• We were my vets first bs, and she read tons, called UGA about Arwen's eyes, and has been open to anything I tell them. They now have about 8 others.

• Houston

Poor Oakley..I am so sorry you both had to experience such poor "bedside" manner and lack of expertise..

Give him hugs from Pippin and me.

• And always remember, you are the one with the check book….. your opinion counts.. and if it doesn't and they (the Vets or the Staff) puts on the "We know better then you"... then for sure time for a new Vet...

However, keep in mind, so many times they (the Vets) are caught in situations where the owner clearly didn't care or think it was important enough to go to the Vet or can't tell them much about a situation... Sometimes, they are between a rock and a hard place.

But, certainly not in this case... with Oakley

• @tanza:

My old boy, OJ, hated his first vet. To the point that all I had to do is pull into the parking lot and he would start growling. Once I changed Vets, he never growled again and was also very calm and relaxed at the clinic.

Pat, did you not have him collected? For several visits after my boyz were oh so hopeful whenever we pulled into that parking lot. :p

• @agilebasenji:

Pat, did you not have him collected? For several visits after my boyz were oh so hopeful whenever we pulled into that parking lot. :p

LOL… nope never collected!!!! I never told him, even though he finished his championship, but he was not breeding material!!!

• Thanks everyone…. I have been searching around to find someone I am more comfortable with. I am hopeful that at least for now, he is done with injections as he has had his rabies, distemper and lyme. My concern now is that he turned 5 months yesterday and I forgot to ask the vet when I can start frontline. Often times in New England its a big problem. Over my friends house it is common that when the dogs come in the house there is a tick on them.... and because Oakley is black I panic and preen him all the time when he is over there (not like he doesn't love the attention):rolleyes:

• Houston

Chelsie, you could start him on it at 8 weeks…so he should be ok.

• I don't use topical and we have a ton of ticks here in Maine (although none yet - we are due to get another foot of snow tonight :rolleyes::mad:).

I talked with my vet about it 2 years ago (when I added my brindle girl to the pack) and she said they have quite a few dogs in their practice that have still contracted lyme even though they are on frontline. She said a visual check should still be done with frontline. She knows I hate to vaccinate/medicate unless absolutely necessary so her advice to me was to skip it.

I just do a complete check on each dog before I bring them in the house. I do use organic bug wipes for all the kids for mosquitoes, black flies and deer flies and the container says they work on ticks too - but I've never found that to be the case as I've always found ticks alive and well on my dogs. In the summer, I don't think a day goes by that I don't take at least one deer tick off my dogs.

Oh and regarding a vet - maybe ask your breeder who else they might recommend for a vet (I'm sure they've used multiples) - since they live near you?

I've been super lucky with my vet. I got the recommendation from one of the breeders on here and my vet is super - tons of basenji experience and great at listening to me and not pushing vaccines or anything on my kids. I did take Liyah to one of the other vets in the practice once when she was a baby and that was a bad experience so since then it is marked in my kids charts that they only see my regular vet.

• Oh man, I must live in the best place ever! I live in a little town but within a 15 minute car drive, I have a great vet, a great holistic vet and a great hydrotherapy facility. (which is really nice b/c I've visited all of them this week) As an extra bonus, I have awesome views of Pikes Peak out my front door.

• Yes… Frontline is not a problem, IMO... go ahead and use it....

Suggested Topics