• Thank you… that's what I was thinking "but this site helps so much!" 🙂 thanks guys!

• skip's are neat little dogs with a hellion-type reputation, much like our basenjis. Of course anyone is welcome here, even if they don't have a basenji. I think if you hang around, you will get a lot out of it.

• @agilebasenji:

skip's are neat little dogs with a hellion-type reputation, much like our basenjis. Of course anyone is welcome here, even if they don't have a basenji. I think if you hang around, you will get a lot out of it.

Yea i've already learned a lot from this forum. My grandparents adopted a schipperke from a rescue who was abused. She hid for days but after awhile was the best dog I've ever known. She could walk off leash and would walk in unison with you. She was very loyal and loving so that's why I jumped at the chance to get basil. I think he has a little bit of basenji I think because his coat is shorter than what other schipperke puppies look like. We'll have to see though 🙂 thank you for all your support guys.

• For sure he is skip cross handsome stranger whoever it might have been

• Here are a couple of Schipperke websites:

http://www.schipperkeclub-usa.org/

http://www.schipperke.com/

There is a health category and you can research health problems.

I found it interesting that they have eye and thyroid problems like the Basenji. They can have the PPM which causes the blue tint to the eye. They also have patella problems. There are also diseases specifically to the Schipperke.

If the blue tint does not go away, I would have an eye exam done by an opthalmologist for him. I have a male Basenji who still had the blue tint in one eye as he got older and he has PPM and other eye problems. He is now 4 and the blue color is usually off to one side and can be difficult to see.

I would ask the breeder if the sire and dam of your dog or if any of their dogs in either breed have had PPM and if their breeding dogs have been CERF'd-eye exam.

Jennifer

• @dcmclcm4:

Here are a couple of Schipperke websites:

http://www.schipperkeclub-usa.org/

http://www.schipperke.com/

There is a health category and you can research health problems.

I found it interesting that they have eye and thyroid problems like the Basenji. They can have the PPM which causes the blue tint to the eye. They also have patella problems. There are also diseases specifically to the Schipperke.

If the blue tint does not go away, I would have an eye exam done by an opthalmologist for him. I have a male Basenji who still had the blue tint in one eye as he got older and he has PPM and other eye problems. He is now 4 and the blue color is usually off to one side and can be difficult to see.

I would ask the breeder if the sire and dam of your dog or if any of their dogs in either breed have had PPM and if their breeding dogs have been CERF'd-eye exam.

Jennifer

Thank you I'll keep an eye out :p

• If it were my puppy I would have an exam done by a Opthalmologist. Responsible breeders have this done before the pups are placed. When they don't then their new owners should. Doesn't cost that much and well worth it in case there are problems like excessive PPM or something like Juvenile cataracts. While PPM will not cause blindness, juvenile cataracts will.

• Well, I can testify on a very early accidental breeding between our Basenji Black Magic and my husband's Brittany Spaniel, we had 3 pups, all black & white, 2 smooth coats and one very fuzzy one. So it can happen. They were all adorable and found home quickly, in fact we had several homes to choose from for them all. And that thank goodness was our last accidental.

• @deschroedter:

Well, I can testify on a very early accidental breeding between our Basenji Black Magic and my husband's Brittany Spaniel, we had 3 pups, all black & white, 2 smooth coats and one very fuzzy one. So it can happen. They were all adorable and found home quickly, in fact we had several homes to choose from for them all. And that thank goodness was our last accidental.

You are correct, accidents happen even with responsible breeders, but that doesn't mean that health testing of those pups should be any different than a pure bred litter. Mix breeds can have eye problems just as much as pure breds.

• @tanza:

You are correct, accidents happen even with responsible breeders, but that doesn't mean that health testing of those pups should be any different than a pure bred litter. Mix breeds can have eye problems just as much as pure breds.

That is correct, those mixed pups got the exact same treatment as our purebloods, and the buyers, got the complete Basenji handbook that I had put together years and years ago. And you are correct any dog, pure or mixed, needs to be vetted yearly.

Suggested Topics