Basenji, I'm Overwhelmed…..HELP!!!

• The fact that he gets "restless" in the morning after making him hold it all night isn't surprising, he is still really young to be holding it for a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if he has an accident eventually if he has to hold it all night. Maybe with time he will eventually learn if you are persistent and keep offering treats and toys in his crate, or maybe it would just be better for you to do the ex pen/baby gate him into a certain area?

• Arlene and Sharron have some really great advice… would you consider a second dog? I know that sounds like adding fuel to the fire, but since basenjis are very social, sometimes they just need another b....

Keep the faith! Things will work out~ you are a new owner, he's a new pup. As long as you don't give up on him, you'll become family! 🙂
    Patty

• I agree this breed you can not leave in the crate at all times. They will make things harded on you they are very stubborn and do not forget! I am also new ti basenji breed i have had mine for a year she is great but we did a lot of head butting in t beginning. She now understands that I AM the leader. She is crated only when we are not home and I reward her with a long walk when she does get out. I do only crate her for a 4 to 5 hours a day but she can do up to 12 if needed in an emergency. You need to make sure that she respects you and not treats you as her toy. Also do you socialize your pup? Most Pet supply store or training centers offer a doggie social either free or for a fee of 10 dollars if you are crating your dog for 8-10 hours maybe you should consider doggie day care its about 40 bucks a week ( that is in CT

• Quick update for everyone following Buddy's situation…..Im taking him on alot of long walks and lots of play time and he has gotten better.
    He's pretty good at holding his potty over night which is impressive because of his age and the odd night he does need to get out he lets us know and im up and out the door.
    I am having trouble with his crating situation. Against my wishes but for my sanity he is sleeping with us. I was leaving him in the bedroom during the day but he seems to be getting in more trouble by the day. I tried the crate games but it's not working no matter how high my level of patience. I feed him in the crate now too but it doesnt stop him from peeing in it. The only time he does his buisness in the house is in his crate when we are gone. Does this mean the crate is too big??? Is putting him in his crate and leaving a bad idea?? I ask because he knows we are leaving and puts up a fight to either get out of the crate or the bedroom?? will he grow to accept the crate? is this a puppy phase?? I would give him the run of the whole house if he wasnt like this. Please tell me he grows out of this.

Also he's having difficulties with us not being in his sight. I've tried the sneaking out of the room and then letting him know im still here but he cant wait for long periods. Is this a puppy thing aswell, that maybe he will grow out of or something he needs to be taught some other way??

I would like to again thank everybody for their input!! Some ideas have really worked out well, others not so much but maybe i need a different approach because all dogs are different.

• So, why at night is he not with you? Why are you having to sneak out of a room? If you are home, he should be with the family….

• nono he IS with us at night…..the second I get home he's either hanging out with me or hanging out with my Girlfriend or getting walked and playing. I was reading this basenji website and found this Peek-a-boo game for separation anxiety. Not working. http://basenjicompanions.org/tips/fear/peekaboo.html

I just find it hard to do anything around the house because he's always with me but sometimes he's just in my way(if that makes any sense). and if im in another room and he cant see me he starts his whinning routine which is equally annoying than being in my way. Just wondering if B's get a lil more independent and if there's anything I can do to help him with his indepedence?

Another question, does anyone use electric dog fences with their B's? Good or Bad idea?? If Good, then at what age do you start??

• BAD IDEA… IMO... Electric Fences.... period

• I think an electric fence used INSIDE a real fence to stop a climber is often a good option. But as the only fence… no. They learn they can run through it fast... but won't come back in. Other animals can get to them.

• This pup needs to gain confidence and you can do this by signing him up for a gentle basic obedience class.
    You 2 will learn to work together and it will tire him out. I can't tell you how much this will help you with your b…

• Once he has all his shots i will begin the classes.

what about his crating?? he doesnt hate his crate, he'll go in it when the door is open its just when the door is closed and im leaving…crate games didnt really work because he will just stop going in the crate after i close the door once.....even with lots of treats.

• Have you crated him in the same room when you are at home and just walking around and doing normal things for short periods of time? What does he do if he is in a crate and he can see you or if you are nearby and he can hear you but cannot see you?

For example, my dogs are crated in the family room but it is an open area into the kitchen/dining area. I can put a crate where the dog can see me go from the couch to the kitchen area and back again.

Has the breeder given you any suggestions for this problem? Are there any B owners nearby that you can meet and/or when your pup is a little older can play with their dogs? Where in Ontario Cananda are you located at?

