• What a strikingly handsome basenji he is!

• Probable carriers not bad.. It means definitely not affected no???

• Sadly, we have a probable carrier on the board that just developed Fanconi. The test is not foolproof. This is a pretty good page for explanation, although now cheek swabs not blood is used:
    http://www.akcchf.org/canine-health/genetic-tests/spotlight-on-genetic-tests/fanconi-syndrome.html

The linked marker test is based on DNA sequences at three sites known to reside in a chromosomal region very near the as yet undiscovered mutation responsible for Fanconi syndrome. Certain sequences at these three sites are very common in mutant chromosomes but relatively rare in normal chromosomes. The pattern of sequences at these three sites is used to classify the tested dog as a ?probable normal? with two normal chromosomes (one from the sire and one from the dam), a ?probable carrier? with one normal chromosome and one mutant chromosome, and a ?probable affected? with two mutant chromosomes. Based on preliminary experiments we expect DNA from approximately 10% of the Basenjis to produce a pattern that is in between that expected from normal dogs and that expected from carriers. In this case the reported result will be ?indecisive.?

• Squiggy is a good looking Basenji, congratulations

• Well I understand,… the test is not fullproof, but the same could be said for probably clear.. I think its still good news that he is not probably affected. I am actually looking forward to a probable carrier result instead of probably affected when test Ayo...because he is from affected X Clear parents....

• @dmey:

Well I understand,… the test is not fullproof, but the same could be said for probably clear.. I think its still good news that he is not probably affected. I am actually looking forward to a probable carrier result instead of probably affected when test Ayo...because he is from affected X Clear parents....

The test is a "linkage test" it is NOT a direct gene test. So therefore it can be incorrect. As can errors made by "humans" …...

• Exactly,.. but what I mean is, that said, probable carrier, is still a " good " result. I mean it is more positive than negative. YOu know that there is a very, very good chance, although not 100% but very good that he will never be affected,… and that is a good thing!
    So.. congratulations, I would be sorry if it came back probably affected!!

• Shaye's Mom

If the dog was microchipped, you may be able to get the breeder and/or dealer/broker information from the chip manufacturer. Some dealers/brokers require their petstore bound pup to be microchipped.

Jennifer

• Jennifer- I got your email. My info on Squiggy is at work, so I will get it to you tomorrow. He was born (I think) in 2002.

Thank you everyone, I know he isnt a traditional color. But, man, do I love him and his whole look:) When I was looking with BRAT he came up available. His story won me over. He went from a very nervous, flinchy, non-social boy who would pace circles if anyone came over to a shy and sweet loverboy that warms up quick to strangers.

I know his outcome doesnt guarantee he will never get fanconi, but I can rest a bit easier and know his chances are slim. I will keep strip testing him.

• If anyone can find this info, its Jennifer. She is a wonder at this type of thing.

Suggested Topics