Skip to content

I've Got A Grinder

Basenji Health Issues & Questions
  • With all the wierd sounds our B makes he now has a new one. His puppy teeth are falling out and new ones are growing in. Early one morning I heard him grinding his teeth. He doesn't seem to be in any pain. I checked his gums and everything looks to be fine.
    Now with the old man denture sucking sound he makes I now get some grinding. Music to our ears :rolleyes:

  • Sometimes there's a loose baby tooth in there rattling around and he may be trying to get rid of it.

Suggested Topics

  • 1 Votes
    20 Posts
    8k Views
    ZandeZ
    Because by then they should be hormonally mature even if not fully structurally mature. I don't read much research - I follow experience ! Ideally, not at all, but if they MUST be spayed, then let them grow up first.
  • Mojo's Toes

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    14
    0 Votes
    14 Posts
    8k Views
    PawlaP
    Good news. After finishing a 14 day course of antibiotics, using antifungal/antibacterial wipes, and a switch in food, Mojo's toes are almost back to normal. Fingers (and toes) crossed that whatever he had doesn't come back. (The comment about dogs thinking bitter apple is a great basting sauce was cute. ) [image: 1529958787378-mojo-x27-s-toes-21-jun-2018-sm.jpg]
  • 0 Votes
    8 Posts
    8k Views
    O
    I mix a little pumpkin into my B's food several times a week. Most dogs like it, and it's good for their digestive track. I buy organic when it's available, but you can always find Libby's 100% pure pumpkin (no sugar) and it's often on sale for $1 a can. The OP hasn't returned, so I hope that's a sign that the sick little guy is doing better.
  • 'Chest dropping'

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    15
    0 Votes
    15 Posts
    14k Views
    dmcartyD
    One other note about chest 'dropping' (and why did dog people start using that term - it sort of conjurs up visions of dog parts falling off in the yard) One the the biggest problems in basenjis fronts right now is those that are too narrow and have a concave area between the front legs. I'm NOT advocating a front like a bull terrier but there needs to be some 'fill' there to have a good front but it's not the fill it is the actual structure of the bones in the shoulder and upper arm that - if not correct- actally pull the 'front' too far forward. A quick visual scan from the side - if the deepest part of the brisket is well behind the legs - the front is too far forward. We need to pay attention to the actual shoulder structure to make sure we are not continuing to double up on dogs with a short upper arm. That limits front reach, and creates a not efficient side gait. So go catch your dogs and do a quick check - measure from the top of the wither to the point of shoulder (the most prominant bone in the chest.) then from that point to the point of the elbow. They should be the same. if they are not - stand up your dog and put your hand between the front legs - if you hand is IN FRONT OF THE FRONT LEGS - great - if your hand is between the front legs the front on your dog is too far foward. More than you ever wanted to know probably - LOL
  • Puppy's Parents

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    6k Views
    S
    Good job for doing your homework before you bought and fell in love with a basenji companion
  • I have no idea what's wrong

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    12
    0 Votes
    12 Posts
    6k Views
    renaultf1R
    @BDawg: throws up from butt-juice drinking I didn't need to read that while having my first coffee of the morning…yuck! :D :D :D