• Hi to all, sorry for my english (if I make mistakes please tell me). I'm Italian.
    Me and my family have a Basenji named Luna (the old name of the moon), we are worried for her becouse she drink too much water and we hope that is'nt the Fancony syndrome. I hope to find more information about the threatment.
    Ty

• hello Ty, welcome to the forum.

How old is Luna? I would start with a visit to a vet. The excessive drinking could be a sign of diabetes, however, it's best not to guess. Please take her to see a vet. Do you know who Luna's parents are, and were they tested for Fanconi?

• Please go to www.basenji.org and look for the information about Fanconi. You will need to print out the protocol and take to your Vet.

Have you tested her urine to see if she is spilling sugar? There is also information on the US parent website about test with test strips that you should be able to purchase at a Pharmacy.

• Welcome, we would love to learn more about you and your b. Where did you get your basenji from?

• Thank You Kipawa & Tanza. Luna is four years old. We make the strip and we have seen that was positive for sugar in the urine, than we went to the Vet and he made the blood analisis and urine. We attempt the final response but for five times one was positive for the sugar and four not. In Italy there is'nt the test of Fanconi, and we asked for our Vet to sell one. We don't know if the familiy of Luna are interested in Fanconi disease, we will try to conctact the owners. Now we have print the protocol and we will show to our Vet.
    Thank You.
    Michele Penco

• Hi Sharronhurlbut,
    We bought Luna from a private owner and she has a legal pedigree in the Italian Instituction "Anagrafe Canina". She is our first dog and we have two cats Pippolo and Stella. She is a little bit lucky to live near the country and not in a center of a city. Me, my wife and aou sons love very much her and we are very upset for this problem for two reason, In Italy there are few Basenji and this desease is not well know.
    Michele

• Michele, as your b is spilling sugar, and she is only 4 yr old, then you have found this early.
    There are suppliments you can give your dog to help her live a long life.
    We are all here to help you.

• @Rogluk:

Thank You Kipawa & Tanza. Luna is four years old. We make the strip and we have seen that was positive for sugar in the urine, than we went to the Vet and he made the blood analisis and urine. We attempt the final response but for five times one was positive for the sugar and four not. In Italy there is'nt the test of Fanconi, and we asked for our Vet to sell one. We don't know if the familiy of Luna are interested in Fanconi disease, we will try to conctact the owners. Now we have print the protocol and we will show to our Vet.
    Thank You.
    Michele Penco

Usually when they first start spilling sugar with the beginning of Fanconi, you will get day that the strips will not turn. The thing to do now is to have Blood Gases done to determine what supplements she needs to be on. This is of course provided that when your Vet did the blood tests there was not sugar in the blood because that would be most likely mean she was diabetic instead of Fanconi.

There is a DNA test for Fanconi, you can read about it at www.basenjihealth.org It is a mouth swab kit that you do yourself. You also order it yourself, not from your Vet.

And if your Vet or yourself has questions about Fanconi or treatment, Dr. Gonto, who developed the protocol is happy to talk to either your Vet or you anytime, regardless of where you live.

Also it is important that the breeder knows so that they do not breed more Basenjis that could get Fanconi. The breeder should test his/her Basenjis before breeding.

• Welcome to the forum from the uK.

I do hope that this turns out not to be Fanconi but at least now you've joined the forum you're getting excellent advice.

Some vets in the Uk are not very informed about Fanconi but they soon learn from their Basenji-owning clients and can find the information on treatment etc.

• here is a direct link where you can order the dna test yourself. i need to order mine as well! https://secure.offa.org/cart.html - it is the second test and costs $65 US - not sure about the international shipping.

• @tlish:

here is a direct link where you can order the dna test yourself. i need to order mine as well! https://secure.offa.org/cart.html - it is the second test and costs $65 US - not sure about the international shipping.

It is good to enter your Basenji with the CPP site (it is free) with sire and dam information if you have it.

Of course if this Basenji is already spilling sugar, immediate course of action would be the Blood Gases and getting her started on the Protocol

• Welcome to the forum Ty and Luna.
    There is nothing i can add that hasn't already been said but you have certaily come to the right place for help, information and friendship.
    It would be lovely to see a pic of Luna and your two cats.
    Hope you get Luna sorted out quickly.

Suggested Topics