Wondering if they're really basenji mix..

• @gbroxon:

My Magnum will bark when amazingly startled. One bark. In the 6 years he's been with us, we've heard it about a half dozen times…startled us more than him. I don't think he likes to (maybe it hurts?)...maybe he feels it's unseemly :D, but he can and will bark if he feels the need. I am completely sure he's purely bred.

I need to do some research on the differently-shaped voice box. I've only heard tell of it, haven't seen the physicality of their voice box as compared to other breeds.

One of the reference books has a diagram…but I can't remember which one. Quite a few of mine have done a alarm bark. And I have definitely heard of (and experienced) a basenji that lives with barking dogs is more likely to "boof...boof.....boof"

• Antialoops - like Andrea I was only passing on information - it was a good question. I hope I didn't sound corrective - I certainly didn't mean to!

It is an interesting debate and there is quite a lot written about the Basenji that isn't entirely accurate. Feeling about Basenjis and their origins as I do I'm always interested in other's opinions and thoughts. My apologies if I sounded otherwise

Keep posting. It's interesting to hear and see the pictures of your dogs and their characteristics.

• Thanks for all the info! I'm positive Nala is pure bred. No papers and she is my favorite breed (rescued, that is). Her physical appearance - 16" x 16", 22.4lbs., wrinked little forehead, tri color, & her distinct noises… no mistaking that! I thought I posted her picture... I'm actually her third person... She was in the pound here twice! The first family that adopted her gave her away & she ran away from those people as well. he was definitely a handful when I got her but she & I have an understanding now. LOL I wouldn't have her any other way! Understand, it doesn't matter to me if she's "pure" or not. I love her & she accepts me. I could go on for hours... 🙂 To "Quercus": Sorry, I must remember not to read "attitude" into a typed message. I guess I was facing a difficult day... So sorry, thanks for replying! 🙂

• @Patty:

Antialoops - like Andrea I was only passing on information - it was a good question. I hope I didn't sound corrective - I certainly didn't mean to!

It is an interesting debate and there is quite a lot written about the Basenji that isn't entirely accurate. Feeling about Basenjis and their origins as I do I'm always interested in other's opinions and thoughts. My apologies if I sounded otherwise

Keep posting. It's interesting to hear and see the pictures of your dogs and their characteristics.

I do have a small pic of her with her big brother Moose. Hope ou can see it clearly. There's no mistaking she's a Basenji. I've wanted a Basenji sinceI was about 12! I got her 2 yars ago, some 48 years later & she is everything & more than I hoped for!

• The picture was missing! Hope you manage to post it again, I'm very interested.

You've certainly held on to your childhood dream! I'm really happy for you.

• I keep getting an error message but I'll try again! Thanks for asking! I do love talking about them & showing them off! I'll try to start an album…

• Maybe this will work

attachment_p_125826_0_100_1530.jpg
    attachment_p_125826_1_101_0456.jpg
    attachment_p_125826_2_101_0463.jpg

• Hope you can see 'em 🙂

attachment_p_125827_0_101_0480_3.jpg
    attachment_p_125827_1_100_1538.jpg
    attachment_p_125827_2_101_0459_2.jpg

• She is beautiful! And the others too!

• Maxx could also make a "boof." He rarely did it, and when he did, it was usually because people were standing around talking among themselves and not paying any attention to him! It was simply his way of saying, "Hey, did you forget about the Basenji down here?"

• Thanks for admiring my dogs! The Lab mix & Dalmation mix have crossed to the Rainbow Bridge to wait for me. Moose & Nala are the only 2 I have left now. They are an AWESOME duo! Nobody messes with Nala that doesn't answer to "the Moose" LOL They told me when I adopted her that her best friend was a pit bull. I think she sucks up to the "muscle" She is certainly not stupid! Very opportunistic as well!

• @DebraDownSouth:

That said, Cara boofs a lot. A whole lot. She likes to boof. Boof…............... boof......... boof. It is almost like she is trying to teach the neighbors barking dogs that they do it WRONG with that woofwoofwoof nonsense. 🙂

Debra, this is SO funny… it's kind of like me calling you Debbie and you thinking... No way, Patricia! 🙂 :rolleyes: :p 🙂

I think your next career should start as a basenji paw reader, lol... you know, like a palm reader? Because whenever my first girl, Lucy, said Woof!... she looked as startled as we were! 🙂 😃 🙂

• @antalioops:

Okay, I didn't mean to offend anyone. Nala has let out a "bark like" noise once or twice. 1 noise. Not a woofwoofwoof… I don't think she spelled it with a "w" or a "b". I read the selective breeding thing somewhere on the internet. I'm sure we here in the USA are not the only ones to breed for certain characteristics. I'm also pretty sure it wasn't just for the noises. Unlike hunting here with Braking & baying dogs, the game there is quite different. I just wanted to share something I read. Didn't intend to start a debate or argument. I'm a little sorry I shared at all

Hey there, first off, Welcome to the forum! Don't be sorry you shared…. for like you said, po-tay-to, po-tah-to... your Nala is absolutely adorable! And in my opinion, basenjis will tease us with their capability to "roo", as many here call it! My Sophie will only Roo when SHE feels like it, and then, she will be telling the story of her day... versus my Lola, who I think can Roo, but has decided not to share... yet... 🙂 😃

Anyway, Welcome! 🙂 My sister lives in Milwaukee with two basenjis, so if you ever want more playmates for Nala....

Suggested Topics