• Just realize that they longer you wait with a possible intestinal blockage the greater the chance that large segments of the intestine could die and even if the blockage is later discovered and removed the intestinal damage may be unrecoverable.

• Just curious.. what were his Liver and Kidney values? from the blood work?

• @tanza:

I agree with lvoss, I think you are taking a really, really big chance with wait and see… and while I am certainly no Vet, but I totally disagree that he would have to be in pain if there was an obstruction. I also think that he needs to be seen for an xray or ultrasound (and I would opt for the ultrasound given a choice)

Again, not to scare you, but a very close friend of mine, her bitch was acting a bit off for a day or two... throwing up now and again... some diarrhea, so off to the vet, the ultrasound showed a blockage.. and this bitch that was healthly the week before died on the table

It IS scary.. when you'll mention a dog dies on the table a week after they're perfectly fine. 😞

The way we see it.. he's ok. IF anything goes wrong in the next few hours or next couple of days then of course a new course of action would be in place. 🙂

• @lvoss:

Just realize that they longer you wait with a possible intestinal blockage the greater the chance that large segments of the intestine could die and even if the blockage is later discovered and removed the intestinal damage may be unrecoverable.

Very true… they can only remove so much of the intestines with success...

• @-Clar|Emm|Kai-:

It IS scary.. when you'll mention a dog dies on the table a week after they're perfectly fine. 😞

Yes, intestinal blockages are scary. Really scary, because often the symptoms are intermittent and/or subtle so it is easy to say, "I'll just wait and see," meanwhile the internal damage being done can be extensive. Intestinal blockages are probably the second most common cause of accidental death in basenjis following cars.

• @-Clar|Emm|Kai-:

The way we see it.. he's ok. IF anything goes wrong in the next few hours or next couple of days then of course a new course of action would be in place. 🙂

Of course his is your dog… but I have to say, if my dog.. I would be at the Vets office without fail... as they say, better to be safe then sorry.... and if he has a low blood count, he could already have a perforation and that is causing the anemia. And on top of that, it is a strain to the other organs, Liver/Kidneys that can cause damage..that might not be reversable.

For sure you already know that he ate something he should not have... we have all been there, done that... but I am not sure I would just leave it to "time" to see if it gets better. But that is me....

Been there, done that with my Kristii ... and she would have been over the Rainbow Bridge had we not done the ultrasound... she was 10 at the time... and who would have thought that at that age she would have gotten into something she sound not have... we never did figure out what it was... and I have to say, that set back my credit card balance quite a bit!!!

• @-Clar|Emm|Kai-:

You're right Sue! I checked Kairoe's vaccination records and double-checked with Arlene.. he did get his Parvo shots! Now that's one less thing to be worried about! 😃

Great! Yes, one less thing to worry about. I hope he feels better soon…they can be such a worry.

Ms. Patty: AJ doesn't have the opportunity to get into very much and doesn't eat his bedding, so I don't get the joy of technicolor poo and the guessing game...What Was It This Time?

• My Lenny had an intestinal obstruction a while back. Quite a scary experience. After a two days of not eating/drinking/throwing up/lethargic-ness I took him to the vet and had him put on IV fluids and gave him a barium swallow followed by x-rays every 3 hours. $1700 later he passed a piece of rubber on his own. He immediately perked up and I thought we were in the clear. The vet expressed the same concern to me that there could be still something in there but I decided to wait and see.

3 MONTHS later he started the same routine - not eating/drinking/throwing up and i waited 3 days to see if he'd pass it on his own. When he didn't, I just took him to the vet and they did surgery $1300. I almost wish I had the surgery done the first time - would have been less than half the cost.

X-rays didn't show anything definitive since rubber is not opaque to xrays… but it was there...

Good luck - I know how worrisome it is....

• Kairoe seems to be on the mend today, well pretty much since last night. He's eating and drinking and not throwing up and no diarrhea (stool is soft with some form to it). We're still with the frequent smaller meals to avoid shocking his stomach with too much food.. and so far so good.

We've considered possible causes (which is many and alarming) of his iron deficiency and will be doing more research about it. The vet has also been good in calling us to check how he's doing.. and I assured him that we'd be there right away as soon as we notice anything wrong.

Thanks everyone for the support and advise. This may or may not be over yet (but we sure hope it is!).. just want to stress out that all your help has been deeply appreciated! 🙂

• Glad to hear Kairoe seems to be on the mend 🙂

Suggested Topics