• We have recently had one of our pups returned, from last years breeding. He was in a show home, and doing ok, but for whatever reason he has come back to us :mad:…

After looking at him, (was called Kaos, but I REFUSE to have a Basenji in my house called Kaos ;), so he is now called Kayo), something was different about his head, something looked odd, but I just couldnt put my finger on what it was... Finally, (yes Ive been a bit of a duffer, not being able to see what the problem is, and of course its blatently obvious :o :o :o), I realised that he was missing pigment, around his eyes, and his mouth. Its not black at all, more a pinky brown colour...

I have 2 questions about it...

(1) Is there anything I can do to get some more pigment into him. I doubt it will be effective, but is there any supplements that I could try ???

(2) Where does this leave me with breeding him ??? To the breeders out there, would you keep him/use him in your breeding programme ???

Why would this have happened. I know Java and Diamond have lovely pigment, and from pics of the others, they do as well. Im pretty sure he had nice dark pigment when he left here, but Im presuming he hasnt just 'lost' it ??? I would like to keep him to show, and overall he is a better dog than Java, hence the reason Java is now for sale, and Kayo is staying...

Ok so it was more than 2 questions :o...

• Some say that kelp will help with pigment, personally I have not seen it work. As far as breeding, you never know. Since the others in the litter have good dark pigment, if used, I would make sure to use on a dog with good dark pigment with sire and dam and siblings with dark pigment.

As they say, all things being equal, don't throw the baby out with the bath water

• Not a basenji breeder, but some loss of pigment can be medical. We had a Rottie that lost pigment around her eyes first, but eventually it progressed to white patches of hair.
    However, if it is simply pigment loss I am with Pat. I'd take a structurally sound dog with some less than ideal pigment over a lesser dog with great pigment.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2111&aid=425
    Uveodermatologic syndrome:
    Hypersensitivity to melanin (the dark pigment) in the skin and eyes. Pigment loss on nose, lips, and eyelids; occasionally footpads, scrotum, and anus can be affected; rarely see ulcers or drainage; uveitis (inflammation of the eye) may occur.
    Treatment: Long-term prednisone, azathiprine; appropriate eye medications

Vitiligo (Decreased Pigment) :
    Can be hereditary or caused by an autoimmune reaction. Loss of pigment, which may be temporary or permanent; usually on nose, lips, and face Clinical signs, skin biopsy

• Kayo is red, isn't he? Is his nose black or liver-brown?

• Thanks Pat, the saying that has been going around my brain, is exactly the one you said… 'Dont throw the baby out with the bathwater'...

I had forgotten about Kelp, it hasnt worked for me in the past, but Im happy to give it a try :)...

DDS, thanks for the link, off to do some research on this now :)... I actually hadnt even thought about a medical problem :o... Ok so I have done a thorough search of his body... Lacking pigment around eyes, inside of his lips, scrotum and anus lacking pigment, also the coloured bits of his penis are lacking pigment, but, he has a lovely jet-black nose, (not even any winter nose with him either) ??? So I have to do some more research on this, thanks DDS, for alerting me to this... Now more research for me I think...

Yodel Dogs, yes he is a red. All the litter was red...He has a lovely jet black nose ???

• In my own line, my tri-factored reds tend to have darker eye rim and lip pigment than my pure-for-reds do. Perhaps this may be the reason for Kayo's pigment coloration?

• There was someone on the BBR yahoogrouplist that had/has a Basenji with VKH-Vogt?Koyanagi?Harada syndrome also known as uveodermatologic syndrome.

I cannot remember who it was though.

Jennifer

• @dcmclcm4:

There was someone on the BBR yahoogrouplist that had/has a Basenji with VKH-Vogt?Koyanagi?Harada syndrome also known as uveodermatologic syndrome.

I cannot remember who it was though.

Jennifer

You are thinking of Jane's dog that was black/white and turned white on almost her whole body. I really don't think there is a medical concern with Kayo. Some dogs just have lighter pigment than others do.

• Mmmmmm Robyn, I just had a look at my guys pigment, more thoroughly… Both Vanda and Saba are tri factored, and I dont think they are any more darker in pigment than the pure for reds... In fact Ochre, (Kayo's Mum), is the best pigmented of all, and she is pure for red ??? I dont think its a medical problem either, BUT, Im not ruling out that possibility either :)...

dcmclcm4, I did have a look at that Uveodermatologic Info that DDS showed me in her link, but I dont think he has that. Mind you I havent completely ruled it out yet, still need to do a little more study. He will need his Vacc soon, so will be booking him in for this, and if I have any more thoughts/questions on this, I will talk to the Vet about it...

Robyn, all things being equal, would you use this boy in your breeding programme ???

• @saba:

Robyn, all things being equal, would you use this boy in your breeding programme ???

I haven't seen the dog so I have no answer.

• Not Robin, however if over all he is a good, well put together, good temperment dog, with light pigment, I would used the dog provided that you have a bitch that compliments him. Of course would be great to see stacked pictures of him.

Suggested Topics