• My basenji cries non-stop when she is in her outdoor kennel run and we are inside. My husband is at his wits end with her "noise". Anyone have some training tips to quiet her down outside?

• @alingenfel:

My basenji cries non-stop when she is in her outdoor kennel run and we are inside. My husband is at his wits end with her "noise". Anyone have some training tips to quiet her down outside?

My first question would be why is she outside in a kennel run and not in the house? If it were me and I was locked outside when my family was inside, I would cry non-stop too

• Most Basenji don't like to be alone. She is crying because she is lonely. You could try giving her some things to do when she is outside…like marrow bones, or kongs filled with peanut butter...but she may still howl.

• 1 on the above, but how long and how often is she out there? She is more then likely lonely and bored.

• Basenjis do not like being alone - especially when they can hear that the people they want to be with are nearby. Even if my girls were both outside and we were inside, they would be doing whatever it took to be inside with us. It's not unusual, what your girl is doing - if she has done her business and has no reason to be out except that you think she should be out - you are going to continue to hear her complaints.

• When I lived in Houston in an apartment, my Bs would yodel and make all kind of noises if they were inside and I was outside talking to the neighbors. I think what did it was hearing our voices. My deposit paid for the blinds they chewed on because they were frustrated! They will now yodel when I crate them while I take a shower in another part of the house. They want to be where their people are.

Jennifer

Suggested Topics