Skip to content

Looks like my house

Basenji Talk

Suggested Topics

  • 2 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    L
    @debradownsouth Oh yes, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks debradownsouth.
  • Looking for a leash

    Basenji Talk
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    3k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Alex, what is the material? Those look cotton, not nylon but helps to know which. This person on Etsy has a lot of variety https://www.etsy.com/listing/108893703/paracord-leash this round one looks similar: https://www.etsy.com/listing/167269676/4-strand-round-braid-paracord-leash?ref=related-3 These fleece ones look interesting.. you can totally design your own from colors to snaps! https://www.etsy.com/listing/172328771/custom-order-fleece-braided-design-a?ref=shop_home_feat_1 I had braided cord for my horses, not dogs so no personal experience. Hopefully someone else here does.
  • My house is too quiet

    Basenji Talk
    19
    0 Votes
    19 Posts
    11k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    I agree, bribing is good. Over the years I have developed a personal relationship with my vets and their staff. Office manager is on my facebook (rare if you know me because I have under 90 friends … mostly family, close friends and their kids and friends of my daughter. I keep it limited to provide those kids the most protection and to keep it personal). I never worry about the care my dogs get anyway, but I know the gifts I bring at Christmas to the staff and occasional treats lets them know they are appreciated.
  • It is all in the look …

    Basenji Talk
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    5k Views
    AndrewA
    I think it is a built in survival trait; however, I would like to take it one step further & say that they LEARN over time that this look keeps them out of trouble. Mine have perfected "the look" and use it on unsuspecting guests for attention. Callie, in particular, has the most woebegone expression, and she uses it on those she can tell are suckers. A friend recently stayed with me for the weekend. All weekend, she was saying "Oh poor Callie! Look at her face." I kept insisting to her that Callie was playing her for a sucker, and she was feeding into it. She was convinced Callie was sad or upset. While we were watching a movie, Callie fell asleep on top of my friend on the couch. Movie over, I headed off to bed & she said she was also going to be going to bed soon. The next morning I found my friend on the couch with BOTH basenjis on top of her. Once Callie settled in, she felt like it would be mean to wake her up, so she slept on the couch all night so as not to disturb Callie. I think it is instinctual/survival, but I think they learn to work it to their advantage for sure!
  • Looking at a Basenjis puppy

    Basenji Talk
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    5k Views
    agilebasenjiA
    I think invis fencing is a bad idea for any dog. I've heard the Blaze story about an Aussie too. And in this day and age, with this economy, I've heard stories about people stealing dogs for ransom or worse things.
  • Look at the cute puppies!

    Basenji Talk
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    JannekeJ
    Very cute! :)