Skip to content

Probably clear test but is losing weight and looks poor

Basenji Health Issues & Questions
  • My girl has a probably clear test by OFA. I am taking her to the vet in a couple days because she is loosing weight and her coat is poor. she is not excessively thirsty or acting like she is sick. Can the genetic test be wrong? Has any one heard of this? Any thoughts. thank you

Suggested Topics

  • Losing hair

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    8k Views
    QuercusQ
    Could she be scratching?…I have one that when she scratches her neck, even a little, she gets a reaction like you are explaining. It is a bad flea year here for us...so she also is super reactive if she gets a flea bite, then she will start scratching, and get a hot spot, like immediately...
  • Looking for help

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    wizardW
    You might want to watch her carefully in regard to her food, treats, and whatever she eats when you're not looking. Then change one by one to see if the diarrhea is indeed because of the particular brand of food.
  • Test strips

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    26
    0 Votes
    26 Posts
    20k Views
    SchouiffyS
    @JustJunie: Hi, I am new. I am owned by 3 basenji's, one of which was just adopted. I was told that he has that disease and that I need to have a blood test every 6 months. Do you think this is the one that costs $60? I would like to take as good of care as I can for Banjo and I really do not understand all of the ins and outs. I was told to feed him bananas to keep his potassium up, but alas he doesn't seem interested in them. Any information you could share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Hello! I was hoping we would see you on this site!! Thanks so much for adopting Banjo there!! He has quite a long thread (in the Rescue/Adoption forum) of admirers. We would love to see pics of the gentleman. :)
  • Titers Testing

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    41
    0 Votes
    41 Posts
    25k Views
    Kris_ChristineK
    Dog owners weighing the cost of titers against the seemingly lower cost of a possibly redundant booster should consider the estimated numbers of adverse reactions to immunization and the cost of treating an adverse reaction. Time Out: Rabies Researchers Assess New, Long-lasting Vaccine NEWStat, American Animal Hospital Association June 25, 2008 http://newsmanager.commpartners.com/aaha2/issues/2008-06-25/index.html "A rabies vaccine and vaccination schedule with a seven year DOI will reduce the number of animals that develop adverse reactions following immunization, which is currently estimated to be 1-3% of the population." Based on the estimate of "…more than 72 million pet dogs in the U.S." from the American Veterinary Medical Association U.S. Pet Ownership & Demographics Sourcebook (2007 Edition)http://www.avma.org/reference/marketstats/sourcebook.asp, the currently estimate 1-3% of the population adversely reacting to vaccination translates into between 720,000 and 2,160,000 dogs.
  • Fanconi Test

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    4k Views
    QuercusQ
    @etzbseder: Thanks, I've seen that before, but forgot about it. After looking at that, it shows that my answer would be: Clear pups ONLY means that neither parent is affected, and that does not change with multiple clear pups. The only thing that shows any determination of the parents is a test of the parent themselves (or if their grandparents are clear). correct. The more clear pups (with no affecteds or carriers) you had from the breeding of the same two animals, the more LIKELY it is that the parents are clear…but it certainly would not be a for sure.
  • Testing Strips

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    tanzaT
    And remember everyone, they really do go bad, so please do not use them past the date….. if there are some of you that live close or even you could do it by mail, you might think about sharing the strips instead of just tossing them