Charlie D and I first ever B rescue was a 2 year old female owner turn-in who could not be kept in an electric fence. She kept wanting to chase things and the owners turned up the voltage to a larger dog and supposedly she would get on her hind legs so the shock would not bother her as bad. She turned out to be a great lure courser though. Joee is presently #9 in ASFA all-time for Bs and won BOB as a Veteran at the ASFA II in CA in 1997.

Jennifer

• Try putting a ticking clock in the crate with him, it will sound like his mother's or another dogs hard beat and comforts them. I have a 6 week old basenji cross and this has helped. I also heat up a bean bag which you can make at home by just maybe a pillow like square with beans or rice inside that you can heat in the microwave for about 30 seconds, they like sleeping with something warm. Before you leave during the day, try playing with him and giving him a lot of time to empty his bladder so he doesn't go in the crate. He may not like the crate because dogs don't like going where they sleep. He may just be uncomfortable with the situation. Try leaving lots of fun toys with him… find the ones he likes best. My boy loves this long slinky stuffy like skunk without stuffing and his teething rings. Try and give him more running time so he's worn out while you're gone and at night. Also make sure for now you take away his water before you go for the day... You could also try some dog obedience classes to get you two connected. Hope everything goes a lot better. I've been going crazy about making sure my little boy has the best... don't worry 🙂

• @basilboy7:

Try putting a ticking clock in the crate with him, it will sound like his mother's or another dogs hard beat and comforts them. I have a 6 week old basenji cross and this has helped. I also heat up a bean bag which you can make at home by just maybe a pillow like square with beans or rice inside that you can heat in the microwave for about 30 seconds, they like sleeping with something warm. Before you leave during the day, try playing with him and giving him a lot of time to empty his bladder so he doesn't go in the crate. He may not like the crate because dogs don't like going where they sleep. He may just be uncomfortable with the situation. Try leaving lots of fun toys with him… find the ones he likes best. My boy loves this long slinky stuffy like skunk without stuffing and his teething rings. Try and give him more running time so he's worn out while you're gone and at night. Also make sure for now you take away his water before you go for the day... You could also try some dog obedience classes to get you two connected. Hope everything goes a lot better. I've been going crazy about making sure my little boy has the best... don't worry 🙂

6 or 8wks? If only six weeks, way to young to have left the litter and even at 8wks, a bit young. I don't place my pups until at least 10wks

• You asked about electric fences
    Please keep in mind they are TOTALLY DIFFERENT from an invisible fence
    Debra mentioned an electric fence.
    I have had these attached to my fence for over 15 years and the ONLY time there was an issue was when my crazy 1/2 AFs unplugged it and took off out the yard.
    I run it along the bottom of the fence all the way around, and then back along the top of the fence.
    The dogs learn quick to stay away from the fencing… and also do not dig in the yard [one dig near the fence cures them of that].

Now, an invisible fence… a waste of your money.
    If you want to buy one, just get out some matches and burn your money.
    You will get more pleasure out of that....
    invisible fences do nothing for a bright dog, and allow any animal in the yard to attack/kill your dog.

Hope things are getting better with your pup!

• Kathy, Duh moment. I said electric, meant invisible.

I actually bought an electric fence kit before I got my first basenji to be prepared for having to install it. Was a waste of about $50 bucks as she never tried to climb my 6 ft fence. But I totally agree, you add it to a fence and not many dogs going to crawl over one!

• @tanza:

6 or 8wks? If only six weeks, way to young to have left the litter and even at 8wks, a bit young. I don't place my pups until at least 10wks

Sorry he is 8 weeks… that was just a typo.

• In my experience a Basenji will brave an electric fence or any form of restraining fence if there is prey beyond it. I wonder what voltage fence you're using?

• I have found that hot wires (not invisable fencing) works really well. Like Kathy said, line the top and bottom of the fence will keep most all Basenjis off them…. I always recommend voltage that is typically used for cattle or horses.

• And then you have a Basenji pup like Nickie (short for Necromancer) who was determined to "kill" the wire no matter how much it shocked him (and it was a low level charge believe me). His litter mates would hit the wire around the garden once and then leave the area and not ever attempt to go thru it again. Nickie would attack it once a day. He would do the Basenji bow at it and then the pounce. It was so very funny, he was so special he went to live with my in laws. He never attempted to climb any fence, he just wanted into my flower garden and the fish pond.

• I have found the website http://www.dogstardaily.com/ to be very helpful in all training. The training textbook tab is where you want to go.

Chris Battistelli

Suggested Topics