• @Quercus:

Jerry and Dana…wish you wouldn't leave.... and I hope that everything works out for the best.

+1
    I hope your family and Max can find a peaceful happy life in the future. Be it together or separately. Sometimes dogs come into our lives to stay, sometimes we are just there to help them to their future homes.

I also didn't read these posts as BRAT-bashing.

• @lvoss:

This is the one thing that BRAT could do better, realize that not all comments about them that aren't praise are not bashing either. I didn't read this person's post as bashing BRAT. They seemed confused about why things were done the way they were and frustrated that they didn't always gets answers when they sought clarification. Criticism is not bashing but hopefully can be used to improve the process and make adoption experiences more positive for everyone.

I do think that there was communication glitch here, both ways. The poster took for granted that they would get more detailed information when they picked up the dog but it also seems that BRAT didn't get enough information on the adoptive home's expectation to make a good match.

1. I am not Brat. And I'd have been upset over the post if it had be any breed, any rescue.
    2. Please explain to me how accusing a rescue of dumping a dog on you and lying isn't bashing, especially when you didn't bother to contact them.
    3. Explain to me how it isn't bashing the rescue when the person blames BRAT for not HAVING more info when they told him what they knew, he adopted the dog, picked it up and THEN thought they should have more info? If he wasn't satisfied with the amt of info, it was HIS FAULT ONLY for accepting the dog. End of story. They can't invent more than they knew.
    4. Please tell me how you surmised they didn't get enough info? Just because the 2 dogs didn't work out and they waited until this stage to get ANY type of help doesn't mean it was BRATs fault.

I am shaking my head at people saying they don't read it as a bash. Do me a favor, put YOUR KENNEL NAME or you in the place of all the Brat words and tell me again, honest, if you would think you weren't being bashed. What is Steven Colbert's word–- truthiness? Apply it. In fact, lol, why don't I go around the internet and post that first post with each of your names who say it wasn't bashing BRAT and see if you still think that and are that charitable to the OP. How about it? Any takers?

TO the OP, glad you contacted Liz, glad you have decided to do whatever for the dog. I sincerely hope you find a dog that fits your needs and that can get along with your dog. I truly do not believe every dog is right for every home and while this MIGHT have been fixable if you got help immediately, the only thing that matters is you do what is best for both of the dogs' safety.

• Sometimes a rescue group does not know much about a dog they have in their rescue. I fostered a female for BRAT who came from a shelter as a stray. I picked her up from the shelter and the only info I obtained was vaccine records. She did have a litter of pups in a dog house and the shelter adopted out the pups. I had to estimate her age and the only info I could give BRAT was what her behavior was at my house. I found out she could climb a four ft. chain link fence! Her behavior at my house might be different from her behavior at another foster or adopter.

Jennifer

• It's hard to know how each dog will do in a different home. We doing rescue, try to get the info to the adopters. There are not hard and fast behaviors, IMO..often it depends on the house and the way the folks react to the dog.

• It is true that rescue does not always get much information and with foster space limited there is a push to get dogs out of foster into permanent homes. This is a fact of life in rescue but for some people even though they are looking for a rescue they are not comfortable with a dog with that many unknowns.

I know of several people who have had bad experiences with BRAT where BRAT was in a bind a needed a home quickly and because of that made some errors that ended up leaving a bad taste about BRAT. I really think that BRAT selectively read what this couple said they wanted in a dog when making this placement and that set up a bad sequence of events because there was a mismatch in expectation and reality. In all honesty, if you thought someone ignores what you say when you talk to them, how likely are you to then pick up the phone and call them?

Mistakes were made on both sides but the poster was not the bad guy here, neither was BRAT. There was just no meeting of the minds when it came to what the perfect match for this household would look like.

• @lvoss:

Mistakes were made on both sides but the poster was not the bad guy here, neither was BRAT. There was just no meeting of the minds when it came to what the perfect match for this household would look like.

lvoss, I think you post pretty well sums up how I read the whole thing. I think our OP assumed that things would go as they had for our OP's first dealings with BRAT. Unfortunately everything just sort of fell apart. Hopefully there is a peaceful solution for everyone (dogs and humans) as we move forward.

