Skip to content

How many basenjis can you spot?

Show Off Your Dog

Suggested Topics

  • Marvin... Basenji?

    Show Off Your Dog
    23
    3 Votes
    23 Posts
    9k Views
    eeeefarmE
    So many times people post pictures and ask what folks on the forum think about their dogs. Often, the most convincing in appearance turn out disappointingly to not have any Basenji blood. When you think about it, there are not likely all that many crossbreds out there. Most people with an intact Basenji bitch are not looking to cover her with anything but a purebred male, and in North America generally females are spayed because most breeders require it for pet puppies. Bitches that are showing are even less likely to be bred to something outside the breed.
  • Boarding basenji

    Show Off Your Dog
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    3k Views
    PawlaP
    Where did Nala come from? Can she stay there while you're out of town? I did not have a good experience with Rover.com. Don't do it. Can you find and make friends with another basenji owner in your area where you can take turns pet sitting? Maybe you can find local basenji owners on Meetup or Facebook? My heart would break to leave her at a boarding facility or a vet although she'd probably be fine. I like the idea of a pet sitter staying at your home ONLY IF you can really train the pet sitter on several visits before leaving in August (not far away!!!)
  • Am I Basenji?

    Show Off Your Dog
    20
    2 Votes
    20 Posts
    25k Views
    elbrantE
    @creambasenji Please start a new topic/thread in Member Introductions when you upload an image of your "cream" basenji. That way, more people will see it. (thanks!)
  • 1 Votes
    11 Posts
    8k Views
    T
    Hi everyone, Thanks for all of your replies! Rex just had his first vet visit (first with me at least), and he was given a clean bill of health. The vet that I saw also agrees with a lot of you that he looks like a Min Pin more than a Basenji, but he is likely still mixed with something because he's a bit too big to be a pure Min Pin. I've looked at a few DNA Dog Breed tests online, and they seem to range in price and in quality. It seems like some of the cheaper (~$50) tests are fake, but they go all the way up to almost $250 for the higher quality ones. Do any of you have experience with these DNA tests / have a brand you found reputable? I'll be sure to post the results of any of the tests with this forum! Thanks again, and Rex is doing really great in his new home!! [image: 1559586518913-img_3707-resized.jpg] [image: 1559586546977-img_3720-resized.jpg] [image: 1559586568474-img_3708-resized.jpg]
  • Basenji?

    Show Off Your Dog
    12
    0 Votes
    12 Posts
    8k Views
    P
    I agree with the others that although he seems to have Basenji in him - his head is def. not Basenji. As for the leg I'd have it amputated if it troubles him - He'll cope with 3 legs I'm sure, but certainly consult a specialist first. Please keep us updated.
  • Is this my spot?

    Show Off Your Dog
    15
    0 Votes
    15 Posts
    7k Views
    L
    Oh Gosh yea. I have one outside on the porch because when charlie was younger he would try to climb up on it. He was never bad like Zaire is at the dinning room table so I haven't switched over inside, but the cafe style deck table totaly keeps Charlie and Zaire from even getting onto the chairs. I LOVE IT!!!!!!