• Rev is a 4 year old, Fixed, 22lb, BEAUTIFUL, pure bred Basenji with papers. [barkless dog]
    I've just recently moved back home with my mother and sister so space has become very limited; where Rev is used to playing outside in my old fenced in yard everyday, He has become sort of neglected since my work schedule has finally picked up. Supporting him is no problem as he is UTD with all his shots and vet checks.
    He would be better off with ONLY FEMALES in the house hold since he was abused as a puppy and does NOT take to men easily.
    He loves playing with other dogs his size and adores my baby bunny.
    He is okay with older kids also.
    He absolutly LOVES riding in the car
    Kenneling him for a long period of time, is NOT an option, trust me. So someone that is always home is preferred.
    Someone with excellent knowledge of this breed is a must, so you know what to expect.

I am asking a fee, basically to just cover the vet costs over the last couple years. He has EVERYTHING included. Kennel[he hates] most of his 30.1 lb bag of purina beneful he loves, leash collar, toys bones, treats, bowls, PAPERS.

A visit to the possible new parents of my baby boy will be a must. I'd hate to see him go to anyone that does not deserve this stud 🙂

Your name: Katie
    Your city, state: Manchester, NH
    Your phone numbers/email: ksarette603@yahoo.com
    Basenji(s) For Sale: 1
    Age of Basenji(s): 4
    Current weight of Basenji(s) for sale: 22lbs
    Weight of Basenji(s) parents: Same
    Parents health tests: None known
    Registration if any (AKC, Basenji Clubs, etc): AKC registered with Champion line Litter Certificate.
    Price: b/o
    Age when puppies will be ready to be taken home: no puppy. anytime.
    Do you ship your Basenjis: No

• Have you spoken with his breeder? Most responsible breeders have contracts that require that if a pup needs to be given up, they go back to the breeder.

Also, has he been DNA tested for Fanconi?

• @ksarette603:

Rev is a 4 year old, Fixed, 22lb, BEAUTIFUL, pure bred Basenji with papers.
    adores my baby bunny.
    I am asking a fee, basically to just cover the vet costs over the last couple years.
    I'd hate to see him go to anyone that does not deserve this stud :)**
    Parents health tests: None known
    Price: $ 600

You have a 4 yr old neutered (heads up NOT A STUD) male, no health testing on parents, his papers mean diddly squat since he is a pet, and you want about $200 bucks less for this PET as someone can get for a well bred, health tested puppy? Okay then.

Let me give you a few suggestions.
    1. If you can, keep this dog and find time to run him early in morning and night. He'll enjoy your exercising him more than he ever did playing in a yard alone.
    2. If you cannot keep him, the contact either the BREEDER (unless that his who abused him?) or place him with BRAT and let them find him a wonderful home.

You aren't likely going to recoup $600 vet bills. That is just part of having a pet. Most rescues have wonderful Basenjis, equally up to date on shots and neutered, for half of that or less.

I applaud that you want a good home for him, btw. It is obvious you want what is best, but the price just floored me.

• @tanza:

Have you spoken with his breeder? Most responsible breeders have contracts that require that if a pup needs to be given up, they go back to the breeder.

Also, has he been DNA tested for Fanconi?

His original Breeder is now MIA. No one can seem to find her which really concerns me. And the lady that originally took him as a puppy said he was VERY head shy and you could see every rib in his body which when I took him in, was still aparent.

He has been DNA tested and he is Negative for Fanconi.

• @DebraDownSouth:

You have a 4 yr old neutered (heads up NOT A STUD) male, no health testing on parents, his papers mean diddly squat since he is a pet, and you want about $200 bucks less for this PET as someone can get for a well bred, health tested puppy? Okay then.

Let me give you a few suggestions.
    1. If you can, keep this dog and find time to run him early in morning and night. He'll enjoy your exercising him more than he ever did playing in a yard alone.
    2. If you cannot keep him, the contact either the BREEDER (unless that his who abused him?) or place him with BRAT and let them find him a wonderful home.

You aren't likely going to recoup $600 vet bills. That is just part of having a pet. Most rescues have wonderful Basenjis, equally up to date on shots and neutered, for half of that or less.

I applaud that you want a good home for him, btw. It is obvious you want what is best, but the price just floored me.

First of all,
    Your tone and rudeness is so uncalled for and honestly a short "you may want to change your asking price" would safice.

Second of all, I've been waiting on BRAT for a week now.

So anyway, thanks for the advice even if you did come off a little um, abrupt.

• Hi Katie….
    I may be the person that directed you to this forum via CL? First off, WELCOME to the basenji forums. I don't think Debbie meant to come off as abrupt, but it's probably the asking price of $600 that sparked her energy. Please recognize that some people read "RARE AFRICAN BARKLESS DOG" and think they can "invest" in the dog and get a great return... and then once they live with the dog, they are caught between getting rid of their investment and trying to recoup their costs. I don't think that's what happened with you, but it does happen in the basenji world.