• The only EXPECTATION the OP posted was a dog that liked to be outside. Again, if the dog liked to be outside PLAYING with another dog or people, and in THIS home no one goes out with him nor dog playmates, that is NOT an issue of BRAT not listening or meeting his expectations. You can bet your last dollar if this family said "Oh we want a dog that will just go hang outside by itself all day and not bother us" they wouldn't have gotten a dog.

As for the dogs, THIS couple allowed issues that could probably have been fixed (like simply BANNING both dogs from kitchen or eating area!!!) to escalate. Again, not an issue of BRAT not listening or miscommunication.

BRAT did not say "Hey, we withheld information and we'll send it with the dog." The OP seemed to assume that (though why would they not have asked for all info BEFORE accepting the dog, and simply REFUSE the dog if there wasn't enough info available?)– not a BRAT communication issue.

I don't doubt that some errors have ever been made by BRAT, or any rescue or any breeder for that matter! But I suggest unless you can PROVE the claims, you might want to consider that people lie, people don't take responsibility for their own actions, and people often blame the breeder or rescue when things don't go as they want. I know many people who badmouth both breeders and rescues and when light is shined on the actual facts, it falls apart pretty damned fast. Sadly, BRAT cannot reveal info, so they have to put up with people making up stuff. Too bad rescues cannot put a "you make untrue comments on public boards and we get to respond with our side and your actual application to show you lied you arse off about what you would do with the dog."

I know of several people who have had bad experiences with BRAT where BRAT was in a bind a needed a home quickly and because of that made some errors that ended up leaving a bad taste about BRAT.

• The only people who truly know what went down in this case is the people directly involved. Speculation on anyone else's part as to what mistakes were made is just that, speculation. The OP came to this forum to pose a problem and look for advice. In describing the situation the OP made a couple of comments that reflected how in their opinion this placement was poorly conducted in the first place, and described some frustration at the process, given that they had had a previous dog from BRAT that had arrived with more information and had worked out well. Because of the situation they found themselves in (picking up a dog from a volunteer transporting it, and finding little documentation with the dog), they accepted an animal that perhaps they would not have welcomed on sober second thought. It is unfortunate for all concerned, but playing the blame game isn't improving anything, IMHO.

As far as mistakes that were made in socializing these two dogs together…...well, I wasn't there, so I wouldn't care to speculate on whether it was done "correctly" or if they are just dealing with a personality conflict that just wasn't going to be resolvable. I am sure from their point of view it isn't pleasant to have tried hard and then be blasted for not getting it right.

For what it's worth, if I was looking to adopt a dog, I would not have been put off contacting BRAT by the OP's posts, but some of the responses could certainly make me think twice about getting involved with the organization!

• @eeeefarm:

For what it's worth, if I was looking to adopt a dog, I would not have been put off contacting BRAT by the OP's posts, but some of the responses could certainly make me think twice about getting involved with the organization!

LOL. Well first of all, a very fair post.

For the end, really, go look at threads where someone attacks a breeder without contacting them. I defend them with the same passion I show to rescue. My sense of fair play get riled. But please do remember I represent BRAT no more than I represent the breeders. It is my personal opinion.

As a rescue, and I have worked with many, they do a great job. It helps to be in a breed where almost any Basenji who is not a risk (ie temperament) can probably be saved by BRAT. When you work in Chow or Rottie rescue, where we have to turn down – no exaggeration -- 20 to 40 for every one we can take, working with BRAT is less traumatic. I can go to a shelter or home and know that if the dog is okay, it won't be put down. I used to walk in shelters to do evaluations on Rotties and Chows and come home crying because even if half of the dogs were stable and wonderful pets, I knew the shelter and local rescues MIGHT save 1 or 2 out of 6 to 10.

BRAT stands behind those dogs, as any rescue should. They take them back if there is ever a problem. They pay fosters for medical expenses, which a lot of rescues cannot. They provide support for owners and foster homes. There is NOTHING wrong with BRAT. Of course you get many individuals and some will not be your cup of tea, sometimes someone makes a bad call. But do not judge BRAT by your dislike for me or how I post.

Well actually, you might think about this. IF I were a BRAT rep, in any way official, I'd be muzzled or kicked out for expressing my VIEWS in a public forum even if I didn't give away any private info. So again, don't judge BRAT by me. And do remember that I am just as protective of anyone who gets blasted and accused who didn't get contacted first and given the opportunity to fix it.

Suggested Topics