• Well it is obvious that no rescue group is going to take Sid as everyone has clearly listed. The fact that he has bite me means absolutely nothing to me, it wasn't severe and after it happened I wasn't scared of him nor am I scared of him or what he will do to other people. Regardless of the situation I think it is in Sid's best interest for me to just keep him. It is a headache having to deal with people assuming what is best for him and thinking negatively about any dog who has bitten. Sid is going to be 10, and although I do not think he is happy I guess the life he has with me is going to have to be the best that it gets. I refuse to let him go into a home and risk him being put to sleep if he bites someone. He has shown no aggression for close to 2 years now and I don't see any sort of aggression picking up anytime soon. You are right that if he gets placed he could become very confused and aggressive, so that is something I don't want to risk.

And as far as the vet goes, yes he has done this kind of thing before, he just doesn't believe in putting dogs to sleep because they bite. He thinks there is a remedy for dogs who bite and believes any biting dog can be dealt with. Do I agree with his remedy? To an extent. I am not mad that I ended up with a dog who has bitten because he has never severely hurt me or anyone around me. It is unfortunate that he can't be given a chance in a better home than mine because of that, but thats neither here nor there.

Moral of the story, I am going to keep Sid and probably get another dog once I move home so he isn't so lonely. If I do decide to give him up it will be to someone I know and speak to on a regular basis and they will most definitely know his bite history.

• Thank you for your words of encouragement Patty. I am going to try to make it out on Sunday so Sid can interact with other basenjis. Yea maybe someone will fall in love with him, maybe not. What I can do is continue to give him a good home and love him. He is a good dog and it breaks my heart that anyone would ever put a dog done because they bite them. It's not in me to do that, understandable if it was a child but most certainly not myself. I believe there is a remedy for every situation and euth is not one of them. Wish me luck and hopefully you will be meeting Sid soon. Don't worry he won't bite you :-p

• @basenjilover11:

Thank you for your words of encouragement Patty. I am going to try to make it out on Sunday so Sid can interact with other basenjis. Yea maybe someone will fall in love with him, maybe not. What I can do is continue to give him a good home and love him. He is a good dog and it breaks my heart that anyone would ever put a dog done because they bite them. It's not in me to do that, understandable if it was a child but most certainly not myself. I believe there is a remedy for every situation and euth is not one of them. Wish me luck and hopefully you will be meeting Sid soon. Don't worry he won't bite you :-p

Thank you for your words of encouragement Patty. I am going to try to make it out on Sunday so Sid can interact with other basenjis. Yea maybe someone will fall in love with him, maybe not. What I can do is continue to give him a good home and love him. He is a good dog and it breaks my heart that anyone would ever put a dog done because they bite them. It's not in me to do that, understandable if it was a child but most certainly not myself. I believe there is a remedy for every situation and euth is not one of them. Wish me luck and hopefully you will be meeting Sid soon. Don't worry he won't bite you :-p

• Christy, we were hoping to meet Sid yesterday, we had a fairly small group there, all mellow, I think he would have fit nicely. I understand you are very busy, hopefully you can meet us one week. We are at the DI park almost every evening with our 2, if that is closer to you just let me know we will meet up with you there.

• My heart goes out to you for making the decision to keep Sid. I do believe that living with you will be the best life he will have. Wishing you and Sid lots of good times.

• Christy - i'm relieved and very pleased that you've decided to keep Sid. My best wishes for his and your future.

• @basenjilover11:

Regardless of the situation I think it is in Sid's best interest for me to just keep him.
    It is a headache having to deal with people assuming what is best for him and thinking negatively about any dog who has bitten.

Perhaps a home will come up. I guess this means the people who had his grand dam decided no?

I am sorry that you keep thinking people offering suggestions are headaches "assuming what is best" or that everyone thinks "negatively about any dog who has bitten." Neither is true. Realistic about his chances for a home, realistic about what taking him could do to a rescue and knowledgeable about dogs that bite severely is not the same thing. But bottom line is that it is heartening to know you will keep him safe. Sid lucked out in finding you, even if you weren't looking for him.

