Skip to content

Is this a Basenji?

Basenji Health Issues & Questions
  • I think he is absolutely adorable, no matter what he is. IMO he has a little bit of a basenji look, but if I had him I wouldn't care what breed he was. You have obviously found yourself a wonderful companion! Oh, and welcome to the forum! Glad to have you and Tag here!

  • He is a really cute dog, sounds like a basenji mix, has the mannerisms, that last photo of him on the fence if very basenji-like!

  • I agree with Kipawa - he is a lovely boy whatever andf I'm sure whether basenji in him or no you love him just the same!!

    Without seeing him in the flesh I wouldn't like to give an opinion whether there is Basenji in him.

    Welcome to the forum.

  • I think you must have a mix there, he has the waistline, larger breast bone, some wrinkles on the forehead, some curl to tail, size, I don't think full-blooded though b/c he lacks a white tip tail, and the brown color, but he is very loving looking, and my B sleeps like him also. Whatever, I would treat him like a Basenji since he has alot of the mannerisms. Sweet!

  • Whoever and whatever he is, he is adorable - he does sleep like a basenji, and he's welcome, as are you, to the forum.

  • Yeah I've been doing some research on the Pariah dog and I do see the similarities but the weight is completely off…. He's 21lbs pariah dogs are 45-60lbs.

  • @Tagaroo:

    Here is my little pup. I love him very much and he is my best friend.

    Info:
    Tag, Now at 1.5 years old
    Male @ 21lbs
    Got him from the Atlanta Humane Society
    -They said he was a German Shepherd
    All muscle
    Very Fast
    Loving
    He has a single loop tale
    Short Fur, no shedding
    No Bark, but yodel.
    Wrinkle in the forehead
    Basic behavioral patterns that match a pure bread basenji.

    Weird thing is that he has all brown fur. LMK what you guys think.

    Mischievous as they are.

    looks like a croos but he is so cute….

  • A cute mix…but I do see some b in him!

  • I believe i see some B in him.. he's so adorable Love the pic with him looking at u from the side and also the one with him sitting like he's waiting for a cookie .. :)

  • That's a definite Basenji pose!!! very cute!

  • The yodel would indicate basenji in there for sure, lol but wow that is one incredibly cute dog! Bless you for rescuing.

  • So many of those poses and positions are the same things I see Paco do. I'm also no expert, and Paco's my first dog that's mine-all-mine for me to watch all the time, but I feel like Tag's face is very Basenji-like…and if he yodels as well...

    if he doesn't have Basenji in him, I'd at least say you could describe him to others as a Basenji-like dog.

Suggested Topics

  • Age of your basenji?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    42
    2 Votes
    42 Posts
    22k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Yeah you told me about that before and I'm clueless, but I'll try it if I need to, lol. could be the noise of occasional thump, could be they can hear it even tho we can't. My chow would be drooling buckets before we got a mile away. I just had to keep towels down and take off and bag along the trip. But I took her for a 7 hr trip to atlanta and she threw up and threw up, then stopped. Never threw up again. :( on your back. I had been getting radiofrequency ablations in the US, and they really helped. But doctors here will only do them once or twice. I have had at least 6 on one side, 3 on the other. :( But it's miraculous pain relief when it is done right. Maybe your dog acupuncturists knows of a human one they'd recommend?
  • Sick Basenji

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    5k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    I agree with Buddys Pal… if they didn't do either urinalysis or xray, I'd get them done. If you have a sick dog and the vet just sort of says "oh well, blood work looks okay".. may be time for a new vet. Something is obviously wrong.
  • My basenji

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    6k Views
    nobarkusN
    @snorky998: Were you thinking of Vestibular syndrome, Dan? http://www.basenjiforums.com/showthread.php?t=8577&highlight=vestibular+syndrome That's it Snorky!! :D
  • Is it a Basenji???

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    11k Views
    MandyM
    I have gotten the comment of min doberman. lol…. could have been her spiked Harley collar.
  • Those Basenji ears?!?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    5k Views
    BarklessdogB
    Our red girl dog has the same problem. Freaks out when you touch her ears with a swab, but loves the inside of her ears rubbed when petting her. You know the two handed ear & cheek rub. That gave me an idea!. I found some real soft white - tight gardening gloves (unused), gave her an ear massage and cleaned her ears out. it worked well. I was extra careful not to push the dirt down her ears, but did kind of a wiping motion out and away from her inner ears. She loved it!
  • Jumoke Basenjis

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    9k Views
    JazzysMomJ
    Oh well… at least it brought Jumoke to the foreground again! :-)