• @Jylly18:

Wow, can I relate to this one! So many people I have come in contact with are the same way, you tell them over and over, and yet they open the door wide open, stroll on in, watch the dog bound up to them, and not even move to close it…it drives me crazy! And then they look at me weird when I get paranoid as to where she is at all times...I get "Jill relax, she is fine." Yeah, right, fine with chewing up all your stuff, or running away...some people just drive me crazy! Especially when I then get labeled as "the weird dog person.":mad:

Thats what I am saying! I am always the over controlling dog person….they say "He can't hurt anything..." or "He's fine, don't worry so much" or "He's not going to go anywhere"

Then when he gets out, or chews up a precious item, it is "i thought you were watching him"

On the other hand, I have the easiest time with him when I visit parents with small children. Their houses are already dog proofed, because they are kid proofed, and they are used to watching doors. And, they understand that another living thing can be the most important thing to you, and they understand the instinct to protect it. I say this knowing that a dog is not a child....but not having children myself, Jack is my baby.

• Yes, b's and kids, its about the same type of concern and committment.

• Hey thanks for all your advice everyone. I went ahead and bought an electric fence for Cassie and an extra collar receiver for Polo. I figured that since the only time they really want to be outside is when my family is outside so I don't have to worry about anything like other dogs coming in. I bought a nice one too, one that has a low profile receiver on the collar so it wont weigh them down to much and it won't really get in their way. It's called like Petsafe Comfort Fit Deluxe or something. I can't wait until I get it…. I hope it works.

• Hi, I'm new here. My pup is half basenji and half lab. Ordinarily, I wouldn't join a basenji forum, but I sure could use some help with training. The basenji half pees on the floor and is an escape artist; the lab half barks.

Daisy doesn't try too hard to get out the door when it's open, but in the back yard you can't trust her for a minute. We have a 6-foot wooden privacy fence, and she can dig under it like nobody's business. After having to chase her down more than a dozen times, I finally installed a tether system. I have a long line (about 50 feet) from the back of the house, across the yard, to the garage, with a pulley thing on it, and about a 20-foot tether attached to it. Before I open the back door, I get her by the collar, open the door, clip the tether to her collar, and away she goes. She has the run of a pretty nice-sized yard, but the tether isn't quite long enough for her to reach the fence. Before I shortened the tether, she would still dig under the fence, and then have to just sit in the neighbor's yard until someone noticed her. Luckily, my neighbors are dog lovers and have a sense of humor. Silly dog. Even with the tether, she gets to be in the yard only when I'm home.

• For "door bolters" I didn't read all the post's so this may be duplicate info. Got a new catalog in the mail today from Hammacher Schelmmer, they have escapee deterent that I thought was a clever idea for certain applications here's a link http://www.hammacher.com/Product/79916?promo=Home-Living-Pets&catid=142
    It's not practical for a heavliy used door, but maybe a front door, UPS, FEDex delevery etc…you could probably rig something yourself if you're handy. The "not being able to see" may help or not......the nosey nellies.
    Maybe the person who designed the product has a B too ....ha ha ha 🙂
    Pam "PJ"

• I'm thinking a basenji would jump on it and tear the vinyl in a heartbeat, though it is a very clever idea. And would give you a moment to grab your dog before unclipping it to allow someone to come in. But for opening the door for UPS, Girl Scouts, Politicians, it would be great.

• That is really cool but that would not stop Jayden for a second and only stop Jaycee for about a second. We have just had to learn sorry who every is at the door have to wait until dogs are safe and away from door and cannot get out.

Rita Jean

• My sis, who owns a chow, didn't believe me when I said Kipawa would never be off leash. Now she believes me. I think she just thought I was being over protective. 😉

I have been fighting a bad cold/flu, so she offered to take Kipawa out for a walk. After the first walk, she came right out and said to me, "yes, this isn't a dog to let run off leash". I think she experienced his love to run, after anything. She had him on a long leash in a big right-of-way between some houses and I think she saw that if anything gets a basenji's attention, they are gone.

Please everyone, practice great care with your basenjis. Also make sure they are microchipped, tattooed or in the least have a tag with their name and phone number on it (but remember, a tag on a collar isn't the best as a collar can come off).

• I have 3 basenji and they all are different. My oldest female, Bella doesn't offer to even try to leave the fenced yard, but if an opportunity presents itself she's gone! And being a basenji, once she finds a way out she'll repeat what she learned. I had to stop her from digging at one section of the fence where she had found an opportunity. Perseverance and an automatic squirt gun took about 3 weeks and she doesn't bother any more. Since my youngest female, Angel (a definite misnomer) learns by what the other 2 teach her, I used the same method on her with success, but I never let her in the yard with my make, Mick. Mick is definitely an escape artist. No matter what, he never stops looking for a way out. I stopped the digging when they were little and they don't know they could go over the fence; and I don't allow the neighbor kids to climb on the fence for fear they'll learn that trick. But Mick can find the smallest places and squeeze through. I despaired of having to keep him on a chain for the rest of his life whenever he was out. I finally struck on the idea of using one of those medical cones and I works great! You have to make sure the collar is snug enough it can't be pulled off and I check it every time I take it off or put it on for wear, but so far it's working just great. He has to go out alone because the girls pull it off then he's gone, but I can now leave him in the fenced yard unsupervised. But I've watched him, he never stops looking for a way out.

Suggested Topics