• I am assuming the people with his grand dam decided no yes. I never heard back from her, she had to discuss with her husband. She had 3 other basenjis who were 15, so on there last leg, but then again she said that Sid's relative was 18!! That to me tells me that if I am gonna have him for 8 more years I am indeed going to have to get him a friend! Lol. Looks like he comes from a line of very healthy basenjis and at this rate he might even outlive my cat! Set all of that aside, I will always be on the look out until I find him a friend and just keep in mind that he did pick me and there may not be anyone else out there for him. He's had a rough life, in a sense it wouldn't really be fair to just give him up after all the progress he has made. Being on here has made me see the ups and down of my relationship with him and realize that he is probably better off with me.

On my evenings off, which are very few and far between, I am gonna try to swing him over to Davis Island and hopefully make it over every other sunday to West DP. I think it will good for him in interact and just see other basenjis in action. Hopefully he joins in the fun 🙂

• Super news! We are usually at the DI 'wet' park around sunset, just too hot earlier. We have 2 older tris, and on Sunday and monday nights our friend with a B-mix is usually there too. And of course we have Basenji Sundays at West park!

• i do believe i have seen you at DI before. You live right up the road don't you?

• Thanks, Christy…thanks for sticking in there and trying to make it work. I know you want the very best for him. You have lots of people in the Basenji community that are here for you, and will try to help in any way we can.

I really am a believer that things happen for a reason, and maybe the reason that there was such a strange chain of events that lead to now, was because he was meant to be with you. Please keep us updated 🙂 You and Sid will be in my thoughts 🙂

• So the lady from GA called me today but I was not able to speak with her. She left a message inquiring about Sid and wants to talk more about him. I need advice!!! I am torn with what to do now. I think he may have a chance at a good life with older individuals who will shower him with attention but then again I am hesitant that he will not take to anyone else. She is an experienced basenji owner, however she has a husband and I am nervous that Sid will not take to a male. However when he is around males he really acts not differently. I guess now I am torn 😕 HELP

• Christy, I think I would just be really honest with her…tell her everything you have gone thru with him, and why you are considering finding him a new home. I would definitely want him to meet them, in their home, with their dogs. I think you will know if it is going to a better situation than what you have to offer him. If it feels not quite right, you will know that too. If she really is a dog person, she will understand that you ONLY want to rehome him if he is going to be happier in the new situation.

• Thank you Andrea. That is actually a really good idea. Well I already told her most of his history, that he has biten, etc. I guess it does really come down to meeting. I wil further investigate before I make any decisions. It won't be happening to soon because she is in GA which is obviously very far away.

• Sorry you all, but I keep thinking about the STRESS this move will cause this basenji.
    Christy, you might think its a good home, the new owners might think he is the dog, but this boy is going to be uprooted.

• This is exactly what I am afraid of. Right now he is by no means stressed, ever. It took quite some time for him to even adjust with my ex and I, I think my mind may be made up..even if I think there are better homes out there for him. For now, he is in great health, on a routine and even though he might not always be the best companion, I know he is probably as happy as he will ever be right here with me 😕

• Christy, I have done rescue for a 100 yrs. I always tell folks when they have a decision to make, error in favor of the dog. If he is happy now, let him be happy. I admire you for taking this boy in. I have had and loved many biting dogs. BUT I kept them. I knew they were suspose to be with me. I think your getting there with your thinking and I wanted to say, yes, your right. Hugs. my unmet friend.

• Christy,
    I'd like to say I have nothing but admiration for you. Here you are, with a dog you didn't want, but one that fate tossed into your life and you are standing by him and trying to do right by him. Obviously it had not be easy, but I hope you've found some reward in all of this.

• It seems to me that you and Sid are 'meant for each other' - please give the idea of this new home a lot of consideration before making a decision to let him go.

• I also want to say bravo to you Christy. Your actions for this dog show what a good person you are, personally I think he is luck to have you. I think you are right to keep him and find a friend for him, many people will tell you having 2 is so so so much easier than having one. 🙂

Suggested Topics