji that would go up to sniff a human and then would nip. So they taught this pup a sniff then retreat type of behavior. The Look at That game, whiplash recall, mat work, off switch game are great for this sort thing. I think the basenji was talked about a lot on the CU list about a year or two ago, you may want to join and check the archieves.

Suggested Topics