Skip to content

First Time Basenji-Less in 18 Months!

Basenji Talk

Suggested Topics

  • Advice for potential first-time basenji owners

    Basenji Talk
    67
    0 Votes
    67 Posts
    73k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    @Cafu LOL on cutting leash.. I am certain they have retractable scissors in their gums. I have had mine cut leashes and cut straps to clothing that were so smooth, nothing else but scissors explains it (okay or razor blades). Which is why I put these on the collars... snap/ o ring, chain, o ring, leash [image: 1508253202524-leash.jpg]
  • Help! Introducing first Basenji to adult cat.

    Basenji Talk
    12
    0 Votes
    12 Posts
    12k Views
    AnaA
    @krunzer: Oh welcome to you and your B baby! Where in Canada are you? If you have a puppy and a Cat I am hoping that with the puppy growing up with the kitty that all will be well. Would love to see pics of your B if you can post some! To answer your question, I am from Montreal! To update on my basenji baby and my cat, all is actually going better than expected!!! I am so happy! My cat sometimes even runs after him and they play fight. And when he bites just a little too hard, she smacks him. But I don't think she takes out her claws, because he doesn't yelp or cry when she does it. All in all, after all the fear I had about them not getting along is working out!!! I am really happy!!! But he has so much energy!! haha I tried attaching a picture of him!! Hope it worked!! [image: attachment_p_155565_0_431220_10150728531252247_506372246_11886537_459347846_n.jpg]
  • How Much MY Basenji Cost is His First Year:

    Basenji Talk
    35
    0 Votes
    35 Posts
    46k Views
    BARTB
    I haven't read the whole thread, but I understand a bit about the 'cost' of owning a basenji. It sometimes goes beyond what one might think of as 'normal' dog costs. I lost a lazyboy chair and quite a few clothes to my first fella. My second and current guy, not so much. I spent many dollars on their health; first guy had heartworm when I got him; just got past having a large fatty tumor removed from the leg of my current guy. I haven't been on the forum in a while but what I came on to say was; none of this matters…I had a pretty crappy day of a whole bunch of little things that amount to nothing individually, but taken together - crappy. When all was done and I came home, my boy was happy to see me, played with me, 'listened' to me and made me happy. That is priceless! BTW: Mods, I like the new color scheme, FWIW.
  • Basenji Time line

    Basenji Talk
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    4k Views
    P
    I'm ashamed to say, Pat, that I hadn't looked much at the BCOA website. As soon as posssible I'll visit there for a more studied look.
  • Our Basenji and Our 19 Month Old

    Basenji Talk
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    4k Views
    bellabasenjiB
    WoooHoooo Corky, way to go… good boy!!!:D:D:D:D:D
  • First Time Boarder

    Basenji Talk
    12
    0 Votes
    12 Posts
    10k Views
    serenjaneS
    You all make me feel so much better at the idea of boarding. Seren is 7 years old and has never been boarded. She is also not crate trained. I always have left her with my daughter and her 2 dogs while we were away and they got along well. Her dogs have since died and she now has 2 new dogs and they do not get along well with Seren. Since my daughter and her husband work I am afraid to leave them all together while we are gone. I now need to find a kennel or someone to come in and stay with her while we are away.