Otis is having a field…day..

• Houston

We took Otis out to the fields again so he could run free like he was built to do..Moses was coming along as well, but we had to turn around and bring him back home, his poor stomach does not deal with car rides at all..

But Otis had a ball chasing the kids and having the kids chase him..

Here he is jumping through the grass..

This is one of my favorites..you can see how happy he is..

A flock of geese flow over so we had to lay down and watch that spectacle..they were so loud..

Look at him stare at those noice makers..

We had a wonderful day.

• Car rides are a problem? Does he throw up? Give him a couple of dry biskets before your trip. That has worked in the past for me. Lovely photos.

• Houston

Sharron, he is so sick, he won't keep anything down..I've even tried ginger snaps, ginger tea and crackers, empty stomach vs full stomach, in a crate out of a crate, with the windows down, him facing backwards, him facing forward..he starts drooling/foaming while we load him up and once we are around the bend on our street he starts vomiting. Poor little BIG guy.
    I will have a talk with my vet about maybe giving him something prescription type so I can bring him along. Last time I took him to a friends house in the country, 1.5 hour car ride, he vomited 7 times.

• Oh, my how about some of that stuff sorry, can't remember the name they give you for being seasick?
    Last time I did a cruise, they had a patch I put on..helped a lot.

• Great photos, Petra! Otis loves to run free, obviously. Sorry about poor Moses, maybe he will outgrow it.

• Houston

Could you use something for humans?
    I was worried about that, but will do some research..yes poor Moses..he's got it bad.
    I am very much the same way, when I was a child it was enough for me to hear about a cartrip..I still get very motionsick if on a boat, or on a buss way in the back, or even on a plane if it is a little rough..so I understand how miserable he must feel.

Thanks Macpack..He does so well out there..until he sees the cows way in the distance..oh he wants them cows bad.

• Poor guy. We do use many human drugs on b's..but I would phone the vet and run it by him first.

• Great shots Petra. Looks like all had fun except poor Moses. Try taking him for very short rides everyday. Like around the block and he may get used to the motion.

• Great pics of a very happy Otis!

• Lovely pics, looks like you had a wonderful day. What a shame about Moses, i hope he gets over it, poor chap 😞

• Great pics :D.
    I'm looking forward to our "field days" :). Fortunately it seems spring is coming here. Dogs already need a lot of movement, winter has been a little bit long for them :rolleyes:.

• @Basenjimamma:

Could you use something for humans?
    I was worried about that, but will do some research..yes poor Moses..he's got it bad.
    I am very much the same way, when I was a child it was enough for me to hear about a cartrip..I still get very motionsick if on a boat, or on a buss way in the back, or even on a plane if it is a little rough..so I understand how miserable he must feel.

Thanks Macpack..He does so well out there..until he sees the cows way in the distance..oh he wants them cows bad.

Yes you can use over the counter motion sickness pills on dogs

• Houston

Thanks Tanza, we stock up on those..both me and my kids have issues when flying.
    How much do I give him, he is about 47-50 lbs right now, 9 months old.

• These pics are so adorable.

I remember we used to prescribe Dramamine for dogs when I was vet-teching, but I cannot remember the dose.
    Benadryl can also have anti-emetic properties, and the dose for that is 1mg/lb.

Give your vet a call, they should be willing to give you the dosing info for dramamine.

-Nicole

• First Basenji's

Great pics! Otis looks so happy! I love to watch Bs run.

I hope that you can find Moses some relief so he can join in the fun as well.

• @nkjvcjs:

These pics are so adorable.

I remember we used to prescribe Dramamine for dogs when I was vet-teching, but I cannot remember the dose.
    Benadryl can also have anti-emetic properties, and the dose for that is 1mg/lb.

Give your vet a call, they should be willing to give you the dosing info for dramamine.

-Nicole

My vet recommended that same dosage of Benadryl. It seems to work, but it makes him groggy, so it's probably best for long drives.

I'll have to chat with my vet about Dramamine. Fortunately for me Kananga only gets sick sometimes. I tend to avoid feeding him anything a few hours before a car ride. We all know the signs (licking their lips, general upset look, etc).

• Houston

Moses starts foaming and dripping early on in the trip..like right around the corner from our house..but I am calling my vet to ask him about the dosage..greta idea guys thanks.
    Yes, one of the greatest thinks about these hound breeds..is watching them run, so I would love for Moses to come along and have fun too.

• Maybe taking him on short trips with some walks and dry treats between the drives might help him?
    Don't know, just an idea.

• Your pictures of Otis are so great - plain to see he was having a wonderful time! As to Moses sickness, my vet in the past has given me a prescription for vomiting when Gemma was running both ends a while back, and it worked very well. Your vet should be able to help you with that.

• Houston

Just wanted to add that I gave Moses a guarter of a pill for children for motion sickness, waited for about an hour and then took him with us to the wildeness park that is about 40 minutes from the house..
    He did great, no foaming no throwing up no nothing.

Thanks guys for your advice..Moses will ow come along when we go to run the fields.

Suggested Topics