• Henna420 - I am so, so sorry. I so wished you would get different news. My heart hurts for you. Will keep you and Rosie in my prayers. Sending you both hugs.

• I am so very sorry. 😞 ((Hugs and love)) I wish we could do more than simply let you know we have all been there and understand.

• My boy Arnie who is 10 years old has a cough but I rarely hear it and it is mostly at night when laying down. The x-ray was abnormal. He was put on antibiotics for 14 days and the second x-ray showed a little improvement after 6 days. He had a coughing episode-4-6 coughs on Tuesday and he is scheduled for another vet appt. on Friday which will after 10 days of antibiotics. Dr. Tracy did mention cancer at the first x-ray.

He has had some strange blood results last year and the feeling was that he had an autoimmune problem. He was on Prednisone last year for a number of months and I weaned him off of it because I did not see any improvement. He may also have Cushings as his Urine Cortisol/Creatine test indicated it. I am waiting for the lung problem to be cleared up before he goes for the Low Dose Dex Suppression Test to verify the Cushings.

For those whose dogs had lung cancer and/or cough, what is the next step? I am concerned that the x-ray on Friday will not show any improvement.

Jennifer

• Sorry, its been a while since i last visited. Its been a very tough experience loosing our boy. For those who don't know…

We had a 10yr old wonderful and handsome M Basenji named Rosie'. During the course of last year we noticed that he loved chewing on grass. And he would come in and try to cough and clear his throat. We checked with the Vet and he said that some dogs are like that. So, everything was normal.

On Jan 26th, my wife and i went on 10 days vacation. A few days after we came back noticed he was coughing more and more. Took him to the Vet and he told us Rosie's lungs and heart sounded good but monitor his coughing. I posted this and some friends here asked not to ignore it and get xray done. I took Rosie back 2 days later and asked for the xray and blood test. Both came back abnormal. The vet right away arranged for ultra sound. Ultra sound showed that Rosie had lung cancer and it has spread all over. The Dr, who did the ultra sound, was shocked cause Rosie showed no signs (physically) of being a sick. He looked healthy as ever. Whats next i asked the Dr? He re-did the ultra sound in front of me so i could see how bad of shape he was in. Thank God he did that because i wouldn't have believed when he told me that Rosie won't last more than a week.
    A day after Rosie's cough got really bad. By now, he knew that his cough gets worse when there is pressure on his lungs. So, he refused to sit or lay down. The next two days were the toughest. The only way he got some rest or sleep is when my wife and i took turns holding him in our arms.
    I had kept asking the vet when and how will we know when its time. Because we didn't want him to suffer and didn't want to be selfish either. If any one has been through that knows its tough. The vet kept telling me that we will know. He will tell us.
    Sunday night Rosie was standing infront of us and looked at us in a way he had never done. We knew....I took him in the next day and held him in my arms as he went to a long peaceful sleep.
    We asked for Rosie to be cremated. Our focus now became to make sure our F Basenji Henna is taken care of. She was fine for the first two days. I took her with me when i went to pick up Rosie's ashes. Henna changed as soon as i brought the ashes back in the car. The very active and excited Henna drove home quite. We had the ashes home for the next two days and Henna stayed the same. Missed her meal the first day. Her was no longer curved. She stayed in her crate. Now we were worried about her. According to our religion we are to spread ashes in a flowing river but Rosie was terrified of water. So, we decided to spread his ashes in our backyard, and trails where he loved going for walks. We took Henna with us as we did this. She has been much better since we came back home that day. I think she does miss him as we do. It will be a long time before our lives go back to normal again But he will never be forgotten.

• Sorry to hear of you loss… it is never easy, but he is now running free over the Rainbow Bridge, happy and without pain. Remember as someone told me, their soul will live in your heart forever.

• When I read your post my heart broke. I am certain Rosey is a dog that belonged to our good friend Mary Ann Palm. David Davidson in BC took Rosey when we rehomed all Mary Ann's dogs when she died of cancer herself. Rosey was named after Mary Ann's son who is an air force pilot and Rosey was his flight nick name. His registered name was Palm Desert's Prowler for the type of plane her son flew.
    If this boy is from David Davidson please know he came from a wonderful place and I am sure Mary Ann is looking out for him until you meet him again.
    We are so sorry for your loss of such a sweet boy.
    Therese and Kevin Leimback
    FoPaw's Basenjis
    www.fopawsbasenjipuppies.com

• I am so sorry. 😞 The love you gave your beloved basenji certainly gave him a wonderful life. The pain is interest we pay on that love. I'd rather hurt when I lose them than not love them, but it never gets easier, does it?

• I am so sorry that you have lost Rosie so quickly. I am sure that he knew how much he was loved, and that you were with him until the end. He'll be at the Bridge waiting for you…

• Once again, I thank you all for your support during the tough times.

• Henna420, I am so sorry for your sudden loss of Rosie. He was a lucky dog to have you to hold him and comfort him right till the end. Hugs to you all.

Suggested Topics