Summary: the first two days with Oakley

• So, it has been wonderful having Oakley home…I appreciate any and all advice:

Some of the good things:
    -he learned to sit today using clicker training and is pretty much hitting the mark 100%
    -started on the down command...we're working on it
    -he is pooping in his litter box everytime but once, and that was my fault

• I have to honestly say the first night wasn't as bad as it could have been

Now,

-He can't stand to be crated or in a seperate room from me, he starts squeling like a pig

• So far, he will only nap on me or DIRECTLY next to me
    • he will start to cry/whine whenever I am not doing what he wants me to...i.e. pay him attention

Also, am I supposed to give him unlimited access to water? I take it away with his food but I notice he goes to the crate and whines and its for water??
    -We were playing and he got a little rough...then started trying to hump me-->normal or dominance?

Any advice or suggestions are welcome.....on any topic about clicker training to what commands tend to work better and which order to do them in...to eating to crating.....

Thanks

-more pics soon

• I would crate him in the room with you. Remember, this may be the first time in his life he has been 'alone', put his crate in our bedroom at night, then he will be close, but in the crate. He wants to be close and snuggle, that's a good thing!
    I believe in full access to water all the time for any pet, especially a puppy.
    And he is playing with you like you are a sibling…rough! whimper and stop playing.

• Is there anyway he can sleep with you.
    That way, you will know when he moves to go out and you
    can bond with him more quickly.

• I don't know what age your new dog is but I found this website that explains the developmental stages that might help you out a bit: http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/DevelopmentalStages.html

• Here's my advice based on what I've read here and based on my experience with Paco while he was a puppy:

@Chealsie508:

-He can't stand to be crated or in a seperate room from me, he starts squeling like a pig

• So far, he will only nap on me or DIRECTLY next to me

Crating in your room may or may not help; we had to just let Paco squeal. If you rush to him whenever he makes noise he'll never learn how to be alone - and you can't always be with him! Once you are sure that he is potty trained I'd say consider letting him sleep in the bed with you - that's what I did, anyway.

@Chealsie508:

• he will start to cry/whine whenever I am not doing what he wants me to…i.e. pay him attention

Don't always give in. If you're busy, you're busy, and he needs to learn to entertain himself sometimes. If you can't be watching him to ensure he's not getting into trouble, crate him.

@Chealsie508:

Also, am I supposed to give him unlimited access to water? I take it away with his food but I notice he goes to the crate and whines and its for water??

Always have the water available to him, and empty and clean the bowl and put fresh water in it at least daily.

@Chealsie508:

-We were playing and he got a little rough…then started trying to hump me-->normal or dominance?

I think it's normal, but you don't want him to think it's ok to do, so I think you should gently discourage it by pushing him away and stopping play immediately.

• Again, I am going to suggest that you talk to the breeder for ideas/solutions.

The humping during play is because he is getting over stimulated with the rouge play… play needs to stop when humping starts.....

I have always found that crating at night in the same room as where you sleep is the best choice. That way he knows where you are and also you hear him when he needs to potty.

• Today went good, he cried and cried and made a mess in his crate while on the way to meet Ralph, my dads australian shepard…surprisingly he was low growling at him and Ralph is scared of everything so that kept him away. By the end of the visit Oakley looked to be a little more interested in him. He was fine with Charlie the beagle. That surprised me because Charlie is the old man of the house and doesn't like puppies but seemed fine. Great news is the weather was better today and we went for our first walk...he walks very well on the leash and we had a great walk. He was insulted I made him walk across a puddle to get into the car (true basenji!) We need a bath because we smell bad after the crate mess but right now he is sleeping like a baby...we have made progress on potty training. Today he will get his nails and teeth done and we might do some crate training. I think I will try setting it up in the living room so its in the room with me and see how he does..this way it doesn't seem like I am just sticking him in it at night. Overall, a good day.

• re crating and cars..my b's get so excited when they go in the car, often they need to go potty shortly after we start on a trip.
    So, we drive about a mile, then take them out and walk then…they always "go" and then we have no messes in the car for the rest of the trip.
    Don't know if it would work for you, but it does for us.

• Iwill try that!…it makes sense and I think it will work.Thanks!

• Good luck with the teeth…. I try to brush Ayos very once in a awhile but I don't think I have ever been able to actually clean them. And the ones in the back forget it. I keep trying though but he will not stop chewing the brush!!! I think I will have to take him to get them cleaned at the vet, even though I really don't want them to give him a sedative, I am worried about his teeth! .. Hope you have better luck!! Or a good tecnique!

Suggested Topics