You have an endearing dog, from what I've read and from your pictures on Craigs List. I think it must be hard for you to look for a new home for Rev, because you want him to be taken care of (as if he is your own child). I recently fostered a 4 year old girl for a month, knowing that she was going to be placed with my sister, and I was still leary of placing her with my OWN sister! The funny thing is that my sister actually fostered my Lola for a week before she came to me, and she felt that same way about Lola. :)So, I understand asking a price of $600, thinking that only someone who truly loves Rev will take him.

In my mind, you have either priced him to the point of "thanks, but no thanks", so that you can tell yourself that you tried to get rid of him, but no one wants him, therefore you get to keep him (HURRAY! :)), or you haven't researched rehoming fees. Either way is fine with me! I would have a hard time finding a new home for my dogs, too.

Anyway, I apologize for all of us if the tone came out "wrong". We all love our basenjis, and how much we devote our lives to this crazy breed. We all want whats right for Rev, even if we say it wrong. 🙂

Can you please share your pictures of Rev with everyone on this forum? Please believe that we will help you find him a new home, if that's what is truly best for him. (On the other hand, if you want advice on how to keep him in your home, we have lots of ideas.)

Patty

• Katie, I apologize for being snarky. It wasn't so much the price but the wish to recoup your vet bills that actually set me off… your vet bills are part of ownership, not an investment you get refunded. And I did try to acknowledge you clearly want a good home.

I am unsure why BRAT hasn't contacted you, but will give a heads up to them right now.

• If you share the breeders name, I will try to see what I can find out about her.
    if the dog was in such poor condition when you got him, its probably good he not go back to her

• @ksarette603:

He would be better off with ONLY FEMALES in the house hold since he was abused as a puppy and does NOT take to men easily. …

His original Breeder is now MIA. No one can seem to find her which really concerns me. And the lady that originally took him as a puppy said he was VERY head shy and you could see every rib in his body which when I took him in, was still aparent.

He has been DNA tested and he is Negative for Fanconi.

I am concerned about who you think abused him… the person you got him from? Since most puppies placed very young, I find it unlikely the breeder abused him, although that is what it seems like... Whenever there are accusations of abuse, it really helps to clarify because I see from Sharon's post I am not the only one who wondered if you think the breeder did.

Further, just for future info. Head shy issues should always be worked on. Hopefully whoever gets him will work on eye contact, treats and retraining the dog that hands approaching the head is GOOD. Also, not liking men can come from not being around men. Taking him to a park and passing out treats to men to come by and give him (easier if you have an assistant go around and ask guys!) really does help resolve that also.

• DebraDownSouth is right.
    Having this b learn that hands will ONLY bring good things does involve other folks.
    I have a foster home who lives in Seattle. When she gets a shy dog, she walks him/her
    around the area, giving treats to strangers who are kind enough to take time to give them to the b.
    Its something that seems to work fairly quickly…everyone is slow moving, gentle and has a GREAT treat...cheese, chicken, beef jerky...really something WONDERFUL.
    The b gets the treat, the smell of a "strange" human who does good things for it, and its win/win.
    I really would like to know the name of the breeder. Many of us know some of the breeders who are "off" the other lists...you can send it to me privately at brescue@wavecable.com If you wish.

• @DebraDownSouth:

ID. Also, not liking men can come from not being around men. Taking him to a park and passing out treats to men to come by and give him (easier if you have an assistant go around and ask guys!) really does help resolve that also.

This is absolutely true - my basenji/collie mix was owned first by a man, who seldom brought her around other people because he was unable to do so, which is also one of the reasons we got her from him. She never saw children at all, and is still, over a year later, afraid of them. She has learned to like the great-grandkids and neighborhood children, one at a time, and that may be how Rev will need to learn men are okay too.

• I just wanted to respond to this thread. I hope everything is going good with you and things are working out. The thing I wanted to respond to was the thought that a man may have abused him since he does not do well with men. A basenji can make their mind up about disliking something for no reason at all. My first Basenji was with me from 6 weeks of age and never had a man abuse him and at two years old decided he hated men for the next two years. I kept him socialized and kept getting men to feed him pet him while I had him stacked and holding his head, had them talk to him, go over hime etc. after a while his dislike left as quickily as it came. I have had a few dogs do this sort of stuff between 12 and 18 months I call it the stupid stage, they all the sudden don't like men, women, the grooming table, the trash can outside etc. It is important to work them through their fear so they can be a complete dog. Just think how it would be for you if say you were scared of men but had to see them daily just think how stressful your life would be. I hope if you keep him you help him get through this or if you place him please be honest with the new owners and recommend that they get him out and work him through this.

Suggested Topics