• @sharronhurlbut:

Pat, what age does the blue leave puppies eyes?

I think that is the flash

• Ok, thanks

• His eyes still look a little blue in some light but not as much as it did when I first got him. What is your estimate as to how old he is?

• Take a light and look in his eyes for strands of blue. The blue usually goes away long before the 11 or 12 weeks they claim he is. If there is still a lot of blue, he may have PPM and needs the vet to determine where the strands are located.
    http://www.basenji.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=155&Itemid=292#PPM

• @tanza:

He is very cute.. if those pictures are of him at 8wks, I am surprised… looks much younger... and don't see much Basenji there... but very cute all the same

agreed not a basenji, but adorable.

• @Barklessdog:

agreed not a basenji, but adorable.

What do you mean "not a basenji", as in he doesn't look like one? He's a cross between a schipperke and a basenji says the breeder. Does this mean she lied to me again? Or is there a possibility that he has a basenji father but doesn't look like him?

• Most quality breeders do not breed mixes. Does this breeder have basenjis? As I also don't see any in this pup.

• @sharronhurlbut:

Most quality breeders do not breed mixes. Does this breeder have basenjis? As I also don't see any in this pup.

She said she breeds both breeds separately but that her male had a mind of his own. So in other words it was an accidental litter. She said she's never had a mixed liter before.

• It is surprising how fuzzy he is if he was sired by a basenji. Genetically a smooth coated dog, that should be pure for smooth in the case of basenjis, crossed with a long coated dog should produce smooth coats.

Did the breeder witness the breeding or did she just guess when they didn't look like they were purebred?

• Well, you know this woman more than I do, but if she has not been honest in the past, I would question what she is saying. IS she sure one of the dogs who got to the bitch is a basenji? Cause that is the only way you can tell there is some basenji in this pup. IF the mom was a basenji. Otherwise, its just a IMO guess.

• @sharronhurlbut:

Well, you know this woman more than I do, but if she has not been honest in the past, I would question what she is saying. IS she sure one of the dogs who got to the bitch is a basenji? Cause that is the only way you can tell there is some basenji in this pup. IF the mom was a basenji. Otherwise, its just a IMO guess.

I guess maybe I'll be able to tell more when he's older and develops his features further. I don't understand why she would lie because she charged less because the pups were a cross and not a pure breed…

• I think he is adorable either way, and with mixed breedings you never know what you'll cOme out with! He does look more like a schipperke but that doesn't rule out basenji. Either way, the important thing is to love him and enjoy him more than worrying what he "is"

• @Chealsie508:

I think he is adorable either way, and with mixed breedings you never know what you'll ce out with! He does look more like a schipperke but that doesn't rule out basenji. Either way, the important thing is to love him and enjoy him more than worrying what he "is"

Well it's not so much that I'm worried… it's more if I should belong to this forum or not 😛

• Really no matter re his breeding. He is very cute and your love him. That is really all that is needed to make things work.

• Your totally welcome on the forum. Anyone is!

• You are more than welcome to be a part of this forum with a basenji or without one. The "dog" knowledge here is great and we appreciate dogs of all kinds, not just basenjis!

• Thank you… that's what I was thinking "but this site helps so much!" 🙂 thanks guys!

• skip's are neat little dogs with a hellion-type reputation, much like our basenjis. Of course anyone is welcome here, even if they don't have a basenji. I think if you hang around, you will get a lot out of it.

• @agilebasenji:

skip's are neat little dogs with a hellion-type reputation, much like our basenjis. Of course anyone is welcome here, even if they don't have a basenji. I think if you hang around, you will get a lot out of it.

Yea i've already learned a lot from this forum. My grandparents adopted a schipperke from a rescue who was abused. She hid for days but after awhile was the best dog I've ever known. She could walk off leash and would walk in unison with you. She was very loyal and loving so that's why I jumped at the chance to get basil. I think he has a little bit of basenji I think because his coat is shorter than what other schipperke puppies look like. We'll have to see though 🙂 thank you for all your support guys.

• For sure he is skip cross handsome stranger whoever it might have been

Suggested Topics